Kalithea

Kalithea

Posted by Milo 
Milo
Kalithea
January 26, 2006 01:15PM
Thinking of going to Aegean Melathron for honeymoon in August...Please can anyone advise of what type of resort Kalithea is? Also, has anyone stayed at the hotel?

Any help in this important decision would be very much appreciated!

Thankyou very much!
Jane
Re: Kalithea
January 26, 2006 06:05PM
We have been going to Halkidiki over 30 years now. We used to go into Kallithea a lot as it was a very very small old village. It has gradually become quite a busy touristy place with lots of places to eat and drink, and there are some nightclubs nearby too.

Personally we dont like it as it can be very expensive to drink and is full of gold/jewellery shops and tourist shops. There is a good taverna right next to the Masoutis supermarket where the food is excellent and good value.

However, the Aegean Melathron is about a 20 minute walk away from Kallithea, or a two minute taxi ride. The hotel is new and looks very nice. We used to always stay at the Pallini Beach in years gone by, which is almost next to the Melathron. Opposite is the Macedonia Sun Centre which has bars and shops, but again can be quite expensive.

You can also get a taxi the other way into Kriopigi which is a nice small village mainly set on the main road, but with a nice square and cold water spring, and some nice places to eat and drink (not least our Greek friends, at the Sweet Coffee Shop which sells alcohol, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas, freshly made savoury and sweet crepes, toasted sandwiches etc. Morfy and Sakis own it). Not far away at all. Also you can go into Hanioti for more varied bars and eating, and some English eateries (cant speak for them as we only eat Greek in Greece!). The hotel would seem to be a good base as it is on the same stretch of beach as the Pallini, and the sea and beach is very nice there.

If you like nightclubs, then there are two just about a ten minute walk down the road towards Kallithea.

Hope this helps a bit. It really depends on what you want from your holiday. We dont really mind where we stay as we always have a car, so we choose accommodation on the basis of available air conditioning and peacefulness.

Cheers
Jane
January 27, 2006 12:23PM
Hi,

The Ageon Melathron is beautiful. I haven't seen the rooms but the inside is stunning, nice and cool in the hot summers, has about 3 pools all leading down to the sea and beach.
The hotal has loads of facilities, gym, pools, beauty things and the food is lovely.
I repped there for a few weeks in the first summer it was open and it really is beautiful.
The night clubs are not near enough to create noise at night and the resort of Kalithea is lovely. Yes it has a lot of tourist shops but also some nice traditional greek restaurants if you fancied a night away from the hotel and some lovely bars. Kalithea is no more expensive to drink in than the other villages, the prices vary from bar to bar wherever you go, some can be pricey but others are average. The bars and the clubs near the hotel are more expensive.

I personally would love to saty in that hotel, staff were so helpful and had no complaints whilst I was there.
I think however the annex rooms, not sure if that is the corret name for them, but they are accross the road so ask for the main hotel.
Jane
January 27, 2006 04:53PM
ANON Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kalithea is no more expensive to
> drink in than the other villages, the prices vary
> from bar to bar wherever you go, some can be
> pricey but others are average.

I beg to differ here. As someone who lived over there for three years, and has been every year for the last 25 years, I know Kallithea is more expensive than other places.

OK, there are other places that are expensive too, but in general you can drink more reasonably in Kriopigi, Hanioti, Pefkohori, Fourka, to name but a few.

There are some nice places to eat, one I mentioned before, and it is at these places that you can generally drink pretty cheaply.

Last year we stayed at apartments of our friends in Kallithea and we were totally shocked at the prices of beers (local as well) in the local bars. We never found an average priced beer in Kallithea (apart from when eating) in the three weeks we were there.

Like I said before, depends what you want, but if you want a few cheap beers on the odd night go the other way, to Kriopigi.

Jane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login