Property buying experiences

Posted by Huw 
Huw
June 03, 2006 12:39PM
Hi I'm looking to buy a two bedroom apartment in Halkidiki in June. I was just wondering if there was anybody out there with any exeprience.
I.E. good estateagents,lawers,notarys.
Pitfalls.
Is there a greek price nad a locals price?
Mathew
Re: Property buying experiences
June 04, 2006 09:32AM
Hi, I bought a place in Afitos in 2004, but didn't use an estate agent, just bought straight from the developer. Some will quite rightly say it's more risky, but it worked out fine for us. We remain friends with the developer and he helps us out a lot with all manner of things, which has made the whole experience much much easier. But clearly, just like in the UK and the rest of the world, there are people who are only too willing to relieve you of your money without keeping their end of the bargain. If you want to take this approach you'll see the signs outside developments with their phone numbers etc.

We were shown around a few places by Halkidiki Homes, who are based in Hanioti - www.@#$%&.co.uk. I believe they are run by a Greek/English husband and wife team and are able to take you through the whole process, putting you in touch with lawyers etc. Using an agent is clearly less risky, but you'll pay a commission.

We found the actual process of buying quite straight forward (the signing of the contract is a bit of an event), but we were helped considerably by the developer who took us to all the various places to get tax numbers, pay taxes etc. I used a lawyer from Thessaloniki who is on the British Consulate's (in Thessaloniki) list. He's English speaking, trustworthy and arranged everything, including the notary and translator - to translate the contract before we signed. If you are interested I can give you his contact details.

With regards to prices - (I generalise) Just be wise to the notion that Greeks enjoy getting one over on each other, let alone you, so do your research and be ready to negotiate and to walk away - there are lots of new builds going up all over, so there's plenty of scope to play developer's off on each other and bag yourself a deal. When we bought, a reasonable guide to price was approx. 1000 euros per SqM, but this will vary according to location etc. I expect prices have risen since then, but ask around and speak to locals - they'll tell you whether something is too expensive. Bear in mind the cost of purchasing (about 12% in taxes, lawyers, notaries etc.) and if you go through an agent, their commission.

Buying furniture is easy - just go to IKEA in Thessaloniki, which is just by the airport. They deliver as well. You can get all your electricals and white goods from the shops around there.

All in all, we're very happy with the way things worked out. Essentially, you have to trust your instincts and I guess if you go it alone, don't pay any money out that you can't afford to lose.

Huw
June 04, 2006 11:30AM
Thanks Mathew for your info , nice to see somebody else haveing the the same opion as myself i.e.don't pay any money out that you can't afford to lose.
huw
June 04, 2006 05:40PM
Sorry Mathew I forgot to ask for the details of your Lawyer. If you could forward them I would be greatfull.
Mathew
June 04, 2006 06:16PM
Hi, the lawyer's name is Mr Dingas-Chardalias (you don't pronounce the C. and if asked you want the son whose name I think is Dimitri). Tel +30 2310 262622. Email = dinga-laws@the.forthnet.gr
He is based at 15 Metropoleos Street, Thessaloniki.

The last I knew lawyers fees are restricted to 1% or 1.5% of the transaction value + costs (search fees etc.)

Hope all goes well with your search.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login