medical care

medical care

Posted by Patricia Allen 
Patricia Allen
medical care
February 15, 2006 12:49PM
We are planning a holiday to Halkidiki in June, as we are travelling with friends that have medical conditions,and would like some reasurance of medical care and hospitals should this be necessary.Has anyone any views
Jane
Re: medical care
February 15, 2006 01:37PM
Not sure what medical conditions you mean, but the health care in Halkidiki has improved considerably over the last ten years.

I was taken ill while living there (1999) and we were advised to go to Polygiros hospital. Whilst I have to congratulate them on finding my problem, whereas the NHS over here had kept fobbing me off for three years (I had gallstones), the hospital itself was filthy and I was in a ward with very old incontinent people. However, I was lucky as our landlord found out from my husband what had happened, came to see me and got me moved into a Thessaloniki hospital next day. The difference was tremendous, spotlessly clean and within an hour of going there I had an Xray, Ultrasound and tests to confirm the diagnosis made at Polygiros.They stabilised me over a week, then we went back to our house in Halkidiki. As I was a bit scared and still in pain we decided to go home two weeks earlier than planned, as it was a five day drive. When we got back to the UK, the NHS refused to place me in a priority list, so I paid to go private. Good job, it was full of stones and pus, and had not been working for two years at least. Could have burst and gone septic any time.

So, after giving you my medical history in Greece ! I would say you will be fine. The best hospitals are in Thessaloniki, but there are medical centres all over Halkidiki (I am talking Kassandra peninsula here, not sure where you are staying). We have had cause to go to a Medical Centre since when I developed a back problem, and they were excellent. Doctor came out within an hour, came very day to check on me, and the staff at the Centre were so helpful and friendly.

I would certainly never be scared again of being ill over there. The only thing I would say is that ifyou end up in Hospital, they will take care of you medically but they expect relatives to do the caring side, i.e. washing you, taking you to the bathroom, etc. It is not uncommon at all in Greece to find relatives sleeping on bedside chairs in shifts to care for their family member.

I would recommend that your friends visit the nearest health centre on arrival to make sure they know where it is, and to have a chat about their health problems and likely needs.

Hope this helps.

Jane
Rosemary
February 15, 2006 01:53PM
My husband needed medical treatment when we were in Hanioti. He received good prompt treatment, and the insurances were accepted everywhere.
jeff fourkas mad dog man
February 16, 2006 06:17PM
make sure your E111 cards are up to date

read the small print in your insurance cover from beginning to end

my wife(deceased) was taken gravely ill in Fourka 4 yrs ago and was taken by doctors own car to thessalonika to the Yeniki Clinic where as been written before was diagnosed properly and treated as needed .. yes i had to wash toilet and feed her while she was in hospital but the docs were spot on UK was a different matter they never followed up what the greek docs did ........ why........ because no one could read greek at our local hospital
so she was told " madam you have Munchausen syndrome there is nothing wrong with you at all ...... then why is she now laying at peace in the hills in Fourka?????

anyway enuff of that

just make sure at ur local holiday resort doctors or medical room they know about your problems

hope all goes ok on your hols

have a great time chilling

Jeff
February 17, 2006 04:07PM
while living in hanioti, i was ill with a very bad kidney infection. Problem was i didn't have any insurance at all, so was scared. But luckily one of the doctors there, didn't mind seeing me and was prepaered to take me to hospital if need be. i only paid for the antibiotics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login