Kokorretsi

Kokorretsi

Posted by mmoo4d5945 
mmoo4d5945
Kokorretsi
August 13, 2008 01:46PM
Hi All, can anyone tell me where in Hanioti or near to Hanioti that i will find a place that sells Kokoretsi .Thanks for any information we are arriving on the 25 Aug . Regards Val
Re: Kokorretsi
August 13, 2008 11:07PM
Can't help you sorry, but for anyone interested, this is what it is.....

Kokoretsi is a traditional dish of the Balkans and Anatolia consisting mainly of seasoned lamb or goat offal. Recipes usually include chopped intestines, sweetbreads, hearts, lungs and/or kidneys, marinated in lemon, olive oil and oregano, and seasoned with salt and pepper.

Among Greeks, it is traditionally consumed at Easter, though it is available year-round.
August 14, 2008 07:28AM
Hi - only had it once in Hanioti and that was several years ago -the place has been closed for some time but re-opened this year. It is not the same people & I doubt whether they do it, I enjoyed it but many tourists would shy away from it.
The taverna is in the village - find Palini Restaurant on corner & Indian (good) is past this then on the next corner is the Taverna where many years ago I got Kokorretsi.
It may be that if you visit here they may be able to order it in later in your holiday specially - I have seen it in frozen form in large catering supermarket / wholesaler we visited with our greek friends who have a business in Hanioti (Central Cafe).
When I had it it was like rough cut offal surrounded by layers of intestine that had been wrapped around then roasted ( possiblt spit roasted if I remember rightly) it was then sliced thinly.
I recall it held together well the centre looking marbled with different offal and the outside resembling layers of filo. Tasted a bit haggis like.
Hope you are able to try it Steve
August 14, 2008 08:00AM
hi i think the only place you might get Kokoretsi is in the new spit roast restuarant in Hanioti, if you walk from the square towards the taxi rank you will find it on the right hand side if they do kokoretsi it will probably only be at weekends.Sorry cant remember name of restuarant.
August 14, 2008 02:50PM
We have seen it in a few restaurants on the main road in Pefkochori. Sorry can't remember names though. Also at Obelix in Siviris. Try also main road in Kallithea, just past Massoutis at a giros type place, they advertise it now and then.
mmoo4d5945
August 16, 2008 04:51PM
Hi All, Thanks to all the people who replied to my posting. Our first taste of Greece was 20 years ago at Kassandra Palace (Kriopigi) returning this year for the first time expect to see a lot of changes (memory permitting) . Steve, I think you may be right most people would give it a miss although I have got a taste for it and nearly always try to find it , though not always successful. Magoose, Thanks for information, we might be able to get some Goat on the spit. Jane, How far is it to Pefkochori and Kallithea. Once again thanks to all who replied. Regards Val.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login