Easy parking in Thessaloniki

Posted by Erik 
Erik
March 10, 2006 06:50PM
End of May we are staying in Kriopigi, Halkidiki.
As we shall have a rented car for some days, we also want to visit Thessaloniki.
What would be the best?
Driving with the car to the center of Thessaloniki?
Or taking the bus?
Is it easy to find a parking place in the center of Thessaloniki?
Jane
Re: Easy parking in Thessaloniki
March 10, 2006 07:19PM
Hi, I can only speak from experience. We lived over there for three years and it was only during the last two that our Greek friends introduced us to parking in Thessaloniki !

It is very expensive, but we find it preferable to the long journey by bus. There are several car parks, you come to them as you go along the main drag into Thessaloniki. I cannot remember the name of the street, but as you are staying in Kriopigi go to the Sweet Coffee Shop and speak to our friends Morfy and Sakis. They are the ones who showed us where to park, and also they have fantastic crepes savoury and sweet, coffees and icecreams, and loads of snacks which are good value. They are also a lovely couple.

But back to the parking. Where we park, and where Morfy and Sakis should be able to direct you, you are almost on Aristotles Square and near to the large old Greek markets, one which sells fish, shellfish etc, and one which sells meat, herbs, olive oil, spices etc. In the market there is a taverna called Smyrnos, really old style and lovely food. The owner is lovely too, he bought me some flowers last year on my birthday and we have only ever been to eat in his place once each year for the last four years.

I wouldnt say it is easy to find parking spaces in Thessaloniki because it is not, on the street. But there are at least three almost in the centre and easy to find, just look for the large P sign.

Have you driven in Greece before? If you have no problem, if not then Thessaloniki is quite a test on the nerves, as is driving from Halkidiki to there. Undertaking, overtaking, etc etc. If you are at all unsure of driving then take the bus. But if you are OK, or have driven in Greece before, I would recommend the car. It gives you much more freedom.

End May will not be so manic as July and August on the way to and from Thessaloniki.

If you took a trip however, through an agency in town NOT the hotel which is more expensive, you could be dropped off in the town and you can also combine it with sightseeing which will show you the old town and go to the museum, church etc.

I can dig out our Thessaloniki map and try to get the road names if you want me to, let me know if you want to persevere with the driving !

JAne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login