Pefkohori or Afitos?

Pefkohori or Afitos?

Posted by Andrea W 
Andrea W
Pefkohori or Afitos?
May 02, 2011 12:53AM
Hi i'm after some advice please.
We've been suggested Halkidiki by travel agent. We think we've narrowed it down to Alia Palace in Pefkohori or Achtis Hotel in Afitos. We're a couple in our 30s, no kids, not too bothered about beach or daytime activity, just a nice pool, decent restaurants and a few bars, but not over lively or Benidorm like! . Wonder which resort sounds like it would suit us more. We're looking to go mid August and I've read about a cultural festival in Afitos from 15 Aug, does this make the place really too busy, or is it a good time to chose to visit?
Thanks again
Re: Pefkohori or Afitos?
May 02, 2011 07:53AM
The 2 villages are very different, Afitos is much more 'traditional' with little cobbled streets and lovely views down to the beach. It is a pretty steep walk down to the beach and there are several nice tavernas on the way down. It would be quieter than Pefkohori in August.

Pefkohori is on the level so no drop down to the beach, it is made up of 2 parallel roads and the old square. The main road runs through the middle of the village with the beach promende running parallel to it. Both are lined with shops, bars & tavernas and the evenings are centred around the promenade with lots of people watchng opportunities.

Pefkohori is my favourite village but would be VERY busy in August as that is peak season. If I were you I would go earlier or later in the season, if you don't have kids then you are not restricted to school holidays, so if you went late August or early July it would be much cheaper and much calmer! Just a suggestion, clearly your holiday timing is completely up to you!

If you like a bit more buzz & nightlife I would say Pefkohori, if you prefer to relax and chill out then Afitos would probably be better... either way, enjoy!
May 03, 2011 08:32PM
Thanks so much for you reply. Unfortunately my husband's a teacher so we're stuck with school hols! Your post has been really helpful, i liked the sound of Pefkohori (sea front bars sound lovely) but husband liked Afitos. But we both want to chill out, so Afitos it is! The hill can be our daily exercise to burn off the wine!!
Thanks again
May 03, 2011 08:37PM
Forgot to ask, do you know much difference the cultural festival makes to the "busy-ness" of the Afitos? I know its 15 Aug for a week, and wonder if the place will b packed.
May 15, 2011 10:19AM
Hi

The first two weeks in August are no doubt the busiest time, but the 'festival' is not an event as such, but just a series of cultural things going on - singing/dancing performances in the square etc. As a place it is definitely not like Benidorm, it has managed to retain a bit of old world charm and has plenty of good restaurants and chilled out bars. Not a disco in sight. My wife and I first went there in our early 30's, when we had no kids etc. and based on what you say you are looking for, I expect you've made the right choice in Athitos.

Enjoy!
May 16, 2011 07:03AM
Hi Matthew

Have you made any visits to Afitos this year? I am due out for a week in june.

Phil
May 17, 2011 06:54AM
Hi Phil

Not been yet, but will be out for 7 weeks from June 8. Looking forward to it! Hopefully see you there.
May 25, 2011 09:27PM
7 weeks! good on you.

i will be over on the 13th so we will catch up over beer

phil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login