Anyone form the U K going to Halkidiki 2011 ?

Posted by alanapp 
March 16, 2011 06:22PM
Anyone form the U K going to Halkidiki 2011 ? Its been very quiet so far this year. Also new flights to Saloniki from Ryan Air flying out of Stansted I beleive
Re: Anyone form the U K going to Halkidiki 2011 ?
March 17, 2011 09:14AM
Yes, yes, yes!

We have already been for the new year and were there a couple of weeks ago for the weekend.

Back for the Easter weekend then 10 days in late June and 10 days in early Sept...

Bring on the summer!
March 17, 2011 02:40PM
Hi Alan going out end of April / beginng of May. Have also booked to go out 12th June but we havent booked a return flight yet might have a look at Ryan AIr also Olympic Airways is quite reasonable.
March 17, 2011 10:51PM
Hi Alan

Happily we have booked to go back to Hanioti Village Hotel in August (14th time!).....but agree that the forum seems quiet but still early days, I suppose.

Shirls and Baz
March 18, 2011 09:16AM
Magoose - are you talking about Olympic Airlines or Olympic Holidays? If you are talking about the airline I'm afraid they don't fly from London to Thessaloniki anymore, they withdrew the route about 2 weeks ago!

The only non-charter flights from London are BA, Easyjet & Ryanair.... (or Aegean via Athens)
March 18, 2011 07:31PM
Well we will not be alone then. Hi Sharon hope you enjoy it as much as we all do, which resort are you staying in ? Be carefull Halkidiki can be very addictive if you fall in love with it, this is our fix throuh the winter.
Hi Maggie hope you are both well see you soon 11-00 for breakfast usual place (dry white wine and a Mythos).
March 19, 2011 04:26PM
My husband and I will be visiting for the first time in July staying in Polychrono and we are really looking forward to our holiday. We would appreciate any information regarding facilities in the village (ATM, supermarket etc) and what types of boat trips are availible.
Any information on food and drink prices and your favourite bars/restaurants would be great. Look forward to reading your advice and thanks in advance
sharonD
March 20, 2011 09:12PM
Hiya. We will be staying in Paliouri, really looking forward to it. We have been to the same greek island for last 3 years cos we love it but thought we would try Halkidiki for a change!
March 21, 2011 09:46AM
Sharon - which island have you been going to? You will probably find Halkidiki quite different to the islands as it is not all barren spaces and white washed buildings with blue shutters.

It is very beautiful though, very green with loads of beaches and pretty villages.

Have a look at some of the photos you can find online to set your expectations at the right level, none of us regulars would want you to be disappointed in comparison to where you are used to going because a) we want you to have a good holiday and b) we want you to love Halkidiki as much as we do...!

Where in Paliouri are you staying?
March 21, 2011 09:45PM
Hiya. We've been going to Thassos and do like the white washed walls and pretty blue shutters smiling smiley but looking forward to trying somewhere new. We are staying at Chrousso Village,we have 2 children who are more than happy with a pool and lovely beach. I am review obsessed and have looked at loads of photos! We have friends staying at Sani Beach, could someone please advise how far away that is. We do normally hire a car for the 'middle' weekend.
Thanks
March 22, 2011 09:28AM
I don't know the hotel at Chrousso but the beach there is lovely, and great for children. It is a very gentle slope into the water so you walk out about 20 metres before you get out of your depth. There are also water sports available and a trendy beach bar.

Sani is quite a long way away, probably about 30-40 mins drive, maybe you could meet in the middle at say Afitos.

There is a shuttle bus that takes you I think to Pefkohori and Hanioti so you can get out and about as Chrousso is in the middle of nowhere, but hiring a car is a great idea. The roads are pretty good and it is mainly one road that goes all the way round the bottom half of the peninsula where you can just stop off at villages & beaches that take your fancy. I would advise against getting the car at the weekend as this is when the roads are the busiest, lots of locals come down from Thessaloniki on the weekends so driving between Fri & Mon is a lot more tricky, especially if you want to go up to Sani.

I have been to Thassos as well and loved it, I think it is a bit more like Halkidiki than the more 'traditional' islands like Santorini etc, maybe because it is also quite far north.

I hope you have a great holiday and fall under Halkdiki's spell....
Mark & Kirsty
March 22, 2011 09:36AM
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are thinking of Halkidiki for a week (to ten days) holiday in June this year.

We have never been before, and would really appreciate any advice on which resort we might like the best.

The kind of holidays we like are beach holidays; long lazy days on the beach, nice meals out and a little bit of nightlife.

Thanks,
Mark

p.s. our ages - 29 and 26.
March 22, 2011 10:18AM
Hi Mark & Kirsty

I feel slightly like I am taking over this forum!

I would suggest Hanioti or Pefkohori - they are next door to each other (about 5km apart) so if you stay in one you can easily visit the other.

Hanioti is set round the village square with lots of shops, bars & tavernas. It gets pretty busy in peak season and would have a nice buzz in June. There are some lively bars in the square (Sunshine, Kelfos, Long Island) and some more laid back places where you can sit and watch the world go by. The beach is nice, mixture of sand & shingle with sunbeds & water sports.

Pefkohori has a lovely beach promenade with most of the shops, bars & tavernas lined along it - great for people watching. The beach is long and thin but widens out if you walk away from the centre. There are lots of lovely beach bars to relax in day or night and some lively bars as well (Kahlua, Cuccureddu & others I can't remember the name of!).

My personal favourite is Pefkohori (I have a holiday home there) but they are both lovely. Accommodation wise I would recommend Aeolos Apartments in Pefkohori or Hanioti Village Hotel in Hanioti - both have their own websites if you Google them...

Hope that helps!
March 22, 2011 12:10PM
Hanioti and Pefkohori are the two main resort centres, Hanioti was "purpose built" around the fountain in the square as a resort, after a major earthquake in the `30`s I believe, Pefkohori is not as "commercial", but more of a traditional village. There are other villages along the coast of the Kassandra Peninsula:- Polichrono, Kriopigi, Kalithea, Afitos (or Athitos) Nea Foukea and Nea Potidia, though these are not as busy as the first two, though you may prefer them..after you have visited you are sure to return to explore them all..everyone does !!!
March 22, 2011 02:53PM
Many thanks for your tips and advice. Someone earlier in this topic had said it was quiet so I'm just keeping everyone on their toes! winking smiley
ian
April 15, 2011 03:53PM
sorry wont be comming this year again cant get a hotel in pekohori cos thomas cooks keep pulling out of pefkohori went 9 years on trot but cant get there now hope you all have a nice holiday
Allen
April 15, 2011 05:14PM
Yep. Coming on the 1st of September to Pefohori. Looking forward to sun, frappe, ice cold mythos, Makis taverna and Paul's place in the old square, Fox moussa and the Torreneos taverna on the sea front. Did I mention the beach. Didn't get down last year, so this year I think I'll have a double helping.
Allen
April 16, 2011 11:56AM
Ian - I think Thomas Cook still do Aeollos in Pefkohori, or you could book direct and fly BA or Easyjet (assuming you are South in the UK) or just book a flight only with Thomas Cook or Thomsons, quite a few of the hotels have their own websites and you can book directly online.

Allen - I'm afraid Fox Naoussa has closed down....
April 18, 2011 08:24AM
Hello Halkidiki lovers
Yes we will be coming back again for the 7th time! Cant wait for May and Summer for the long stay smiling smiley. We stay in Kriopigi but always visit the other villages while we there because they are all FAB!!
April 18, 2011 12:28PM
Hey,

Aeollos Hotel has First Choice this year.

Also Ryan Air are flying direct from Stansted,I have heard they have some cheap flights!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login