holiday prices 2006

holiday prices 2006

Posted by andy 
andy
holiday prices 2006
August 02, 2005 03:42PM
we visited vicky apartments june 7th 2004 and we paid £708 for 2 weeks for the both of us and we got £60 off cos we had a voucher from the previous year so it was a cheap holiday, anyway we were gonna book vicky for june 26th 2006 for our honeymoon until the new thomson greece 2006 brochure came out, i couldnt believe my eyes the price was comming up as £1050, i wouldnt pay that for any self catering holiday, so we have decided to go to an island called santorini in the resort of kamari, it looks lovely, and its a lot cheaper, im not knocking hanioti cos we like it very much but theres no way we are paying that money, its nice to go somewhere different and im looking forward to santorini now

cheers
C
Re: holiday prices 2006
August 03, 2005 12:55PM
Hi,

I can't say I blame you, I used to rep and covered Vicki's for a couple of months. Although it is a lovely place and the appartments are nice, the owners fantastic, I certainly wouldn't pay that sort of money. It could always come up as a late deal or cheaper next year but I think you have done the right thing. It's a shame cause it is a really nice resort and accommodation.
Enjoy Santorini, looks stunning.

C xx
Jane
August 03, 2005 01:30PM
This seems to be the trouble with Halkidiki nowadays. We have been going over 25 years, and obviously it has grown and got more well known over that time, especially I would say over the last 5 years. So what happens? Tour operators try to cash in and make more money from it. Trouble is with the Euro now making everything more expensive than it was before, people don't want to pay over the odds for the accommodation and then find they are paying higher prices for food etc. (although still cheaper than the UK, it is fast catching up). It is a shame because Halkidiki is a lovely place but gradually with this overpricing and overbuilding of new resorts I feel it will lose out in the end.

Enjoy Santorini though. Although we have been going to Halkidiki so long we have also been to various islands like Skopelos, Leros, Chios, Lesvos. If you like Greece, you shoud like it anywhere mostly, although we try for the quieter areas/resorts (well we are getting on a bit !) Nothing will stop the Greeks being such nice people wherever you go in Greece
jeff
August 04, 2005 07:17PM
well same happened to Spain/ minorca/majorca/ibetha

so gess its gonna get to greece too

BRING BACK THE DRACHMA
nathan
August 08, 2005 10:10PM
you wont be dissappointed with santorini because the caldera is one of the most stunning sights on earth and the best sunset in the world.
holiday companies seem to be ripping us all off at the moment, we were in polychrono in june and we paid £850 for two weeks s/c for the two of us.

hope you enjoy santorini.
sakis
August 09, 2005 09:45AM

Hi Nathan

I can only totally agree with you that Yes most of the holiday companies do ripping you off at many cases.
Self catering for 850 pounds in Polychrono it is expensive.
Have a look at the following example.
For A well furnished apartment in Kriopigi,( 4 km from polyhrono )with all the self catering facilities, suitable for 2 -3 persons at the high season (July - August )doesn’t cost more than 25 - 30 euro maximum per day -17 pounds to 21pounds per day .Please note this is the price per room and NOT per person, lets say 20 pounds per day as a round figure, 10 pounds per person per day, x 14 days 140pounds x 2 persons 280 pounds .
Plus 110 pounds per person the flight to Thessaloniki return if you book early (some friends of mine they paid 82 pounds only return )say 220 pounds for the flight .for both.
A taxi from and to the airport no more than 75 pounds.
Lets add all these together:
Apartment 280 pounds
Flight 220 pounds
Taxi 75 pounds
Maximum total 575 pounds.
You’ve paid 850 - 575 = 275 pounds save at least !!
And you ‘ll treated as a King, as most of the apartment are family owned some with a pool and some also with air condition.
Also the excursions with the holidays are also very expensive too.
Another example:
A trip to Mount Athos costs with Thompson 51 euros when the same trip
with the same boat but with a local company costs only 38 euros
So, a family of four pays with Thompson 204 euro, when with the local company 152 euro ONLY.
I’m involved with the tourism business for more than 25 years and I don’t like a word called .....commission.
That commission is what the holiday makers paying to their travel agents
and to their reps at the welcome meetings and makes their holiday an Expensive one
I wrote all that to inform the holiday makers how to save money, so they can come back to Halkidiki again and again and again , as it’s really a secret paradise and not a expensive destination.
Have a great holiday in Halkidiki.
Chris Bass
August 09, 2005 10:25AM
Sakis,

As a brit that has been travelling to halkidiki for ten years I can only echo your comments re Tour Operators.

I know one hotel who in the end told Thomson to get stuffed as the rates they were demanding would have meant that they would have lost money on the rooms, this was after they had increased prices on the rooms to holiday makers the previous year by 20%.

It is true that Greece has become more expensive since the introduction of the Euro but living and working in London it is still cheap.

I have also noticed that British Airways now flies direct to thessaloniki and is sold out! Obviously these must be like minded brits :-)
Wendy
August 09, 2005 10:58PM
Iv'e been doing a lot of internet research into apartments and hotels
for our holiday in Hanioti region for July 2006. Only ever been to Greel islands once,Crete - but love the look of Halkidiki.
Like the look of Polochrono and Pefkohora area. I have been comparing the tour operator package prices for renting direct from owners or with hotel and then adding flight + transfer.

Found some really nice apartments and hotels for 30 to 40 euros per night
BUT
Its really difficult to get a quote now for flight only now for July 2006, but the ones I have had have been £200 - £300 per person return!!!
I had a quote for taxi transfer return of £158.

Couldn't get the price of doing it independently less than with package
yet feel should be able to.

Can you advise which companies might be selling flights for £110 pp rerturn? Plus any other advice.

many thanks
Julie
August 13, 2005 09:20AM
If you get a last minute deal you can get a weeks self catering for £99 in June in Hanioti. I have numerous nice 2 bedroom apartments for rent in Hanioti with air con, tv etc. for 400 euros per week. Thomson are doing cheap flights here now, again if you wait until last minute you can find them at cheap as £30 oneway.
Jane
August 13, 2005 12:07PM
Message for Sakis. Sakis, we are very good friends of Morfy and Sakis at Gluko. I cannot seem to get Sakis on his mobile and I know at this time of year they are busy, but I have heard via Kezzy that Sakis has to have an op for his kidney stones. Do you know anything, and could you pass on a message to Morfy to say we are thinking of them and will keep trying texting. We will phone on the landline later this month if we hear nothing. Thanks Sakis. Jane and Martyn Calladine
Mags
August 18, 2005 08:10AM
Hi
We've been going to Vicky since 2003, and are due to fly out again on 31st August. We've noticed not only has the price altered for next year, but also the flight from Manchester has changed time! Instead of being 6.25am, returning into Manchester at 3pm, it now goes in the afternoon and lands back in Manchester in the early hours! We have young children, and wont do night flights so we wont be in Hanioti next year. We've trying Turkey!!
john (yanis)
August 18, 2005 07:27PM
hi andy. if you want to go back to hanioti for your honeymoon then we have a three bed detached house there that we may rent out to the right people. this is not a holiday home its our home. but we are back in england now. john
lynn
vicki apartments in hanioti, halkadiki
July 05, 2006 09:32PM
has anyone been to the vicki apartments in hanioti recently, planned a family holiday in august and would like to know what to expect. ages ranging from 22 to 59, is there lots to do and see for the ones that like to get out and about, would love you to e-mail me thanks
Julie
July 06, 2006 10:58AM
John, I have a family looking to rent a large house for the whole of August.

Could you post your email address on here so I can contact you.
July 06, 2006 01:14PM
My family and I go to Gerakina every year and cant believe how cheap we get it which is the reason we keep going. The food is great and we are treated well and on top of it , it is safe for the kids. This is a fantastic holiday in Halkadiki at thr right price
July 07, 2006 08:59AM

Sorry Julie cant help for August, fully booked. But for future reference the house sleeps 5/6 and is just up the road from the Daphne hotel. My email is joannecole@fsmail.net if you would like any info

Regards Joanne and John
July 26, 2006 09:05AM

Re flight prices

Flights with thompson fly on line 2 people £300 including transfer, meal, and seating together monday 31st July.

Flight only with ba really good prices if booked early.
July 26, 2006 07:38PM
well ive just sorted my holiday for 2007

after all the messing about trying to find a holiday in Fourka which may i add no one is covering 2007 for Fourka.

yes you can get to Hanioti,, Kriopigi, or anywhere else for that matter but not Fourka

soooooooooooooooooooooooo

im booking flight only to seloniki with bus transfer to fourka then get my own accommodation when i arrive in Fourka

JOB DONE

cant wait to see all my doggy friends IF theres any left smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login