The Old Tavern, Hanioti

The Old Tavern, Hanioti

Posted by Amanda 
Pearse
Re: Old Tavern
September 27, 2005 03:24PM
Hi,
Hope to pop in for a bit of brekkie at the tail end of next week with my girlfriend Beth...Is there a local web address for bike hire/scuba stuff? Whats the Lesse studios like as we`re booked in there,know its a cheeky ask but hopefully we`ll repay you with some food n drink next week !! Ta P....
amanda
September 27, 2005 06:26PM
Brenda
Be great to see you - i didnt realise there were any more flights on 13th - i thought all flights stopped then! We will look forward to seeing you!

Pearse
I will check for website for scuba- there is bike hire in the Square - i will also find out that website address.
ive heard Lesse are fab in every way -except thin walls!!! Its what ive been told! Please pop in and see us - we are very nearby to Lesse!

Cheers
Amanda
Kerry
September 28, 2005 03:28PM
See ya in 8days Amanda!x
amanda
September 28, 2005 06:49PM
I look forward to it Kerry!! best to bring a brolly too xx
Kerry
September 30, 2005 06:36AM
I got 1.....& wellies......& jumpers haha.x
pete baker
Re: strand apartments hanioti halkadiki greece
March 24, 2006 10:58AM
hi

Can anyone help going to these apartment in the summer ,are they airconditioned as you know a lot of apartments in greece dont have it as standard . Wife booked without checking haaa got to blame someone ,and i cant find any reference on there web site . thanks pete b
Elena
Re: The Old Tavern, Hanioti
March 27, 2006 06:35PM
Hi amanda, I saw one old information(since 2003y.)
I just wonder if u need workers for summer job, I am student 24 y. girl, and i plan to work at Hannioti, since may 2006, till ednd of season.
If u can purcuse me some information abouth job there,
Regards!
amanda
April 02, 2006 04:13PM
Hello Nikos

Any chance of deleting the comment above - pretty unwanted i think!

Elena - thanks for your enquiry but we are already sorted with our staff. However there will be many people looking for staff so if you email me directly on dimitrios_amanda@hotmail.com then i will certainly pass on your details.

Rosemary - really nice to see you still on the forum! Hope we see you again this year in Hanioti!!

Thanks
Amanda
May 22, 2006 01:12PM

Hi Amanda

we are coming..............c u all soon. Get the kettle on. Will be down for a nice meal

love jo john and Loz x

amanda
May 26, 2006 09:52AM
Hi there Jo john and Lauren

Looking forward to seeing you all - when are you booked for??

Cheers
Amanda
May 30, 2006 10:21PM

Hi there Manda

we will be arriving on the 27th July till the 13th of August. Hope your all well, it will be great to catch up........see you then

Jo John and Lauren x
JoJo
June 09, 2006 08:35PM
We visited your restaurant on our return visit to hanioti this year.
We were disgusted with your practice of bringing out a basket of bread with the impression it was complimentary and then charging us for it even thought we didnt eat it.
As there was five of us you charged us 1.20 each at a cost of 6.00 (for bread we didnt eat).
Anyway because of this we chose not to eat at The Old Tavern again and told all the friends we had made of this practice.
Also your restaurant was the most expensive night out in the fortnight!
Maybe you should take a look at the Amethystos and Gusto Italian restaurants which are always busy with return customers and take note.
None of the other restaurants we visited charged us for bread we didn't want.
If we want to get ripped off we can stay at home.
If you ask for this negative review to be removed like the other previous ones by the forum administrator, then you obviously cant take critisim positively.
amanda
June 10, 2006 07:48AM

Firstly i would like to say the comments which i asked to be removed were due to hackers getting onto the halkidiki site - we do not ask for negatives comments to be removed as we believe this site is for all customers to comment and share their views.

The charge you paid was a cover charge which all the restaurants charge, whether they include it in the price of the meal or separately. The cost isnt a cost for bread - had you have asked me when you were in the restaurant i would have been happy to explain it to you.

Im sorry you were not happy with us but i hope you enjoyed your holiday otherwise.

Thanks
Amanda
June 10, 2006 08:17AM
Jo Jo, firstly I have to say I have never been to the Old Tavern as we have our own favourite places we like to eat where we have been going for many years.

However, as Amanda rightly says, it is a cover charge and it is charged at every place we have been to, including Gusto Italiano. I am not sure of amounts, it usually does not consitute a high charge and is to cover the bread, service etc. It has been in existence at least all the time we have been going, over 30 years, but we have never found it excessive. However, we do eat the bread !

I am not sticking up for anyone, not knowing Amanda or the Old Tavern, but just explaining that it is a part of the culture/way of life. It happens in the major cities and the islands too, and not just in tourist areas.

I hope you had a good holiday otherwise.

Cheers
Jane
JoJo
June 10, 2006 12:34PM
Sorry! we assumed the 1.20 Euro charge was for bread as this was the only thing that we could think of that all five of us were given.
However we are aware that all other restaurants charge a service charge which is clearly stated on the receipt,but your restaurant was still more expensive by an average of 10 Euro compared to everywhere else we ate out.
We are not saying we didnt enjoy our meals, in fact they was very nice indeed!!!!
If your prices were the same as the other places we ate out at, then we would have visited you again!
Maybe you should make people aware of the service charge when you take their orders then they wont be shocked by this.
Yes we did have a nice holiday thank you.
June 10, 2006 04:36PM

Jojo,
I have to say I have eaten many times in Amandas restaurant, and found the prices very fair, the service excellent, the food lovely.
I do think if you had a problem over the £7.00, you should have said so at the time. It really is'nt nice to put unwarranted comments on this site that may effect peoples livelihoods. Although in the case of the Old Tavern if you look back through this thread you will see this restaurant has many happy customers that return time and again.

Joanne
JohnCole
June 10, 2006 05:17PM
Hello Hanioti. and jojo....
I have not replied to any of these before but I do read them and you all make me laugh. this is better than news at ten.

Firstly. when i take my family out for a meal, the last thing on my mind is, am i being ripped off by 10 euro's... 6 quid in english, a packet of fags and a news paper.

jojo you stated that it was the only thing all five of you all had... well thats great because I know of places in other villages that you could have all got the shits, just like your giving me.

you must be a communist as they want everything to be the same and the same price. how boring is that. there has to be an expensive and a lowest price. you get what you pay for.
i see there was no complaint about the quality of the food, just the bread.
in future, take the bread get a greek salad and dip the bread in the olive oil which is now at the bottom of the bowl.
don't worry, i'm writing this very slow, so you take it in............ okay. got it so far.....

then when you get to order your main meal, you will only need a small meal instead of a more expensive big meal.... still with me... get the picture.... thats right you will save money.....
have you ever herd the saying, when in rome.....

the trouble with you all is that you don't really travel. what you want is england in the sun. it's not just the language it's the culture. the ambiance. the smell, the people.

the trouble is when english eat no holiday, they just want to eat and then get to the bar.

next time your in Greece. try spending the whole night sat around a table, with friends talking, putting the world to rights. you may find that the owners of the restaurant join you, and you may start to understand why Greece is Greece.

but after all that, if you don't like it don't go back. i hear Butlins are doing some great deal this year and the bread is free.

john cole (part time greek)
June 11, 2006 06:24AM
Well said John, part time Greek !!
BUT… You forgot to mention the ..desserts !!
And I don’t mean the whole Baklava or Kataifi, just the warm honey syrup at the bottom of the plate.
It’s very nice and tasteful and goes well with the rest of the…bread.(if any left from the Greek salad!!).
Have a great holiday.
Lol
‘Sakis’ 100 per cent Greek !!

ps.Any ideas for coffees please??
Tina
June 11, 2006 07:13AM
Hello, Wonder if you can help, cant seem to get weather forecast for hanioti just the airport/port on the bbc weather, & that looks worrying, mostly rain??? not used to that when we go to greece, have you any idea what the weather is going to be ? is it different from what we are seeing. We are coming out tomorrow for a week to Hanioti. Thanks Tina.
JohnCole
June 11, 2006 08:47AM
Hi Sakis.
i'm only a part time greek as we used to live in Hanioti for a year. the best time of our lives, so far.
i am back in july for 3 weeks if you live near by perhaps we can meet for a meal and you can introduce me to even more good food. john
if you live in hanioti i will meet you in Paralios. get well soon Deanos.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.