Halkidiki advice required!

Posted by ClaireStu 
May 12, 2009 06:28PM
Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are off to Halkidiki in 3 weeks and we can't wait! We are staying at the Royal Kostas in Polichrono (or Polychrono-depending on how you are spelling it!). We are looking for anyone who can advise us on restaurants to avoid and the ones to head for! We are thinking about hiring a car, although my boyfriend has not driven in Greece before so is a little nervous! Does anyone have any recommendations about companies to hire from and places worth visiting, either by car or organised trips?

Any comments or tips in general about Polichrono and or the Royal Kostas would be gratefully received! Thanks!
Re: Halkidiki advice required!
May 12, 2009 06:59PM
Try Kriopigi Cars very reliable have used them myself,they also have a lot of advice on driving in Greece. They will meet you at the Airport if you wish, much faster than transfers. Do not worry about the drive to resort it one road all the way trust me. All the restaurants are very good in that area just a matter of choice. To avoid in Hanioti the chinese not worth a visit, the one Indian so so, the othere off the square is fine. But as your in Greece try local, if you want a curry come to the West Midland home of the Balti.Sure you will enjoy your holiday but it is said you can never leave Halkidiki behind it will always call you back.
May 12, 2009 07:12PM
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if Kriopigi Cars have an office in Polychrono, we'll probably only hire a car for a few days once we are actually in resort! We've visited several of the greek islands and loved them all-especially the food so can't wait for the greek salads, mousaka, souvlaki, stifado, etc!
May 12, 2009 08:05PM
No its in Kriopigi about 4 miles away but worth a visit to them as they also have avery good restaurant.
May 12, 2009 08:35PM
Hi clairestu
I agree alanapp about the carhire, Sakis at Kriopigi cars will sort you out the best deal, it is a 5 minute taxi ride to Kriopigi from where your staying and his food is fantastic, they are all very friendly, we are staying out there again in Kriopigi again in 4 weeks and have booked my car already as he does get busy this time of year, driving in this part of greece is very easy and if you have a car you can get to some of the wonderful beachs a bit further out. Public transport over there leaves a lot to be desired eg not very reliable. If you decide on a car from sakis tell him Mr Steve his Luton friend recommended him to you, he might give you a bit of a discount.We are out there from the 15th june and cant wait, if you get a car drive to carouso beach further south from where your staying its well worth a visit, hope this helps a bit, if you want to know anything else please get in touch.

Mr Steve.
May 12, 2009 08:48PM
PS

For got to say they do not have an office in Polichrono but they will bring the car to your hotel if you want, but if you are seriously thinking of hiring get in touch with him to book one, they are very busy so may not have much when you get out there, www.kriopigicars.net well worth a look at his website.

Steve.
May 12, 2009 09:46PM
Hi I second that! on using Kriopigi car hire, Sakis is great! he even phoned me at home in UK to answer my email question!!! now thats service! Only 22 sleeps to go! WOO HOO!

P.S We are being met at the airport and taken to our apartment where our car will be waiting! ( very very small charge)

Have a Great Time!!!

smileys with beer
May 14, 2009 09:42PM
When you arrive in Greece, the magazine Halkidiki experience is a good one to get, its free and mine, you can find it at most hotels and for sure at the Cockney Cafe in Polichrono

have a good holiday

Darren
info@halkidikiexperience.gr
Tanya
May 16, 2009 08:05AM
Hi,
I'm going with my mum and my sister to Halkidiki in June. I would like to know wich are the best beaches (not only in Halkidiki) and good tavernas where you can eat good and cheap...
wich trips are to do when you go there?are there any islands nearby wich are worth seeing?

please let me know 'cause I'm really intrested seeing lovely places!!

thank you,
Tanya
ps: We're staying in The Royal Kostas Apartments (is that any good?)
May 16, 2009 02:39PM
Hi Tanya

When are you staying at The Royal Kostas? Me and my boyfriend will be there from 1st-15th June, only a couple of weeks to go! From what i've read there doesn't seem to be any restaurants to definately avoid!
May 16, 2009 04:08PM
Hi clairestu

I see your out there for the 2 weeks before me, Im going on the 15th to 29th so will probably pass you at the airport. Make a point of going to the Akroplolis restaurant in Kripopigi on a saturday night for there greek night, its a must you will enoy it.
Tanya
May 17, 2009 07:09AM
Hi ClaireStu,
we are going from the 8th of june till the 15th!we will probaly have to same jurney on the way back!
I'm looking for informations about places to visit and good tavernas on this website...hopefully some1 will soon let me know!
LadyH
February 27, 2011 10:27AM
My husband and I are taking our 2 sons age 15 and 18 to kripopigi in August this year. Please can anyone advise us of the best places, beaches and resturants to visit and is it worth hiring a car?

Thanks guys...cant wait for your answers xxxx
March 02, 2011 02:40PM
I don't know Kriopigi very well but can give you some general advice. The village is built on a steep hill with the main road passing through the middle, a small square up towards the hills and a steep walk down to the beautiful beach.

Most of the shops, bars & tavernas are on the road, but I couldn't tell you which are any good!

I would say it is 100% worth hiring a car, there are lots of other pretty villages to visit and loads of nice beaches all around the peninsula. The driving is not too bad, the roads are quite good and there is basically one road that goes all the way round the edge of the peninsula, so you can just drive round and stop wherever you fancy. My favourite village is Pefkohori, which is about 15 mins south of Kriopigi. Polichrono & Hanioti are also both nice. The villages go as follows down the peninsula: Afitos, Kallithea, Kriopigi, Polichrono, Hanioti, Pefkohori, Paliouri and they are all about 5kms apart so easy to visit.

I have never used them as we always get a car from Avis at the airport, but Kriopigi Cars always get lots of recommendations, and obviously they are based in Kriopigi.

[www.kriopigicars.net]

The same family also have a big taverna in the village and lots of people rave about their Greek Night, but again, I don't have personal experience of it.

There isn't much for teenagers to do other than beachy stuff but there are some arcade games places in Hanioti and a go kart track in Hanioti and Kalithea.

Have a great holiday, and I would suggest if you want to ask any other questions it may be better to open a new topic as people may not look at this one as it was started a long time ago...
March 07, 2011 02:56PM
Kriopigi (Cold Spring) is a beautiful village, though the beach is difficult to get to, if the little train is not operating, so unless you intend to stay on the beach all the time I would recommend hiring a car, The best beach? for sand and shallow water, Palliouri, towards the tip of the peninsula, Polichrono`s is long and narrow, Hanioti, broad sand/pebbles, Pefkohori narrow sand/pebbles, but there is beach all the way along, you can walk almost all the way from Kriopigi to Palliouri on the beach, apart from where the lagoon/marina has an inlet, with just a few diversions around rocky outcrops. The water, in August, will be warm (surface temp. 2010, 32 degrees C) For nightlife, the busiest place will probably be Hanioti Square, or Pefkohori seafront. Restaurants.....there isn`t a bad one, some are excellent !
Daytime activities, besides the beach, Learn to SCUBA dive with Triton Scuba Club, Shopping trip to Thessaloniki, Boat trip along the coast of the Athos Peninsula, Drive around Sithonia (the middle Peninsula) 4X4 "safari" and lots more. The Kassandra Peninsula has lots to offer, once you`ve been here, you`ll want to return !!
March 26, 2011 11:43AM
Hi
Kriopigi is great. The kids will have a great time as the Greeks love kids of all ages. Even the older ones lol!
We have been going to kriopigi since 2003 with our children who are now 17 & 18 they still look forward to going.
The Alkion hotel is lovely and Yiannis doesnt mind people whe are not staying there to call in and use the pool. Also the Medusa is lovely and Daphne also loves none residents to call in. there are 2 car hire companies in the village but no cash machines. The Acropolis has a currency exchange, trip organising and also does the famous greek night (not to be missed!) Classis Bar is a friendly bar owned by 2 greek brothers, the children enjoy going in there as there is a pool table, sport on telly, and a laptop so they can keep in touch with friends at home. Ostria bar is friendly and owned by Nikos. All the restaurants are great we never have had a bad meal in the time we have been going. There is a take away on the end of the village that does the best Giros with REAL chips!
Villages near by Polichrono- is a pleasant village with bars and restaurants. Our friend works on the beach front in a bar, ask for Panos you will be directed to him and say hi from us. Cockney cafe is here also and does the best English breakfast.
Hanioti/Kallithea best for night life lots of shops water sports. We hire quads from Hanioti cheapest we found.
Athitos- small quaint greek village a must see. Lovely beaches bars and shopping etc
I could go on and on.
We will be in Kriopigi also in August so we might bump into you. If not let me know if you need anymore advice and enjoy your hols.
Sarah
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login