Local Olive Oil

Local Olive Oil

Posted by mmoo4d5945 
mmoo4d5945
Local Olive Oil
August 16, 2008 04:58PM
Hi All, Can we bring local olive oil back from Halkidiki (in our suitcases). When we were in Zante earlier in the year no olive oil could be carried in cases unless it was in a sealed can, which is then commercial oil and not local. We have always brought olive oil back for years and was upset by this restriction. Is it the same in Halkidiki. Regards Val.
Re: Local Olive Oil
August 16, 2008 09:00PM
Hi Val

I have frequently brought olive oil home from Kalkidiki as presents for foody fans (it's often from Crete!) and have never asked or worried about it. You can actually buy it at the airport on the way home if you wish.
August 17, 2008 10:08AM
Val,

i agree with shirls and baz, I brought olive oil home last year without any problems! just make sure you wrap it up well in your suitcase!
August 17, 2008 03:50PM
We are lucky enough to be going home by car this year, but in previous years we carefully wrapped bottles in newspaper and wrapped in towels in the suitcase with no problems.
Laura
August 19, 2008 10:50AM
Hi.

My parents have just returned from Thassos and brought me back some olive oil. My Mum had it in her hand luggage in a lunch box and they made her check it in! She was worried it wouldn't come out at the other end, but it did! It's the whole liquid restriction still in place.
mmoo4d5945
August 19, 2008 06:55PM
Hi All, Thanks for the replies. On Zante in May this year the holiday Rep told us that no one could take home Olive Oil either in their hand luggage or their cases. She said it was the airport authorities that were enforcing it. People had put oil in plastic bottles in their cases as bought locally in taverna's or local studio owners and when the cases were passed through the airport scanners they were made to remove the oil. This surely had a bad effect on the Greek peoples sales of Olive Oil, didn't do much good for the English who had bought the Olive Oil. We have always brought oil back in our cases with no problems however because of the restrictive practice at the airport this year we brought no oil at all. That is why we asked if anyone had brought oil back this year from Halkidiki through the airport. Thanks again. Regards Val.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login