Hi all

Hi all

Posted by Otis 
Hi all
May 07, 2007 02:28PM
Hi ya, normally visit the islands but just booked up to go to Hanioti for a fortnight from the 7th June, we don't normally book 'blind' but we were just browsing the net as you do and saw a holiday that took our fancy in other words it was the right dates for the right price however we know nothing about Hanioti or for that fact Halkidiki so if you could give us a clue as to what we might expect when we arrive ie, temperatures in June, best bars, where to get the best food, beaches, car hire , bus services, trips, sights, etc, etc i'd be very grateful, many thanks in advance, Otis.

BORN THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE RIVER
ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS!
Re: Hi all
May 07, 2007 03:40PM
Haven't stayed in Hanioti, but having been going to Halkidiki for 30 years, here goes.

Hanioti itself. The BeerHouse, Zytheon, is very good if you like to try different beers. Also sells cocktails, food, soft drinks etc. Very friendly owners and staff. Just down from there on the corner opposite the market Gustos Italian Pizza, we had a very good pizza here in March this year. On the other side of the square to the left is a road full of snack bars. These offer good deals on giros and beers, and are good for a nice cheap snack and drink. Thats it for Hanioti from me !

Car hire, you can book locally or in advance. We have used Economy Car Rentals advertised on this site. However last time we were disappointed as the car was not good at all. You can get good deals in advance with Avis, Hertz, National etc. Local one in Kriopigi is good, Kriopigi Cars.

Temperatures in June. Depends on the year ! We have always gone in June, usually mid June onwards. We lived there three years too. So on average around 70-80, early June will be the cooler. But not necessarily so, as we have been in May and nearly expired when we had no air con. Last year we were there end June and it was very very hot, I remember as it was my birthday and hubby was suffering in silence (not quite!). We have been lucky in June with no rain, but it could rain any time. The good thing is that if it does rain it usually dries up very quickly.

If you have a hire car you can see some of the less touristy places if you want to. Lovely restaurant Villa Stasa at Loutra (end of peninsula). Not many tourists go, spectacular views over sea, you can get down to sea and snorkel near rocks, good food and good prices and portions. They speak a little English, certainly enough to order from their menu which shows English. Paliori, nice old village. Not much there but nice to sit and eat/drink and watch the goings on. Just very laid back.

Our friends place Sweet Coffee Shop in Kriopigi. Go there for out of this world crepes, savoury and sweet. Club sandwiches, pizza and this year they are doing Buffalo (low fat) beefburgers and smoothies, as well as lots I cant remember. They are a lovely couple and everyone who goes there returns, must say something. Say hello to Sakis and Morfy from Jane and Martyn.

Siviris has a nice beach, especially if you turn left at the entrance road rather than parking and going right. Narrow, sandy but not especially busy until weekends or mid July. Snack bars to the right, beach bars to the left. Good fish restaurant straight on opposite the jetty. Lovely setting.

I could go on for hours. Depends what you want to do, see. We did the trips 30 years ago. I would say the Alexander the Great (if they still do it), Pella, Odessa and the Mount Athos monastery boat trip are amongst the best. They are all a way from Halkidiki so be prepared for a long day.

If you hire a car, go for a drive round SIthonia, the next peninsula. Try Vouvourous, we loved it when we found it last year (yes we still find places after 30 years!). Nea Marmaras is a nice place, quite touristy but lots of shops and eateries.

If you want anything else in particular let me know. I bet you get loads more replies and you might need some younger things to do ! Nightclubs are an unknown to me, sorry.

Cheers, have a great time.
May 07, 2007 11:24PM
Thanks Jane thats a great start you're right we will need younger things to do, im 50 the other half's 48 but we both think were still 16. One thing i forgot to ask is are we likely to be plagued by mozzies in June?
May 08, 2007 07:17AM
Yes, 'fraid so ! It isnt usually plagued so much as they are about. Worst time is early evening. We found when we have a shower and then sit outside to dry off for a while that is when we were getting bitten the most. You can buy Johnsons OFF at local supermarkets and you can spray this on yourself, your sheets etc. It does work and is not expensive.

Some places appear worse than others. We have never had a major problem but we live on the other side in Mola Kaliva in the summer. Most people last year who complained about plagues of mozzies were staying near Paliori.

Worse thing in June for us is the horseflies, locals call them davanos. It seems to us, having lived there April til Nov, that in June these horrible things with huge green eyes actively seek you out to sting. Dont know whether they breed in June, but rest of the time they do not bother you. They particularly go for you if you have been in the sea, pool or shower outside. They are very light and you cannot feel them land on you. But they are huge. Their sting is sharp but it doesnt last as long as a mozzie bite. The only thing is that the sight of them scares me to death. Having said that over 30 years it is only hubby that has got stung. Perhaps because I am way off down the road, beach whatever when I see one !

I also found when living there that if I visited a beach that had lots of people on it, the chances were I didnt see one or get bitten, safety in numbers ! For that reason in June I never went down to our local beach as there was usually only me there......

HAve a great time. Hope someone tells you about discos. We are 50/53, but we prefer bars and tavernas, so no help to you on this one.

May 08, 2007 07:22AM
Otis, forgot to mention a nice bar, Casablanca Sports Bar in Kriopigi. Debbie and Tony will welcome you. Another first for us this year when we visited in March.
May 08, 2007 01:50PM
Jane you've been a great help many thanks i'll be on my guard with regards the horseflies i think with these things its always the luck of the draw so i'll keep my fingers crossed. We will keep our eyes open for some of your recommendations they're much appreciated.

Otis

Sorry to be pain but have just been asked to ask if their would be any chance of spotting any dolphins whilst in Halkidiki in June and if so where would be the most likely place?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2007 03:31PM by Otis.
May 08, 2007 04:57PM
Hi Otis.
I saw some Dolphins just after I got out of the water fron a scuba dive.You can see them any time of the year and from the beach
May 08, 2007 05:02PM
I wish I had. In our 30 years there we have never seen one. Pedro, where is best?
May 09, 2007 01:58PM
Yeah Pedro is there a place where you are more likely to see them than any other?
Pina
September 03, 2008 01:31PM
I need the Tel-number vom Tony Sportsbar Casablanca from Kriopigi!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login