Things to do near Nea Moudania

Posted by Nicole 
Nicole
September 06, 2005 03:43PM
Hi

Were are staying in the Oceania Hotel next week and although the hotel reviews have much improved the local town has not been receiving the best comments.

Can any one suggest nearby towns/resorts that are nice for an evening meal/drink/stroll?

Thanks
Kerry
Re: Things to do near Nea Moudania
September 06, 2005 04:17PM
Personaly Nicola for saying how long i've been going to Halkidiki i only went to Nea Moudania for the first time this year(went for the fab market)& can honestly say that from what i saw of it i WOULD stay there,quite a busy little place & seemed like there was plenty of nice little street cafe's,cafe/bars,shops etc.Can't comment on the nightlife if there is any because i didn't stay that late so i'd suggest giving it a go instead of bypassing it all together.If however you don't like it then you're within easy reach of all the other resorts on the peninsula by bus which is very cheap.Don't know much about the areas directly round Moudania but there is a lady called Jane that uses this site who i know has stayed in that area so she'll probably be able to help more.
Jane
September 06, 2005 05:04PM
Yes, it is me, Jane the other lady ! I have been going to Halkidiki over 25 years, but have never stayed near Nea Moudania. However, I have been to Nea Moudania manymany times over the years and personally I can't see the problem. But then I have been to many Greek islands, mostly the ones you can only get to easily if you actually live in Greece, and I am used to seeing normal working towns and villages that are not always pretty. These must be at least one on most islands.

Yes it is a working town, yes it is a bit scruffy in places, yes a few areas could be described as dirty - much like some working towns anywhere in Europe, Britain included. The Greek government doesnt hand money out to these small towns, yet, to improve things. But if people moan about the @#$%& pavements and the mad traffic, then I have to assume they all come from super efficient towns in Britain where there is no traffic or bad pavements (no such thing as far as I am aware !)

The traffic in the town is quite bad, but then again the traffic on many of the smaller islands has been the same in my experience. The Greeks are just mad drivers, and I should know, my dad was Greek.

Anyway, to cut to the point, there are plenty of small cafes and restaurants in the town to eat and have a drink at. Again, personally I go for the authentic Greek places rather than tourist themed, although most are authentic as it is not a tourist town.

There are a few lovely shops selling nice picture frames, candles, glassware and that sort of thing, quite a lot of standard type shops, fishmongers, cafes, tavernas, restaurants, and a lovely patisserie shop (can't remember the name, but like anywhere else in greece you will see it as you pass by the window full of cabinets of chocolates, cakes and pastries). My husband particularly liked the ironmongers (not me though !!) as it was full of bits and bobs that men like to root through, and can no longer find in Britain as we are now full of B and Q type shops.

I am not saying Nea Moudania is a pretty town, far from it, but it does have a certain Greek appeal that a lot of the more tourist areas have lost. The people are friendly and it has a market (not sure if it is Wed or Thurs, Kerry went this year so perhaps she can remember).

Give it a try. You are forwarned, so forarmed. If you look past the slight scruffiness and speak to the local people, have a drink looking out over the sea, you might just like it! I hope so.
Pam
September 10, 2005 12:43PM
Hi Nicole

I stayed at the Oceania for 2 weeks in August. I agree with everything that Jane has said about Nea Moudania and found it to be pleasant walk to have a change of scenery along the beach to the left of the hotel (as you look at the beach) On Wednesdays it is very busy because of the market but on other days you rarely see anyone that isn't a local.

If you want a change and haven't got a car, hire one of the hotel bikes and take the beach road to the right. There is a very pretty village along there (further than the walk to Nea Moudania and you will have to take the bike over the sand for a short distance, but worth visiting). I only went on our very last day and wished I had found it before. It is very quiet in comparison to Nea Moudania.

Pam
so17
February 23, 2008 03:33PM
Hi, I have booked a holiday at the Gerakina Beach Hotel. I am 20 years old and am going with my boyfriend. Does anyone know what the hotel is like? And what sort of excursions there are? ie. boat trips, water parks, days out etc.
Thankyou,
Sophie
Vivian
April 02, 2008 05:01PM
Hi,

I will be staying in nea moudania four three weeks in April (coming up soon). I would like to know if there are any free wi fi locations in the cafes or near the beach.
Thanks Vivian
andra
July 06, 2008 09:09PM
hello girls!i want to ask you about pallini beach hotel in halkidiki and about shopping where should i go! i would be grateful for any tips u give me
Tanya
Halkidiki and nearby please help me!
May 16, 2009 08:02AM
Hi,
I'm going with my mum and my sister to Halkidiki in June. I would like to know wich are the best beaches (not only in Halkidiki) and good tavernas where you can eat good and cheap...
wich trips are to do when you go there?are there any islands nearby wich are worth seeing?

please let me know 'cause I'm really intrested seeing lovely places!!

thank you,
Tanya
Tanya
May 18, 2009 04:11PM
Is Nea Moudania any near to the Royal Kostas Apartments, Halkidiki?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login