attending a wedding on Kassandra -- could use some local intelligence!

Posted by zipper 
April 22, 2011 04:49AM
Hi,

I'm attending a wedding in late May in Paliouri. I'll be flying into Thessaloniki, and wonder if I could stay there and take a taxi to and from the wedding, and if so, how much it would it cost.

Or should I book a hotel somewhere closer to Paliouri? (Wedding is late afternoon.) I've done some research on hotels on Kassandra, and they all seem to be family-resort package-places, which isn't what I need. I was thinking about going to Loutra, since it looked so pretty and with so few foreign tourists, but is it feasible to get a taxi in Paliouri to take me back to Loutra at night, after the wedding reception?

I really don't want to rent a car and drive myself. Any advice?

Any hotel recommendations -- for both Thessaloniki and Paliouri or a town nearby? I don't mind spending for quality, and I would dearly like a tasty restaurant within walking distance. I love traditional Greek food, especially sea food.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. (And if you know what would be a typical wedding gift for a Greek couple, I'm all ears!)
John K
Re: attending a wedding on Kassandra -- could use some local intelligence!
April 22, 2011 08:40PM
Hi
A Taxi from Thessaloniki to Paliouri will be about 100 euro as its 75 to Policrono each way. Paliouri is not very touristy have driven through but never stoped for a good look around. You will be better of stopping at Pefkochori or Haniotis if you are doing it by taxi will cost a lot. There are lots of hotels and good resterants in the other resorts to. Paliouri to Pefkochori about 10 mins in a car. Hiring a car is the would be much cheaper and easyer
Hope its of use.

John K
April 23, 2011 04:47PM
Thank you for that information. My problem with renting a car is that I don't want to go to a wedding party and drink alcohol and drive. I will look at hotels in Pefkochori and hope I can find a good one that isn't a package resort. Do you know the name of some good restaurants for good greek food in Pefkochori?
April 25, 2011 05:32AM
Loutra is a very nice place with fantastic views. But in May it may be very quite there. Pefkohori is a typical lively noisy tourist village with a lot of restaurants, bars and active nightlife.
April 25, 2011 03:07PM
If I were you I would rent a car to do the trip to / from the airport and stay in Pefkohori for the wedding and get a taxi from your hotel to the wedding. Aeollos is a nice (fairly basic) aparthotel at the Paliouri end of Pefkohori, they have their own website so you can contact them directly or book through First Choice.

[www.aeollos.gr]

If you get a taxi from Thessaloniki it will take at least 1 hour each way and cost about 100 Euros each way. Petrol is astronomical out there (about 165 per litre) so taxi prices are going up & up.

For good Greek food in Pefkohori you can try Bakalis (on the corner when you walk down to the beach from Aeollos), Tsapari (the next one along) or Psarakas (about 20 metres further along the promenade).

Pefkohori is a tourist resort and does get very busy in July / August but will still be quite quiet in May. As mentioned before, Loutra is lovely, but I don't know it very well so couldn't recommend any hotels or restaurants, and you would struggle to find taxis in May.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login