Pefkohori & Surrounds - Hire car or not?

Posted by charliew 
June 24, 2009 09:47AM
Ciao
I'm off to the Anna Maria apartments in Pefkohori from the 2nd - 9th of July with the missus.

Basically wanted to know how much there is to see and do in walking/taxi distance from Pefkohori compared to how much there is worth seeing if we were to get a car for a couple of days. Furthermore, what are these things that we should be going to see?

Any feedback much appreciated
Cheers
Charlie
Re: Pefkohori & Surrounds - Hire car or not?
June 24, 2009 09:52AM
One further thing, if, hypothetically speaking the Lions win on sat and Andy Murray gets to the latter stages of wimbo I might need to access some British tv, can this be done in pefkohori?
Paul_K
June 24, 2009 11:06AM
Good point Charlie, I will be in Polychrono soon. Will there be places showing the tennis and sport in general?
June 24, 2009 12:46PM
Hi there

there will be lots of places showing sport, and if you want the tennis I am sure anyone will oblige as long as your buying drinks or food.

If you hire a car. There is not much to see historically, but a couple of older villages Afitos and Paliouri are quite nice. The whole peninsular is just one road all the way round and takes about one hour to complete, with one road that cuts across from Nea Skioni to Hanioti. Drive carefully, dont know if you have ever driven in Greece before but they dont follow the same highway rules as us of course.
June 24, 2009 01:05PM
Definitely get a car. There are lots of nice places to see. There is like Joanne said Afitos and Paliori, but there is also the old village of Agia Paraskevi (which has a taverna and coffee bar, and not touristy at all). Also nice is Nea Skioni which is where we live near when over there, a nice fishing village with mainly Greek tourists but some nice local Kafenion to eat and drink at cheaply. Mola Kaliva where we live is a nice small village with lovely clear sea although a pebbly beach. But not crowded at all. Drive up into the mountain area from Fourka. Also Possidi is a nice area to go to the beach and eat and drink in nice surroundings and not that touristy until late July/August when all the Greeks arrive. Also Loutra, which also has a spa.

There are so many nice places to look at on the other side to the tourist based side. Also a trip to Sithonia would be nice, allow a whole day.

If you want any info on places to eat locally pm me.

Jane
June 25, 2009 11:13AM
hey,

i know the anna maria apartments very well,they are our friends who own it.they are very clean and the pool is beautiful.thomas and his wife,maria,are both really friendly people.it is one of the best in the village for entertainment,they have a live music band on every tuesday which normally goes on till the early hours of the morning(hope ur into that sort of thing)also they have a bbq night with greek music.i am sure u will have a brilliant time and normally every tuesday i am up there so will probally c u there.also if u get bored easily then maybe hire a car there r some lovely beaches around but as i say theres always something going on in the hotel.my friend who is english has a hire car company on the main road called star rent a car,im sure if u go in and see her she will give u a good deal!!!any other questions feel free to ask.xx
July 10, 2009 10:07PM
Got back yesterday, great week. The guys who run the apartments thomas, christoff etc top notch.

Rented a car and went out to sithonia, elia beach, somewhere south of porto carras, vourvourvou and parthenonas all v nice worth seeing.drove round to the west side of kassandra that evening to watch the sunset at siviri ( or sikiri cant rememeber name). Sithonia in general much more scenic than kassandra with far fewer villages. the succession of towns in kassandra, nea fokea, kalithea, hanioti, pefkohori etc v. monotonous and similar.

fairly unimpressed with pefkohori, ugly town with overcrowded beach and a host of average or poor restaurants (with exceptions). Had good meals at Bakalis and Odysses (something like that!?), went into a place called Nautica in town and was so piss poor we left after our starters. Tornedos restaurant also pretty average.

Rented bikes one day and cycled 30 mins south and found a nice quiet long crescent shaped beach which was massive upgrade from pefkohori.

day out on the pirate ship was v good, tarnished by a drunk thomas cook rep who was being loud and loutish. snorkelling around turtle island was incredibly good.

anyways, cheers for tips & info beforehand.

charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 10:08PM by charliew.
July 11, 2009 12:57PM
hi

shame u didnt think it was a lovely place,i have been many times and think u just need to no the right spots.

did u go up to the old square???theres a nice english bar (pauls place) and some greek tavernas!!!
also captains on the main road which do great greek and english food??

i am back out there in 1month and cant wait to see the guys again.xx
July 27, 2009 07:45AM
Thanks for the feedback. That is very useful.

taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.
August 01, 2009 03:47AM
i have been many times and think u just need to no the right spots.
sonnerie portable mp3 - Sonnerie portable MP3 est en effet unpouvoir de l'innovation technologique. Êtes-vous familier avec cette sonnerie portable?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login