Things to do in and around Hanioti/Pefkohori/Polychrono

Posted by Jason 
Jason
May 29, 2009 07:40PM
Hello all,

I'm going to be staying in Hanioti for a week with my girlfriend from June 8th.

I was wondering if anyone has any good information or recommendations on what to do in the surrounding area or if there anything we really shouldn't miss while we're out there? We're both 20 yrs old, but all sorts of information would be welcome smiling smiley

Thanks, Jason
Re: Things to do in and around Hanioti/Pefkohori/Polychrono
May 29, 2009 09:21PM
hi jason,i have just come back from hanioti,where are you staying? good resteraunts are spiros,stones gustos pizza plus many more for all types of pockets,also the hot goblin for a good english brekki. drinks are much of a much. do try the horse shoe and say hello to nick and taffy also try gyros [kebab] go down road past love street at the bottom is resteraunt/take away[last one] good food and drink value for money.i hope this is of use to you have a great time we did. regards karen.
Jason
May 30, 2009 01:21PM
Hi Karen

Thanks for the info! Will write it all down to take with us smiling smiley

We're staying at the Bella Grecia Hotel Villa. Did you go on any day trips or anything?

Jason
May 30, 2009 02:48PM
weres all the markets and what days are they on can anyone tell me please as we are over there on monday
May 30, 2009 05:37PM
Kassandrea market is definitely on a Tuesday morning. Nea Moudanea is on Wednesday (check that though, didnt go last year)
May 31, 2009 07:15AM
hi jason,no we did'nt go on any trips my 10yr old daughter is not keen on trips!!! we stayed at the vicky appts and some people did go on trips but there was a mixed responce when they came back.so glad we did'nt bother.regards karen.
podman
May 31, 2009 05:32PM
Hey there!

We will be arriving into Pefkohori on Thursday 4th June 2009. What are the highlights of the area and can anyone suggest any good restaurants or bars to visit.

We have been to many Greek islands and are very much looking forward to visiting the region.

Post any suggestions and we will be very grateful indeed!

Many Thanks

Jim & Cath Lindop
Manchester, United Kingdom
josh and jane
May 31, 2009 08:43PM
We visted Pefkohori a few years ago but definately would'nt go back! It rained for a whole week and we couldnt get anything to eat other than CHIPS!!!
We did find a great bar called 'JIMMYS' all dinks 1 euro!! Good luck finding that one!!
One other poor point was a a keen fisherman, my husband was unable to do any fishing due to a local ban- it was a complete waste of time packing his rod and tackle!
We wish you a wonderful trip however and hope the sun will be shining for you!!

JOSH AND JANE
May 31, 2009 09:54PM
Pefkohori is a lovely place - we go to Hanioti every year (as well as other places) and nearly always take a walk along the beach road to one of our favourite restaurants in Pefkohori - it's near the jetty along the front and does a lot of fish - you can choose which one you want from the display in the fridge. They do loads of other stuff as well and as seems to be quite normal in Halkidiki, they often give you something - last year it was another carafe of wine! We love to sit there eating, drinking and watching the sea. It's the only place where I've seen a dog on a lilo. We also go occasionally to Pauls Place in the old village too.

Make sure you go into Hanioti as well - it's a five minute taxi ride or if you feel adventurous (and have time to spare) catch the local bus.

Hope you have a fab time - we have another three months to wait!!
Carolinus
June 01, 2009 10:25AM
Jason, you should try Sunshine & Kelfos bars on the main square, both are fun & lively bars. Kelfos is actually on the square and Sunshine is down the side road to the left of Kelfos - you can't miss them!

There are some lovely places to eat in Hanioti, one of my faves is Kassandras roof garden, if you are standing in the square facing Kelfos, take the side road to the right (I think it is Gusto Pizza on the corner) walk about 50 metres then turn right at Lesse restaurant, Kassandras is just down there on the right (you go up the stairs to the roof garden). It is a bit more expensive than the traditional Greek places but is more upmarket and the food is great.

Jim & Kath - I love Pefkohori - so much so that I have just bought a holiday home out there (although I am a bit biased as I used to rep out there)! I am surprised at Josh & Jane's comment about the chips - most tavernas do serve chips, but a whole host of other stuff as well. The beach promenade is stacked with bars & tavernas so there is loads of choice. I like Tsapari and Psaraki which are fish tavernas but serve everything else as well (Greek specialities, pasta, chicken, steaks etc). They are both quite far down the promenade away from the pier - where are you staying?

It really is all a matter of taste about holiday destinations, I have been to a lot of the Greek islands and found Halkidiki to be very different. It is not all whitewashed buildings & blue shutters, it is quite green (hence the comment about rain) and is very pretty, but not what people imagine when they think of Greece. It is full of Greek people, which I love, I don't want to go on holiday and be surrounded by Brits or other tourists!
June 01, 2009 11:19AM
What a shame Josh and Jane. You must be the only people taking any notice of a ban on fishing. Greek people have rules and laws but no one ever abides by them. You probably could have taken a walk down the beach where ther were no tourists to hook and that would have been no prolem. As for the chips, I think they are just to fill the plate. If ever you go to greece again in any restuarant ask for a mezi meat/fish. They will bring lots of small dishes of appetisers for you to try a proper greek meal
June 01, 2009 12:02PM
I have been to many Greek islands too, but Halkidiki remains a favourite after many many years, it can be typically Greek in certain parts, you can find some lively places if you want without the lager louts, and some of the best beaches in Greece as a whole. I love to visit small islands sometimes, but to live long term like we have done Halkidiki is great as it has all these things and is also near Thessaloniki for hospitals etc. and is sufficiently large not to get bored.

There are lots of places that are typically Greek round Sithonia, and even round the other side of Kassandra at Loutra, Agia Paraskevi etc. Yes, Hanioti, Pefkochori etc are very tourist driven, but even in these places there are some genuine good Greek places to eat and drink, you just have to find them.

Chips, well we mainly eat at tavernas where the customers are 95% Greek, and they all eat chips ! So I don't think it is too much a tourist thing, the Greeks love them too.

Josh and Jane, I am not sure what people think about when they think of Greece that Halkidiki has not got at some part or another. Where we lived at Mola Kaliva we had the cleanest clearest sea ever with fantastic views over to Skopelos/Skiathos, we were near a small fishing village of Nea Skioni where everybody fishes and we had some really small Greek tavernas within a short distance by car, and two in our village. When I think of Greece I think of olive trees, pine trees, blue seas, blue skies (OK it has to rain sometime!) sandy beaches (more sandy beaches around Halki than many of these islands), friendly Greek people and OK, some blue and white shuttered buildings, but there are some around the place I assure you, just not too many near Pefkochori.
AlexL
June 09, 2009 01:36AM
Hi,
I am going to be visiting Ammos Studios in Polichrono in August with some friends...
Just wondering what the food and drink is like there, and if there is any night life (any kid of pub, club, taverna that can be recommended?) and what the supermarkets are like as we're self catering...

Ive heard that the beach is a little dirty, I hope I heard wrong!

Thanks! (:
janet wallace
June 09, 2009 08:21AM
Hi Alex we are also staying at the ammos in august, what dates will you be there? we are there from 6th to the 20th.
I have never been before but this site is brilliant, you can find everything you need to know from it. Apparently there are 2 supermarkets and bars/tavernas scattered everywhere, however I am led to believe if you want alot of nightlife you need to travel to the next village which is abt 8 euros. The owners of the ammos are said to be lovely and vey accomodating. I cant wait to go.

Janet x x
AlexL
June 12, 2009 10:06PM
Hi Janet,

We're there 3rd-10th coming from Gatwick
Ive heard lots of really good things about it; I think we might head into hanioti (the next resort) once or twice, most of the days will be spent on the beach though! I'm glad its quiet, becuase at least then if you want some hustle and bustle youve only got to get into a taxi...

Maybe see you there?

Alex (:
x
janet wallace
June 13, 2009 08:42AM
Hi Alex

Yeah will def see you there, you wont miss us we will be the ones looking like that kit-kat advert of the tele lol with all the luggage. There are 6 of us arriving on the 6th and another 6 arriving on the 13th. |As you will have already been there a couple of days and sussed things out you can let us know the best places to go lol. Im so looking forward to going.

Take care
Janet x x
Gem
June 14, 2009 12:08PM
Hi there,

Does anyone know of things to see and do in Polichrono? Staying there from 22nd June for a week.

Cheers
June 14, 2009 07:38PM
we stayed at the fanis apartments from the 1st june to rhe 8th june 09 yes we just got back and tell you the truth were glad to be back as we found it was boring but the beaches was clean and the weather was hot thats about the best of greece next year were going back to majorca were there is much more life........oh if your self catering remember to take a lot of money out with you as some things are really expencive like corned beef 3.60 euros i could'nt get my breath lol
June 16, 2009 06:44PM
hi there, if you send me an email info@halkidikiexperience.gr i have jut printed a tour guide for the whole of halkidiki which you might find useful, its printed in 25.000 copies but i can send you a pdf version before you come if you like?

thanks
June 16, 2009 07:38PM
"the beaches was clean and the weather was hot thats about the best of greece next year were going back to majorca were there is much more life"

Tom and Jane, thats why lots of people like Greece, because it is quiet with clean beaches and good weather and incidentally some really good food !

I can't think I even think about buying corned beef in Greece - I don't buy it much in the UK! Did you try buying salads, fruit, feta, dips, fresh sardines, local bread, olives, eggs ........?

But, I know we are all different and to be honest if we can keep Greece quiet then the people who like it busy can go to Majorca and the people who don't have their retreat too in Greece.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login