Sani Beach Hotel & WASPS

Sani Beach Hotel & WASPS

Posted by kath1975 
Sani Beach Hotel & WASPS
February 07, 2006 02:41PM
Hi there,

I really really want to book my holiday in JUNE 2006 - at the Sani Beach Hotel.

However I am petrified of Wasps, and I've read a few comments that there was a problem with wasps at this resort last year. I've even had an email response from the hotel itself acknowleging that there was a problem but they hope it was a one off.

What do you think ? Will it be OK in June ? I literally jump out of my skin if a wasp comes anywhere near me so the thought of them buzzing around me just makes my skin crawl.

Also, do you think the World Cup Football Tournament will be shown at the Sani Resort or is it not that type of place ?

Thanks
Kath
Jane
Re: Sani Beach Hotel & WASPS
February 07, 2006 06:34PM
Hi Kath, I think wasps were a problem in general last year. However, there are generally always quite a few wasps about and when we went to live there for three years I was just like you. I just had to take hold of myself and try to keep calm. I was always the one running down the beach screaming to the disgust of my husband ! However, I had to do something or my three years would have been a nightmare.

In general, especially in June July, they are not that aggressive. So if you can just steel yourself as much as possible and ignore them, not easy I do know ! The most important thing I think to remember is that they like the waters edge and bits of seaweed, so dont go barefoot for long walks along the seashore. I trod on about five before I started to remember my flipflops.

They are at their most aggressive in late august and all of September. Even then, over the three years we were there I only got stung once (excluding the ones I killed by treading on them !).

Some years are worse than others, so hopefully last years problem means there wont be so many this year.

Hope this helps a bit. There is nothing really that can be done other than not going to hot climates, but I love Greece and wont let wasps put me off.

I am also scared of the huge flying beetles, the hornets, horseflies and jelly fish. So if I managed to get over (well nearly over, still apprehensive) all those phobias I am sure you will be OK.

Just concentrate on having a good time. No one resort is worse than another for wasps or nasties. We rented a private house and we had a major problem with wasps for one of the years, mostly in September.

Another thing that I try to do if there are a lot of wasps about, is make sure I am not the only person on the beach ! Nice though it is to find that isolated spot, it means you are the only one about for them to bother.

Jane
emma
February 08, 2006 02:03PM
I was out there last august and to be honest never had a problem with them so if last year was that bad i shouldnt worry.
February 08, 2006 02:43PM
mmmmm Thanks for all the information .. still not sure though, I'm hoping the situation was probably blown out of proportion (as they often are). I'll have to have a long think about it, I don't want to spend all that money and then spoil my holiday.
emma
February 08, 2006 03:34PM
If you are that bad how do you get on here? In all fairness i thought the wasps were worse here than in halkidiki
February 09, 2006 12:49PM
I really don't like them, and summer in the UK is a problem too. I had a wasp fly into my kitchen once and I locked myself out of the room and rang a neighbour to rescue me ... he sent his 10 year old son. I felt stupid, but hey .. if you don't like them !!!

Kath x
February 10, 2006 11:57AM
i know exactly how you feel. This will be my 4th year in Hanioti and last year was terrible for wasps. I lived there for the summer the years before and never had a problem, so i am hoping that it was just a bad year for them and hope this year will be free from them!
Olive
February 10, 2006 02:27PM
As Nicola said, last year seemed to have been a bumper year for wasps. We stayed in Afytos in early September 2005 and on the day before we departed, I got stung by a wasp and had a severe allergic reaction. The hotel owner whisked me to the local health centre where I was treated immediately with efficiency and courtesy via a drip and prescribed medication. Nothing like that had ever happened to me in my life as I am rarely sick! When we go to Afytos this year, I will be well prepared!
Roy
February 11, 2006 06:32PM
As it is a cold winter with luck most of the Queens will be killed off and should be fewer wasps this year
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login