Where to go in Halkidiki

Where to go in Halkidiki

Posted by scorpios 
Where to go in Halkidiki
July 21, 2008 01:45PM
Hello all, I am new to this forum.

Have been advised by other holidaymakers while on hols in Kefalonia, that Halkidiki is a lovely place to go.

Anyone got any advice on what would suit a forty something couple who enjoy a bustling, but greek village atmosphere. We like to stay very near the beach and love eating out in traditional tavernas, with a choice of bars to sit and watch the world go by.
Re: Where to go in Halkidiki
July 21, 2008 03:45PM
Nea Skioni is a small fishing village with a newly built marina, although trips were supposed to go from there to Thessaloniki that fell through and now just boats moor there. It is interesting to sit and watch boats come in and out. There is a nice beach which extends past the actual village area so you can find quiet parts too. Lots of places to eat, some of the best are the small Greek places that look a bit "tired" but do the best and cheapest food and have the friendliest owners. It is not that touristy as such as mainly Greeks holiday there, although a hotel opened this year which may change the outlook of this nice little village in the future. For now it is lovely though.

There are a few cafe bars, but to be honest it is much cheaper to sit at the Greek places, or at the waterfront places to drink a beer or two.
July 21, 2008 06:47PM
Hi Hanioti is a bustling place with lots or tavenas etc -we have beeen going for many years - generally for couples and families - plenty of places to eat and drink based around a square with fountain. Sit at our friends smart cafe bar (Central cafe) and people watch.
Good base to explore the peninsula - you can walk the quieter beach road to next village 4km away or hire road going auto quad bike for 35 euro for the day and drive around the peninsula stopping at the various villages. The road is easy and very difficult to get lost.
Have a great time Steve & Sherrilyn
July 21, 2008 08:14PM
Thanks for your prompt replies, which are extremely useful. Not sure when we are going yet, it won't be this year as we have already had our holiday, but I do like to research before I go.

Thanks again, and anymore tips will be welcome.
michael
August 02, 2008 08:16PM
hanioti is a good place to go
August 03, 2008 08:28AM
Hi Scorpios

Try Polichrono, I've been about 12 times in the last 8/9 years and can't get enough of it.

I wouldn' say its bustling but its not a huge resort either.

Its fairly laid back but has plenty of restaurants of all types (Greek, pizza/pasta. fast food etc) and a few bars. Most of them are along the seafront but there's others up the side streets.

Each end of the beach there's a music bar, Tropical and Laska, but in between there's other bars where you can just chill out and have a drink.

Regards.
August 03, 2008 04:18PM
Thanks again. I will look forward to visiting recommended places x
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login