Travellers Cheques - Sterling or Euro

Posted by Di 
Di
May 21, 2011 06:28PM
Hello,
I'm off to Hanioti for the first time in 4 weeks (can't wait!) just wondering if anyone would reccommend either stering or euro travellers cheques over the other?

I'm presuming the euro exchange rate will be pretty similar whether I get euros here or over there but wondered if anyone had more knowledge than me!

Thanks in advance
Re: Travellers Cheques - Sterling or Euro
May 21, 2011 08:54PM
Ur love it, i stay in pefkohori, next one down, always found that getting travellers cheque u get stung with both and the euro rate usually better here, everyone i know gets cash and changes money b4 they go, but its down to personal opinion

Hope u have a brilliant time
stephen maurren
May 22, 2011 04:04AM
we go to halkdiki ever year and we allways take euros because you get a better rate in england have fun in this lovley place were all the people are great go to kostas just off the suare for a giros and and the cheapest bottle of amstel you will ever get
steve and maureen
May 22, 2011 04:08AM
di we are going to polichrono in 3 weeks tim but will be in hanioti alot might see you in kostas for a bottle of amsteljust ask gannis if steve and maureen from sunderland have been in he knows us well
Di
May 22, 2011 08:40AM
Thanks everyone...euros it is! Really looking forward to it, usually go to one of the Islands but it's somewhere I've fancied for a while and the more I've read these forums the more I think I've made a good choice!

Steve & Maureen, i'll listen out for the accent, we're just from Co. Durham!
May 22, 2011 09:12AM
To be honest, I have always found that you get a better rate in resort, but only if you go to the bank or cashpoint.

We tend to take cash out at the local ATMs using our bank cards, you do get a small bank fee but you still get more than if you change in the UK or at an exchange office in resort. Be careful, don't make the mistake of using credit cards to get cash - they charge HUGE fees!

If you do change your money up in the UK, the best place is the post office, they offer the best rates. My friend recently changed money at Gatwick, the rate on xe.com was 1.12 but she got 1.02 which is just criminal...!!
May 22, 2011 03:39PM
i always take sterling..just emailed my hotel were we stop every year..and they are going to give me 1.14...you are lucky to get 1.10 in the uk at the moment,and i,ve always found it to be the same every year so.......itz take sterling for me mate...ave a gr8 hol..x
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login