Sterling Vs Euro travellers cheques

Posted by LisaW 
July 15, 2007 06:37PM
Hi all,
Wondered if anyone could answer my question, I'm going to Polichrono in August and wondered if it's best to take sterling or euro travellers cheques? The last time I went to Greece was way before the euro so you automatcally took sterling but I'm not too sure now?
Lovin' this forum, I've been reading all the posts and its been really helpful - everyone seems keen to help each other out with info etc, fantastic!
Anyway if anyone has any advice to offer that would be great.

Cheers in advance,
Lisa
Re: Sterling Vs Euro travellers cheques
July 16, 2007 06:32AM
Lisa

I've taken both sterling and euro cheques in the past and have not had any problems with either.

Where are you staying in Polochrono? I came back last monday and have booked again for September, love the place.

Regards.

Ian

July 16, 2007 07:18AM
HI,

Sure someone said sterlin were better....but I don't know why? I am going to Hanioti on 9th August and I need to sort my moneys out.

Is it worth taking any English cash? Will places exchange that at a good rate? (I think I asked this question on here before but don't remember getting a reply).

Thanks
July 16, 2007 08:01AM
Today's exchange rate, same as for the last 4 weeks.
100.00 pounds sterling = 140.00 euros

Yes it is worth taking English cash !!

Sakis
www.kriopigi.net
-----------Bring the drahma back !!!!
July 16, 2007 09:45AM
hi twas me said take sterling

sterling better rate

you can get english money changed too

eughmag did you go to Down Under Bar and meet Harry ????

Jeff
July 16, 2007 02:11PM
When i travel i take a few euros then go to the ATM machine for more cash this saves on any hassle when changing money and i get a good rate. Not sure if there is an ATM machine in Polichrono but there is definetly one in Kalathea and as yet i have never had a problem with it pinching my card or not working. Then you don't have to have the security problem off carrying too much money, just don't loose your cash card.

Regards

Phil
July 16, 2007 02:16PM
Same here Phil, I also take a Visa along just in case the machines aren't working. My wife also takes her cards just incase I lose mine!

If people have the chance to do so then it's worth getting a Nationwide bank account as they do not charge you to use your card abroad unlike many more banks.
July 16, 2007 02:48PM
Hi Jeff,

I have not been to Hanioti yet....I go on the 9th August. Who should I go and meet?
July 17, 2007 08:22AM
There is an ATM in Polichrono. Its up on the main road by the traffic lights next to the bus shelter.
July 17, 2007 05:00PM
Wow cannot believe the response! thanks for all your replies.

Ian - We are staying at Fanis Apartments, going on the 2nd Aug and can't bloody wait!
Haven't had a 2 week hol since 2003 so we are really looking forward to it.

By the way I wonder if you happen to know what the public transport there is like, i'd like to have a chill out and not hire a car if I can help it?

Anyway thanks again

Lisa
July 17, 2007 08:57PM
hi Euphmag

lol just go into the Down Under Bar and say " im looking for Ned Kelly ......... But Harry will do " lol .

Harry is a greek Australian a great guy an as mad as a hatter. Funny but Most of the people i know/knew in Polychrono have left cept for Harry and his wife.

have a great time

Jeff
July 18, 2007 08:09AM
Lisa

Never stayed at the Fanis but they seem to be highly recommended judhing by the posts on this forum. The apartments are right on the seafront about 5 yards from the beach. Just to the left as you come out in the Laska Bar which has satellite tv/music/karaoke etc if thats your thing.

Can't tell you anything about the public transport as I never seem to get out of Polichrono. I've walked to Hanioti, takes about 30 mins. Actually I've never seen any public transport in all the years I've been going,

Have a good time chilling out.

Regards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login