Falicum - Don't insult those who are trying to help

Posted by Jane 
October 27, 2007 12:27PM
Excuse me ! I donate my own money to a local lady who sterlises dogs. I also collect and donate money from England.

ALSO l dont feed them all summer, I feed them as long as I can afford to stay here, which this year is til mid November.

We did not put the dogs and cats there in the first place, that is the locals with little money or the Greek, yes GREEK tourists, who bring them here in the summer and leave them to die, not us. They know they can get them sterilised if they want to.

If it was not for people like me and others who feed the dogs in the summer, and who donate money to the only people willing to try to solve these problems (usually German or English woman who use much of their own money), then it would be in an even more sorry state.

So please don't criticise. Pay for sterilisation? It costs 100 euros per dog. There are hundreds upon hundreds of dogs straying. But then we could leave it to the locals or their councils to take care of. They then do what has just apparently happened in Polichrono, they MASS poison them !

The locals, god bless them you are so worried about them, they put pups in rubbish bins rather than tackle the main issue of sterilisation. These pups then if not resued by the likes of me and others who care about them, are doomed to be crushed to death in the garbage trucks.

Locals and their money do not come into it. It is education that they need. And the thought that perhaps if they look into their souls and look at their regilious beliefs, they will see that God did not just make humans on this earth, he made everything. A little compassion would go a long way to making more tourists come to Greece. There are many who no longer come because of the lack of compassion, humanity or even basic interest shown in animals, and this includes dogs, cats, donkeys, horses and the rest.

If you dont want to help, and you think it is so easy, then you visit the people who care for these strays and abandoned pups. OK a few may be Greek, but many are English or German wives of Greeks, who now live here and cannot bear to see the misery that is inflicted on these poor animals.
Re: Falicum - Don't insult those who are trying to help
October 27, 2007 03:10PM
Good for you Jane.
I live in the area during the summer months as well.
It may not be the best thing to do but how can you not feed them when they are hungry.A couple of years ago there was a charity that travelled around in a van and they streralised all the strays.They were driving across the hill from hanioti to Skioni one day when they got run of the road by a driver that couldn't be bothered to stop.The vets were unharmed luckily but the van was a write off so no more help for the strays
October 27, 2007 06:38PM
Thanks Pedro. We all do our best. It makes me mad when people dont know what they are talking about.

And, if we did sterilise them, then what, Does food fall out of the sky for them? I think not!

Where do you live in the summer months? We are in Mola Kaliva, and we have our own dog here who is very well protected and looked after. She swims in the sea at the bottom of the garden and walks out on a lead so I can check what she is trying to eat. Luckily she seems OK, but it is very wearing and is such a shame that such a beautiful country is so dangerous for dogs, and other animals.

Bye for now
Jane
October 29, 2007 06:11PM
Hi Jane.
I live in Paliouri and work with Odyssey Dive Club.
We help keep the beaches and underwater areas clean in the summer but we are fighting a loosing battle
October 29, 2007 07:13PM
I know what you mean. The litter about now is really bad. We have been coming to Halkidiki for over 30years and have never seen the litter situation so bad.

Our beach at Mola Kaliva is lovely in summer, but even then I have to clean up after people who come down and leave their rubbish in a bag on the beach, when there is a bin at the top of the path.

Now, I keep cleaning the beach but like you say it is a losing battle. I dont want to look at rubbish on the beach, but it seems unless I keep cleaning it up it will just get worse. The problem seems to be that the Greeks are very very clean in their homes and gardens, but outside doesnt seem to bother them. For instance locally a man cleared his garden of all tree rubbish etc and dumped it on land NEXT to his house and forgot it. But to me, next to my house means my house looks awful too.

I walked along the beach a week ago to find garden rubbish on the beach. OK, that might wash way, but also was bit pots, plastic, with old plants in. I cannot understand it.

They want the Blue Flag Beaches, and I must say some of them are lovely, but the battle is with those who just come for the months of July and August and couldnt care less what happens the rest of the time, so they dump their rubbish when they leave and, of course, a year later it has disappeared. But to where.

I constantly try to rid the beach of plastic bags, they are so dangerous to the sealife as you know.

Lets keep trying, someone has to !

Jane
November 22, 2007 12:20PM
wrong pedro sorry.
November 23, 2007 07:17PM
U HAVE PRIVATE MESS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login