Alkion

Alkion

Posted by Val Bradford 
Val Bradford
Alkion
January 03, 2006 09:41AM
Has anyone stayed at the Alkion Kriopigi and what are the reports please. I am about to book the 31st July for 2 weeks. We are a family of 4 with a son aged 18 and a daughter of 10. Any advice appreciated.
Jane
Re: Alkion
January 04, 2006 07:40AM
The Alkion is lovely. It is owned by friends of our Greek friends, and they are really friendly and helpful. We used to go for coffee or a drink round the pool when we lived over there, and we actually stayed there for a week in 2003 Sept now we are unfortunate enough to be living back in the UK ! The rooms are excellent, clean and when we went air conditioned all the time which made a nice change from the large hotels where air con only started working 1 July and not according to the temperature, which when we went in Sept was over 80 deg.

The pool area is nice and clean, the garden area lovely and the views over the sea are marvellous. It is quite a trek down, and I mean down to the beach, so therefore quite a trek uphill back again. There is I believe a mini train that takes people down to the beach, but we always had a car so I cant speak personally about that.

The owners are every eager to please and they have various activities during the evenings, again we didnt go to these as we had to visit all our friends, so we only used it as a base. But we had a fab view over the sea from our quiet balcony.

So to sum up, friendly owners and staff, lovely gardens and pool, clean and cool rooms, would definitely go again, but we find it difficult as we don't go on packages as we usually go for odd days, like 17 or 19, and packages do not cater for this. The only way to go really is on a package as to rent hotel rooms in Greece locally works out very expensive.

Try it out, I think you will like it very much. And if you do go, please visit our friends cafe SWEET CAFE on the main road. They are very friendly and helpful and do excellent coffees, ice creams, crepes, sandwiches etc. Morfy and Sakis are their names. I think we will have probably come and gone by the time you go on 31 July.

Just another note, end July beginning of August is VERY busy with tourists, both European and Greeks so be prepared for lots of people about, especially weekends when it is hard to find a parking space.

Hope this helps.

Jane
Val Bradford
January 10, 2006 10:16AM
Thank you Jane for all the information. I have now booked for 2 weeks commencing 31st July.

I have not booked a package as I am flying using Airmiles, so I have only payed for the hotel. I intend to hire a car from Thessalonika, if you (or anyone else) can reccomend a good car hire company let me know.

We'll visit the Sweet Cafe

Thank again, best regards

Val

Jane
January 10, 2006 06:48PM
Hi Val, where did you book the two weeks at the Alkion. I would be interested to know the rate please.

Thanks
Jane
Jane
January 10, 2006 06:48PM
Hi Val, where did you book the two weeks at the Alkion. I would be interested to know the rate please.

Thanks
Jane
Jane
January 10, 2006 06:56PM
Car hire, we used economy car rentals last time, as advertised on this site, and they were fine. We picked it up at Thessaloniki airport, and they were due to pick it up from our hotel in Thessaloniki where we stayed for two days at the end, but we decided to take it back ourselves, and it was easy to find.

Also, you can hire a car at Kriopigi cars. Apparently they also deliver to the airport, and you can find a link on this site somewhere. They are very good, our friends and family have used them quite a few times, we just did not realise they delivered to the airport. Not sure what size cars they do, our family only had a small one.

Hope that helps. Let me know re Alkion accommodation only booking you made

Jane
Val Bradford
January 19, 2006 02:04PM
Sorry not to have replied sooner Jane. I booked 2 studios with Beds4All.com at a rate of £562 per room. It's expensive last week in July first week August, but it worked out quite cheap for us as I've used airmiles for the flight.

Incidentely I've just booked a hotel (for 2 people but a room for 5) in Turkey for May, half board for £68 each, for a week - bargainous.
K Winchester
January 22, 2006 09:47PM
Hi There

The hotel is good and staff superb however it is a leg breaking walk to the beach and town and recommend you hire a car

Good luck

Kevin
Jane
January 23, 2006 12:03PM
Thought I had already sent this today, but here goes. Val, did you get my previous message. Keen to sort something out, so would appreciate knowing what you wish to charge etc. Many thanks. Jane
Val Bradford
February 02, 2006 03:09PM
Thanks Kevin. Jane I thought I'd replied on the 19th Jan re the cost of the Alkion, let me know if you need anything further
Jane
February 02, 2006 04:36PM
Yes Val, I got mixed up, sorry. I have been unable to get on that website until today. But it does seem to go up and down as to getting logged into the website. I found the Alkion, but now I need to confirm my actual dates as we are going to Halkidiki but also visiting an island for a few days. Need to wait for the ferry info though, which apparently is not available until March !

Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login