Halkidiki - SUMMER 2006!!!!

Posted by Michelle 
Michelle
May 01, 2006 06:23PM
Hi there,

In exactly 3 weeks today I shall be flying out to halkidiki as my sister is getting married out there. My holiday is due to end on May 29th however I have already handed my notice in as work here in the uk as I plan to work the summer 2006 in halkidiki.

My fam will be flying home end of May and I shall be waving them a goodbye for hopefully at least about 3months (what’s the longest you can work without a visa or will I need to get one anyway?). I will be travelling from the sani resort and having a look around Hanioti or Kalithea. I didn’t want to use my family holiday looking for work so I plan to look after they have gone, looking for a cheap hotle/b&b... (anybody knows any good/cheap places to recommend (in Hanioti or Kalithea) - how much would it cost ish?)

It would be great if I could arrange something before I come out but I know nothing could be definite till I am actually out there.

However, I do have one claw! As I shall be bridesmaid for my sisters wedding. On June 10th my sister will be having her reception back here in England so that all the people that could not make it to Halkidiki can still be part of there special day. I have no intension on missing that for the world so I would need to fly home - latest would be 1st thing sat 10th June and will be prepared to fly bk to halkidiki 1st thing on Sunday the 11th. If anybody id interested in taking me on you would need to be aware of this. Hopefully it should not make too much of a difference.

If anybody wants to contact me -- please, please do so....
michelle_leeth@hotmail.com

Any geed back would be fantastic!

Look forward to the 2006 season!

Shell
xXx
Michelle
Re: Halkidiki - SUMMER 2006!!!!
May 01, 2006 06:30PM
Sorry - me again....

i should have read that thru again before i posted it as there is a few mistakes!

Sorry guys,,,, hope you all understand what i ment!
dave
May 01, 2006 09:21PM
im off out there for 2 weeks on the day you come back ha ha
May 02, 2006 01:25PM
try George and Dimitrias farm,off the main road opposite the marsuitis(large supermarket)lovely people,clean rooms with shower,cheap and peaceful,i found them by chance when i ran away from my 40th birthday !! Good luck,take care and have fun.
Maria.
May 02, 2006 01:26PM
OOppps,Hanioti.....blonde moment,sorry winking smiley
May 02, 2006 03:50PM
Maria i stayed there too when i worked in Hanioti one year,nice rooms,very quiet & the family are lovely.Michelle don't bother looking for a hotel,i've mentioned it in other posts to you that there are plenty of rooms to rent(cheaper in Hanioti than Kalithea)nearly everywhere you look you'll see rooms for rent,average price at the mo will be anything between 25-35 euros a night! I have to say though that i do think it odd that you've handed your notice in here before knowing if you can get work out there.No doubt you'll find something but doing it the way you're doing it you can't afford to be too fussy aabout what you want to do.It is a great experience working abroad but i hope you're not like a lot of people & think it's like one long holiday,the hours can be very long(& tiring in the heat at high season)you may get a day off at first but when the place starts getting really busy you can end up working 7 days a week & the money's not great.Plus points are meeting loads of interesting people from all over the place & of course the sun & the fact that even if you don't finish work til the early hours of the morning you can still go clubbing!You don't need a visa to work there as it's EU but last time i worked there i had to take a letter from my doctor saying that i was in good health & i had to have a health booklet done over there(blood tests,x-rays etc)that your employer will keep,Not sure if that applies everywhere but i was working with food at the time!also don't forget that your insurance will have to be adequate to cover you til end of September-mid October(when the season ends)to make sure you can get home in the event of an accident or if you're really ill.I'd also sort your flights out to get back to the UK & back to Greece for your sisters reception before you go.Try the BA site as they're about the only ones that fly daily & you'll get better results if you're prepared to fly to & from Gatwick.I don't know your reasons for wanting to work out there so urgently but personally as i've said to you before ...with so much on your plate this year(can you really be bothered to fly back to the UK for 1 day?????)& having so much to sort out before you go i still think you'd be better booking another holiday for later in the year & sorting work & acomodation out over there for next year.You've posted a lot about this & i'm sorry if this sounds a bit bitchy but you don't really seem to be listening to what people are saying to you but i wish you luck with it anyway!!! x

smiling smiley
Michelle
May 02, 2006 06:27PM
Thank you,,,

I am taking on board everything that you have said!

About handing my notice in.... it’s not due to end till after my sisters wedding reception. I’m completely prepared that if it doesn’t work then to leave it as that and carry on with my current job.

I am quite aware that if I do find work - no matter what it is, it will be hard work but im okay with that. Lol - You are right though.... I am sounding a bit keen. The thing is im 21; I have no kids, mortgage or rent to pay. I live with my parents. I am in a committed relationship of nearly 3 and half years. My boyfriend isn’t really into the whole travelling/working thing but said he wouldn’t stop me from doing anything I wanted to do and will still be there for me when I return. Sounds silly I know as I am still young but I just want to get out there a bit before I start getting to committed to things. If it doesn’t work then at least I’d know and wouldn’t regret missed opportunities.

I know this whole message sounds a bit naive about things but I have gone thru different senarios and I really think I could make this work. You have to start somewhere and like I said.......if it doesn’t work out, then - yeah I would be gutted but at least I would have given it ago and would still have a job to come back too.
May 03, 2006 12:31AM
Hiya again.Makes more sense now you've explained about your notice,that makes it much easier if you have a job to return to.Yes you're right,if you have a bee in your bonnet about this then you must get it out of your system.Shame your boyfriend isn't into it you could have toured the islands picking up work as you go or something,that'd be fun.I really didn't mean to sound as harsh as i probably did earlier it's just that so many people go there on holiday & love it & then decide they want to stay & it doesn't always work out because it's not what they thought it was going to be but if you're prepared for hard work long hours etc then go for it,if it works then great,if it doesn't then at least you can say you tried it eh & at least you'll have some interesting things to tell your kids when you get that far,god i could write a book on my memories from working over there haha.x

smiling smiley
debbie
May 03, 2006 07:18AM
Hi Kerry , It would be a best seller too! XXX
Michelle
Message for Kerry
May 15, 2006 02:46PM
Hi ya hun,

I would just like to thank you for all you help and information you have passed on with your honest opinions!

I now have a fab new job..... working as a holiday rep, starting mid June! I'm not sure where I will be placed but whatever happens I am sure I will have a grate time!

I'm am still off to halkidiki on Monday (cant wait) for my sisters wedding. Ill be staying at the Sani Beach Club (sani resort) so if anyone has any suggestions of things I should look out for any thing you would like me to find out just give me a shout and ill be here to answer questions when I get bk!!!

Shell
xXx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login