Jellyfish in polichronos?!

Posted by HOSKO02 
February 12, 2006 12:33PM
Im going on holiday to Polichronos in the summer.
Ive previously been to agias trada in thesaloniki last summer, and saw a small blue jellyfish there. What are the dangers of jellyfish in the waters near and around polichronos and how can I avoid them possibly?
I sure want to swim in the sea, but im very scared of being stung!
Please help, has anyone had any experiences/seen any?
Jane
Re: Jellyfish in polichronos?!
February 12, 2006 04:25PM
I have never been stung by a jelly fish in the 30 years I have been going there. And for three years when we lived there I was in the sea every day.

Generally I have only seen two types of jelly fish. One is the small almost see through triangular type that sometimes floats about. I have picked these up to look at and I am pretty sure they dont sting as I have always been OK, and they have no hairs or tentacles to sting with anyway.

I have also seen, not many, but a few large jelly fish of the type you usually associate with the word. Big, round with tentacles all around. Generally I saw these at Sani and Siviris, but only very rarely. I believe it was usually around both May and October I saw the large ones.

They dont actively seek to sting you, and float with the currents. So if there is a storm and it brings some of the larger type in, you can generally see them at a distance as the water is so clear.

Just dont worry about it. I went to Thailand and the first time I went in the sea I got stung ! I have NEVER been stung in Greece.

Hope this helps
Jane
roy
February 12, 2006 06:02PM
The large ones are the Cassiopeas.Very beautiful and harmless.
Sometimes there are very small jelly type creatures that have a very tiny sting a bit like a nettle and goes quickly
jeff fourkas mad dog man
February 13, 2006 08:00AM
when i was in fourka 2 yrs ago, on the wednesday we had a great storm over nite, next day close to the beach while swimming, i saw BROWN jellyfish the size of dinner plates, fortunatly i swam away from them .

Also while in seloniki, i saw the veryyyyyyyy big BLUE ones, but was out the water then, (i wouldnt swim around seloniki anyway).

as jane says u can see them floating about

lee
May 09, 2006 01:10AM
That brown jelly fish has lots of coloured spots around the edge,they are lethal,my mate who is a fitness freek got done by 1,he said if he was a kid it would have killed him.the see through 1s are ok thow & the jelly fish should only be there september time i think
jeff fourkas mad dog man
May 10, 2006 08:17AM
Having been Stung by jelly fish in Majorca some years ago am very weary of anything that looks jelly lol

but them big BROWN mothers chased me towards Fourkas beach and they wernt on no tide they actually followed me on my airbed towards the beach ..

arnica.csustan.edu

www.rachelleb.com

check these out...
lee
June 05, 2006 03:06PM
Was it see through airbed,they probably thought you was the daddy jelly fish haha just joking,the best advice i can give is take a mask & check often,thats about september time.
Roy
June 05, 2006 06:03PM
I have been diving with Odyssey dive club www.odysseydive.com for many years now.
Most of the jellyfish that you will see in the area do not sting and that includes the big ones called cassiopia.
Sometimes you do get small stining crinoids in the water that will feel like a sting from a nettle but this is very rare.
If you have any questions go to the odyssey web site and email them with your questions
Roy
lee
June 07, 2006 07:44PM
Hello roy,my mate andy got done by what he said was a jelly fish,i know for some months after he had a giraffe patern from it on his body,he said he was in agony,and he was an ex pro boxer,i dunno!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login