Afitos-Achtis Hotel

Afitos-Achtis Hotel

Posted by alnsal 
Afitos-Achtis Hotel
August 10, 2008 07:14PM
hello. Am back on this site after just over a year away! We Holidayed in Halkidiki in 2007 at the Odysseas in Polychrono although the holiday itself was excellent value we found Polychrono a little too brash and busy for us. Next year it is our Silver Wedding and we are hoping to do a Cruise and Stay holiday-1 week Hellenic treasures which will take in Crete,Santorini,Skiathos as well as Athens followed by 1 week at the Achtis Hotel in Afitos. I am after some honest feedback before booking up. Any help/info would be most appreciated! Many thanks Alan & Sally. PS we didnot skip Greece this year we went to Golden Beach on Thassos (wonderful)!!
Re: Afitos-Achtis Hotel
August 11, 2008 09:20AM
Hi

You don't mention what time of the year you are travelling. Afitos is a very traditional greek village but can get very busy in august. there is a lovely sandy beach with other more rocky areas within easy walking distance though you will have an uphill walk to get back to the achtis.

The achtis is a recently built hotel which is lovely and extremely well run by Magda and Achillis, 2 of the nicest people you would ever meet.

Well recommended.

Phil
August 11, 2008 06:14PM
thanks for the endorsement!
We will be going 29th June next all being well after the cruise
Alan & Sally
August 12, 2008 09:04AM
Lovely time of the year, have a good silver wedding.

Phil
Steph
August 17, 2008 06:01PM
Hi

We're off to the Achtis tomorrow. We booked it purely on the strength of the reviews on TripAdvisor - have you seen them? Hardly a bad word at all. I've worked in the luxury Hotel industry and find it difficult to stay anywhere as I'm used to high standards. I'll give you my honest opinion on our return. We were going to book for September, but had to go in August and it may be too hot - this I hope will be the only down side.

Steph
August 17, 2008 07:35PM
thanks
will await eagerly for your return!!!
Hope you have a fabulous time
Sally
September 02, 2008 05:21PM
Hi Steph
Hope you have had a fabulous holiday!
Also hope hotel was OK as we have gone and done it!
Cruise booked for 22nd June next year will take in Corinth Canal, Katakolon,Crete,Santorini,Athens,Skiathos and back to Thessaloniki then a weeks stay in Halkidiki in Afitos at the Hotel Achtis. I hope I have picked well as the price of this holiday is like 3 holidays!!!! Oh well you only celebrate your 25th Wedding Anniversary once! The Hotel looks lovely and reviews are nothing but good-just hope resort is better than Polychrono as we did not really like that last year.
Feedback from anyone is much appreciated.
Alan & Sally
Steph
September 02, 2008 07:35PM
Hi Sally
Thanks for the welcome back - how lovely of you.
I'm sure you're dying to hear the verdict. Well, if I said that once you enter through either the main road door or village door (at the back to the left of the bar), you feel like you have entered Paradise, an Oasis - how does that sound? It was perfect, absolutely wonderful!
We did nothing for 2 weeks except lie in the sun reading and when the heat got a bit too much took a dip in the pool or ordered a beer from the bar, then in the evening walked into the village which is just as we had read about, unspoilt - although it's supposed to be car-free in the evenings one or two locals get through. Now how much do you want to know because I could go on for ages.
Everything at the Achtis has been well thought out, apart from perhaps the Reception office which on first sight you may wonder where it is - it's to the right of the bar, but they usually come to you, if not just pop to the bar and Magda or Christina will make you feel welcome.
The standards at the Achtis are high and that is praise indeed from me. Everything has a quality feel to it from the lights in the bedroom to the wash basins in the public toilet near the bar. Even the kettles in the rooms are proper ones not little travel kettles and the hairdryer looked as if it had come straight from a salon. There is a full size empty fridge in the bedroom for your use. If you've not picked up on it from other reviews, a reminder, they provide a kettle, mugs and teaspoons but not tea and coffee, so you may wish to take your own. The rooms are a good size and spotless (Claire and Vasiliki start at 8am and work till done, 7 days a week) and the beds are 2 singles pushed together (and if there is a slight niggle, the sheets don't quite fit - but that's Greece). The towels are a proper size and changed every 2-3 days as are the sheets. There are safes in the bedrooms which you don't have to pay for and Magda shows you how to use that and the air conditioning when she shows you to your room. The bathroom is modern with a proper tiled base to the corner shower and a contempory wash basin. The balcony is larger than a lot of usual hotels and it's lovely to sit there before going to bed with a glass (of whatever you fancy) and gazing at the atmospheric lighting. The garden area has been well planned with a couple of shrubberies and undulates slightly in a couple of places so that you don't have to be near anyone if you wish to read in peace. There are enough sunbeds and the sofas and seating area around the pool gives a very relaxed feeling - just not like your run-of-the-mill hotel. All the outside tables have glass tops and are continually wiped over and kept clean, even in the bedrooms the surfaces are covered with glass so that furniture doesn't get scratched. At breakfast where Elizabeth together with Anna & Natalie will look after you, the tables are continually having fresh cloths on them. The paths are hosed down 2 or 3 times a day.
The village is through the back door and although the dirt path looks unlikely, follow it down (and I mean down) and you'll come to the edge of the busy bit - it's quite bustling at night but not brash. If you need the supermarket, there's a good one if you turn right at the bottom of the hill before going on into the village, and it's on the left.
There are lots of Tavernas to choose from, our favourite was 'Christos'. Go into the village past the barrier, the Church soon appears on the right (we saw two weddings, one each Saturday - they were about 8pm). Opposite are two roads, take the right fork and walk up past the Pharmacy, past 'Haris' restaurant on the left, keep going and 'Christos' is on the right (the name obscured a bit by overhangings, but look at the menu board as it's on there). Also one known as the second fish restaurant called 'Galera' but it doesn't look that way as the spelling is in Greek. Instead of taking the left roads, continue straight on and you come to cliff top. They give large portions and you are brave if you eat the bread (always given as an appetiser everywhere, charged at €2), a starter and the main course - we have not managed to finish a meal there yet. Prices are much the same at most of them, mousaka and most meals can be found for €7-€9 then fillets tend to be more €10-€14. We found a reasonable red wine called 'Makedonikas' for €10, although it costs €15 at the Achtis. Beer is generally €2 for large beer again at the Achtis it's €4 and a small beer is €3 but then always served with a bowl of nuts or crisps.
An ATM has just been installed at the bank in Afitos, but it quite often doesn't have any money in it, so don't depend on that. Most people have to go to Kalithea to change money, although there was an exchange rate board by the office.
In the event of boring you I shall stop now but if there is anything you wish to know just ask and I'll try to help. If you would like to see any pictures, I've got those too!
By the way, the rest of your planned holiday sounds fantastic. Hope it all goes well.
Regards
Steph
September 03, 2008 05:35AM
Morning Steph
Just had a quick log-on this morning and your kind, informative review nearly made me weep! Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to help put my mind at rest! It sounds like you had a fabulous time. I am so excited now-as if I wasn't already! Lucky you having 2 weeks in the Achtis. I would love to see some pictures if it is not too much trouble! After the hassle I had booking the holiday-I usually book on-line myself but had to do this one through the Travel Agent and have ended up feeling a bit ripped off and totally exasperated! Never mind all is done! We are going on an adults only boat the Calypso as we don't "do" children! We have none and don't like having our peace and quiet interupted! Anyhow, I have got to get to work.
Thank you so much once again
Best Regards
Sally
Steph
September 03, 2008 09:42PM
Hi Sally
Would it be better if I emailed some pictures to you? Is it possible to let me have your email address?
Best wishes
Steph
September 04, 2008 05:25AM
Hi Steph
My e-mail is sally.alan@tiscali,co.uk
Many thanks
Sally
michael Deacon
September 04, 2008 10:42AM
Hi staying in the Achtis next week, sounds great. Looking to hire a car anyone now how much? also is it better to exchange cash for euro at the hotel or the local bank.
September 04, 2008 12:04PM
Hi Michael.

Hire a car from kriopigi cars www.kriopigicars.net (Sakis the weatherman) to those of you who regular go on the forum, you will get a great service, good cars, fully comprehensive insurance at a good price. If you are travelling independently to the Achtis he will pick and drop you at the airport

There is now an ATM machine in Afitos or there is one in Kalathea around 1 mile away.

Have a good holiday

Phil
September 04, 2008 12:05PM
Sorry the website for car hire is www.kriopigi.net
September 06, 2008 11:17AM
Hi Sally
Just about to email the photo's, I'm sending them in large format so you can see them properly. If you have trouble downloading them let me know. I've registered on this site now and will hopefully be able to upload them for others to see.
By the way, I didn't mention that the Achtis also has a free Gym, not everybody's need on a holiday but I'm about to have a new hip and thought it a good idea to strengthen some muscles - particularly upper arms ready for the crutches! The Gym is situated in the basement of 'B' Block which is the block opposite the bar - our room was 202B, they are all different in some way so the room you have may not be exactly the same - unless you get 'our' room! 'A' Block is the block at right angles to the bar, apparently that one was built first, presumably hence the 'A'.
I appreciate your comment that you don't 'do' children, I don't either (although I've inherited Rob's now 15yr old) and have gone Thomson Gold before, but there aren't any in Greece, which is our favourite destination. You will find children at the Achtis, although I presume there were more when we were there due it being August. That's why we sunbathed on the grass, there's plenty of room to be by yourself and near enough to take a dip.
Bye for now.
Steph
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login