Sea urchins

Sea urchins

Posted by Karen 
Karen
Sea urchins
September 17, 2005 10:06PM
Not long got back from Halkidiki and twice i was attacked by sea urchins once at pefkohori and also at athitos,no warnings or signs,and my god the pain,like treading on glass. Be warned if you find a secluded beach like we did in athitos..avoid!!
Jane
Re: Sea urchins
September 18, 2005 08:05AM
Karen, I do sypathise it must have been awful pain, but sea urchins don't attack, they just lie there in the sea. There are no warning signs or anything because it is impossible to know where they are, but they do generally congregate around rocks etc. so it is as well to be aware of that. The same applies to all the Med, in fact worldwide we have seen them, but your rep if you went with a holiday company should have mentioned the possibility.

Don't let it put you off Greece, or anywhere else in the Med. I have been going over 25 years to Greece and never trod on a sea urchin yet, and there were loads in Skopelos.
Emma
September 18, 2005 08:30PM
We have just returned from hanioti and was warned about sea urchins but never heard of anybody getting stung.
CHRIS
September 18, 2005 08:35PM
I wear a pair of beach shoes just in case, but this is my 3rd visit to area and only problem I find is the wasps.
jeff
September 19, 2005 06:56AM
the answer to wasps is Johnsons OFF spray , available from most supermarkets in greece, it works on flys , wasps an mozzies, spray all over yourself each morning /night, ive never been stung, bitten or bothered by flys .
Jane
September 19, 2005 07:36AM
Thanks Jeff, we always recommend Johnsons OFF for mozzies, but never realised it worked with wasps too. So I don't need to panic now that the Wasp Away spray no longer seems available in the UK.

Cheers !
Brandon
October 06, 2005 05:53PM
i am trying to look up sea urchins but i cant find them

P.S. I hate Wasps
Brandon
October 06, 2005 05:54PM
i am trying to look up sea urchins but i cant find them

P.S. I hate Wasps
ba
October 06, 2005 05:55PM
i love wasps!!
Brandon
October 06, 2005 05:55PM
CHEERS
Brandon
October 06, 2005 05:57PM
if u can find anything on sea urchins send it to me
ba
October 06, 2005 05:57PM
why do they always send the poor
ba
October 06, 2005 05:58PM
i cry when angels deserve to die!!!
Mike
October 07, 2005 01:46AM
Try Google or Yahoo and just type in `sea urchins`. You will be bombarded with information about them. If in doubt, always wear a pair of plastic sandals etc. It is generally fairly expensive to have them removed by the local doctor - cost me £30 after I trod on one while in Turkey. I learn my lesson from there on in. If in doubt at any resort ANYWHERE, just ask the locals.
steve@marie
October 08, 2005 08:43AM
`sea urchinssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
steve
October 08, 2005 08:44AM
monkey pantsssssssssssssssssssss on the beach
jeff
October 08, 2005 09:03AM
ok so your a S.O.T.D fan smiling smiley smiling smiley
BA
KIM
October 11, 2005 03:25PM
OH MY GOSH! CANT BELIVE URE TALKIN BOUT SEA URCHINS! HEHE
kerrie w
October 17, 2005 01:01PM
i got back from polichrono mid september. hears about sea urchins but thankfully never came across one. i agree about those bloody wasps. i spent most of my time running around the beach screaming.
Lyn
October 17, 2005 03:18PM
Are there wasps all summer. Going beginning of June.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login