Fanis Apartments, Polychrono

Posted by Scott 
Scott
April 14, 2009 11:38AM
Hello everyone,

Me and the gf have booked our first holiday away this year and have chosen Fanis Apartments. We are a young couple, fairly active but do enjoy lazing around soaking up the sunshine and relaxing in the sea.

Have we made the right choice? What can we expect? What is their to do, i.e boat trips, watersports etc?

Hope someone can help, cannot wait for holiday time now!

Thanks

Scott
Re: Fanis Apartments, Polychrono
April 15, 2009 01:34PM
hi scott when are you going to fanis as we are going start of june and also our first time there spinning smiley sticking its tongue out and trying to find out things about the area and what the heat is like smiling bouncing smiley
ian
April 16, 2009 09:40AM
THE FANIS APARTMENTS ARE VERY NICE THE HOTEL IS ON THE BEACH THE WEATHER GETS HOT IN JUNE POLYCHRONO A NICE VILLAGE YOU CAN FIND SOMEWARE TO EAT AND DRINK THE NEXT VILLAGE DOWN IS HANIOTI WHICH IS A LOT MORE THINGS TO DO LOTS OF BARS AND EATING OUT PLACES IT WILL COST YOU ABOUT 5 EUROS TO GET A TAXI INTO HANIOTI I HOPE YOU LIKE POLYCHRONO ME AND THE WIFE GO TO PEFKOHORI VILLAGE WE HAVE BEEN GOING FOR EIGHT YEARS NOW GOING IN JUNE THIS YEAR I HOPE YOU HAVE A NICE HOLIDAY IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO PLEASE LET ME KNOW HAVE A GOOD TIME
scott
April 16, 2009 11:23AM
Hi Tom & Jane,

We are going at the end of june! Cannot wait!

Fanis hotel looks great, and its right on the beach! Perfect. I have looked around for reviews on the fanis and nearly all are very good!

Are you going for 1 week or 2?
scott
April 16, 2009 11:27AM
ian
THE FANIS APARTMENTS ARE VERY NICE THE HOTEL IS ON THE BEACH THE WEATHER GETS HOT IN JUNE POLYCHRONO A NICE VILLAGE YOU CAN FIND SOMEWARE TO EAT AND DRINK THE NEXT VILLAGE DOWN IS HANIOTI WHICH IS A LOT MORE THINGS TO DO LOTS OF BARS AND EATING OUT PLACES IT WILL COST YOU ABOUT 5 EUROS TO GET A TAXI INTO HANIOTI I HOPE YOU LIKE POLYCHRONO ME AND THE WIFE GO TO PEFKOHORI VILLAGE WE HAVE BEEN GOING FOR EIGHT YEARS NOW GOING IN JUNE THIS YEAR I HOPE YOU HAVE A NICE HOLIDAY IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO PLEASE LET ME KNOW HAVE A GOOD TIME

Thanks for the reply Ian.

Do you know if there is any watersports? also are there many excursions available and if so, which ones?

As the euro is struggling due to financial meltdown, how much of an effect will this have on prices?

I'm sure we will make a few visits to Hanioti, seems to be alot more lively at night. Will be nice to while away the evenings with a cocktail or two.... maybe 3!

Thanks Again
April 16, 2009 06:35PM
Hi scott,the fanis aprts are brill weve been going now for 4 yrs and it gets better every year,Sakis and dimitra who run the aprts are very friendly and approachable,dinos who helps in the bar is a top lad and great fun.If its a relaxing holiday you want you'll get it at the fanis.
Scott
April 17, 2009 09:54AM
p.norman
Hi scott,the fanis aprts are brill weve been going now for 4 yrs and it gets better every year,Sakis and dimitra who run the aprts are very friendly and approachable,dinos who helps in the bar is a top lad and great fun.If its a relaxing holiday you want you'll get it at the fanis.

Thanks for your reply, a relaxing holiday is exactly what we are looking for. But we would like it if there were activities to keep us occupied now and again?

Everyone has had good things to say about the fanis, this has really put my mind at rest and i cant wait till we jet off in July smiling smiley

One more thing, air conditioning? Is there any and whats it like?

Thanks all
April 17, 2009 03:46PM
yes there is and cold and it will cost about 5/6 euros a unit
April 18, 2009 03:36PM
hi scott,
we are going for 1 week.we have read good reviews about fanis apartments.
April 26, 2009 04:13PM
Hi, all. We have also been going to The Fanis for the past 4 years. Hi P Norman.
We are going beginning of July. You are right, no bad reviews. Yes there are a few water
sports in Polychrono.There are excursions,but if you want to make your euro go further don't book
with The rep, you will pay over the odds for the same trip. Book with the local tours. There are various tours available.
Our favourite have been the Pirate cruise and also to the waterpark.
Can't wait to get there. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
May 05, 2009 07:48AM
can anyone tell me if there are any markets and what days they are on????and how far are they away from the fanis apartments thumbs up
Sonia
July 27, 2009 11:32AM
I'm planning on going to the Fanis apartments this year, but I was wondering if someone could describe the sleeping arrangements, with regards to having 3 people in a room. Is the 3rd bed the sofa and if so, could an adult sleep on it?
July 27, 2009 11:56AM
If your stopping in a studio there will be three beds,if your in a apartment they will also be beds.
Sonia
July 27, 2009 12:37PM
Thanks for that info. So often you arrive in some places and find that the 3rd bed is a complete waste of time, so it's good to know that this won't be the case at the Fanis apartments.
Rachael and Ashley
September 17, 2009 05:19PM
ian
Rachael and Ashley
September 17, 2009 05:47PM
We have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Polychrono in Halkidiki. As a whole we like the resort itself, lots of nice resturants to eat in with plenty of choice. Galini's and Viva steak house were our favourites! Galini's do an amazing Mousakka and Viva do the best pizza's we have ever tasted!! : ) these restuarants are both found on the sea-front. If u explore some of the side walks you will also find Cocney cafe- which is run by 2 Brits Maraylin and John. The food in here is also lovely, and they even do a sunday roast !! it is a really cheap place 2 eat, yet the portion sizes are huge!! As a whole u can get a 3 course dinner out here for 2 pple for about 30-35 euros. there are plnty of Gyros scattered about too, for when u just fancy some fast food and want to save on some pennies! Lots of Locals holiday here, so it is a very family orientated area. The beach is quite narrow in places and a has some shingle but on a nice day the sea is lovely and calm and very clear. there are not many bars here but if u want more action Hanioiti is the next town and here there are a lot more. it costs about 7 euros each way by taxi.watersports are available but again more on offer in Hanioti. We stayed at the Fanis Appartments and we thought they deserved more than a 2 star rating. The appartments were kept clean with regular maid service, and we always had hot water for showers and clean towels every few days. If u plan to do ur own catering, the facilities are few so it is generally a better option to eat out instead. the family that ran the hotel were generally pleasent, but we found the lady that we can only assume is the wife/mum of the family, hard work sometimes. the only other thing we can complain about with regards to the room itself was the beds- they were really hard and we often woke up with a backache! ; ( but generally speaking we enjoyed our stay at this hotel, and would reccomend it to other pple. It is literally on the beach and it has a good sized pool. weather was not always good , it rained for 4 days but when it was hot, it really was!! there are no banks in polychrono,but you can exchange travellers cheques in your hotel, although u do tend to get a worse rate. well I think thats about it!! We hope whoever stays in polychrono/fanis appartments next have a great holiday!! hope this review has put u in the picture and given u some idea of what to expect!
all the best Rach- aged 28 Ash - aged 26 xxxxx
Babycakes80
April 23, 2010 12:50PM
Hi there

Fanis Apartments make a fantastic holiday... they're situated right across the road from the beach (well - I say road, it's more like a narrow stretch of block paving, and is not at all busy! There is a lovely swimming pool, and normally plenty of sunbeds, however if you feel you'd rather be on the beach you can usually hire 2 sunbeds and a parasol for about 7 euros per day (may have gone up).

Polychrono is based around the main promenade and situated away from the main road unlike its neighbour Kriopigi, a little further north. If relaxation is what you're after then Polychrono is the place to go... a point to mention - if you're sitting in the open-fronted sea facing bar, of an afternoon, take a look over the water towards the next peninsula (sithonia) and you're quite likely to see dolphins playing! This obviously depends on which time of year you go... but if you're going in June, your chances are fairly high.

There are some watersports available in Polychrono, but if you're after the good stuff, nip down the road to Hanioti (also a lil bit more lively bars-wise and it has a nightclub too just on the corner of the main road) or to Pefkohori, which is again a bit more lively. Also, if you're looking at excursions, most of them are water-based. There is a sunset cruise (weather permitting) where you can sip cocktails whilst watching the sunset over the Kassandra Peninsular. There's the Pirate's fun cruise - you'll find that most Tour Operators use the Menia Maria, captained by Mikalis. He is a little overzealous, but harmless and a good laugh. This takes you to a secluded beach on Sithonia and leaves from a little village just past Pefkohori. Same goes for the Mount Athos trip - this is a whole day trip that takes you over the water to Mount Athos, and you can see from a distance the monestaries built into the mountain. Although women aren't allowed to set foot on the monasterial bit of Athos peninsular, Mikalis will stop and let you off at a small village (Ouranopoli) at the top of the peninsular - very provincial and well worth a snapshot or 3!

The nearest market is at Nea Moudania - it's an experience definitely! You can get everything there from clothes, to fruit and veg, to livestock - chickens etc!) - It's also a nice town just to have a look around - it has more of your mainstream high street shops that you won't get in the more 'resorty' places. Markets are on a wednesday - it's really easy to get to if you're driving, straight up the main road, turn right at the top - follow the signs. Parking is basically a free-for-all so wouldn't worry too much about that. If you're not confident driving there though, most tour operators will incorporate a market visit into a day trip - think it's usually called 'Caves and Markets' or something similar, and they'll take you up to Petralona which is caves and has a museum... your rep will tell you all about it! Google Petralona Man!

Hope this helps - sorry if I rambled - I absolutely love it there! Its my second home! grinning smiley
April 23, 2010 05:27PM
I dont know if you know babycakes but the fanis have gone private this year and are not in any brochures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login