Whats Happening

Whats Happening

Posted by lin 
lin
Whats Happening
August 23, 2006 08:04PM
Different reports being written on this site, I was begining to believe this terrible tragedy was being sorted and everything was back to normal in the sense that all bars,restaurants were open and everyone was ok.

Now i see reports that only 1 restaurant open,all people leaving, 1 hotel destroyed.

Has anyone got a true account of whats happening????
roy
Re: Whats Happening
August 23, 2006 09:29PM
I live here in Paliouri near Pefkohori and I assure you that it is all back to normal all is open and safe
Leigh
Re: Whats Happening
August 24, 2006 03:55AM
I would just like to inform anybody that is about to depart for their holidays to Halkidiki that there is no danger and don't be put off coming.

Was it bad? Yes it was.

Is it a disaster? No it isn't. Everybody WAS running scared wondering whether they WERE in danger, if their homes/businesses/cars were on fire andif they would ever recover from such terrible events.

How are things now? The effort of the locals to restore order and normality has been outstanding. Everybody taking part in their own little clean up operations. After a meeting with the local shop owners, everybody is converging on the square at 7AM to clean up any remaining damage or anything affected by the smoke and ash, not fire. I can count on one hand how many hours sleep my wife has had in the last 3 days. Many of the villagers risked their own lives keeing Hanioti village the beautiful and safe holiday destination that it was and still is. We owe them a debt of gratitude. The very night after the main fire, as soon as we had electricity and water, we were open. The next night, everything was open. So things are pretty good considering....

What about the smoke and ash? Yes the last few days have been affected by smoke but every day gets better and better. A little smoke was to be expected as thousands of square metres of countryside went up in flames. The ash, well, nothing a good hosing or sweeping hasn't sorted.

I am speaking for Hanioti but I am sure this is being repeated up and down the peninsular by other villages.

So, if you are planning to visit, there is a friendly welcome waiting for you and please dont abandon us for the sake of a lot of exaggeration and sacremongering.

Leigh & Eleni

The Hot Goblin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login