Can you recommend anywhere?

Posted by Carole 
May 15, 2008 10:58AM
Hi

I'm hoping to go to Halkidiki on my own in June. I'm a 44 yr old female.

I went to Hanioti with my teenage son last year and we had a great time. Hanioti is beautiful but I would like to try one of the other resorts. I'm just going to chill out, eat some good food and drink plenty of good wine and hopefully make some new friends.
Can anyone recommend a resort and accommodation. I prefer small family run apartments to the big hotels.

Cheers, Carole
Re: Can you recommend anywhere?
May 15, 2008 11:26AM
Perhaps try Kriopigi? Nice little village, set on main road with a village square with a good taverna, Anthoulas. Also lots of tourist type places to eat, as well as Sweet Coffee Shop selling great crepes, home made pizza, salads etc. Casablanca bar for the odd bacon sandwich if you are missing them, and of course a good atmosphere to have a few drinks and chat to Debbie (Welsh) and her husband Tony (Greek).

Good hotel is Alkion. It is a small hotel set in lovely gardens with a pool. Great views over the sea, air conditioning and pool bar.

Or if you fancy an apartment, try emailing Debbie at the Casablanca, there is an apartment over the bar which is totally soundproofed from the bar. You would be at centre of village then for everything.

Kriopigi is more laid back than Hanioti, and less touristy as in shops etc. But it has plenty of places to eat and drink and is only a five minute taxi ride away from Hanioti or Kallithea if you fancy a change.

We like Siviris on the other side, but it is mainly German occupied nowadays. We stayed at the Argo Hotel which was brilliant, five mins walk from lovely sandy beach, but full of Germans, which was not a problem but they did not speak any English nor we any German ! Bar is run by lovely Greek woman who speaks perfect English. Siviris had a bad flood last September down the main road, so all the trees have been cut back, which takes a bit of the charm away. But go down to the jetty and look to your right for the tourist sandy beach, and to your left for a long thin stretch of sand which is usually fairly free of people til July. Walk even further round the corner and find two bays which are almost unoccupied, again til July.

There are apartments in NEa Skioni which is a typical Greek fishing village, that has only just started to get foreign tourists. Mainly Greeks there, but most people speak English and it is a nice location.

We used to stay at Pallini Beach when we did not live here most of the time, which is a big hotel but it has a lovely beach and gardens and you can chill out there on a gorgeous sandy beach.

We rent our house in Mola Kaliva, but you would need transport unlessyou wanted a real chill out as it is a very isolated village with only one bar, two tavernas, one ouzerie and two small supermarkets! Beach is shingle and pebbles, but on the plus side it is always quiet even in August and the sea is the cleanest and clearest about, probably due to lack of hotels this side.

Good luck.

Jane
May 15, 2008 11:36AM
Thanks Jane, that's a big help !
May 15, 2008 02:34PM
Hi Jane

Do you know the Sarantis apartments in Hanioti. This is about the only one I can find for the date I want to go.

Thanks, Carole
May 15, 2008 02:38PM
There are some family run rooms in polichrono , "Nemo cafe bar " only 14 rooms right on the sea front at the top end , we are there again in july , if you want any more info just ask
May 15, 2008 03:04PM
Hi David

Are they private or could I go through a tour operator ?

Cheers, Carole
May 15, 2008 05:47PM
Sorry Carole, I dont know anything about the hotels in Hanioti. We did see a lovely looking hotel the other day called Hotel Siviris. I was thinking of recommending that one to family and friends. Hanioti, although I have never stayed there, the Lesse Studios Hotel looks nice too.
John Richard Kirton
May 15, 2008 09:03PM
Hi
Try Georges Apartments Polychrono, small and friendly I stayed in them 2years ago liked the place that much I brought one. He has a website.

john
May 16, 2008 06:19AM
Carole Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi David
>
> Are they private or could I go through a tour
> operator ?
>
> Cheers, Carole

Hi Carole
They are now private , i have email ,phone number etc if you want ,they get booked up so cant say what rooms they have remaining .

As said really great family run place , we have been going there for years now, 1st went with Libra years ago , then private .
May 16, 2008 06:34AM
Carole

Try Polichrono, its a laid back resort, plenty of restaurants, good beach. Summer Dream Hotel is a small famiy run hotel, AC, swimming pool, good sized rooms. Check out their website.

Ian
LIsa MacDonald
May 16, 2008 08:03AM
Carole,

No experience of Sarantis myelf although I have read some good reviews and also some very bad ones.

I think Polychrono would definitely be the place for you, its quieter than Hanioti but still a fantastic place, and you are close to Hanioti if you fancied a change of scene.

Have a great holiday.

I'm back to Hanioti myself in September again and have already booked up for next year as well!
May 16, 2008 10:40AM
Thanks everyone.

Polychrono seems the place but I'm having difficulty getting a holiday there. There's loads if there's more than one going but I'm finding that singles are definately not catered for. I could probably do it myself but being the first time I have been on holiday on my own I prefer to go on a package.

I've also read good and bad reviews for the Sarantis so I think I might just have to go for it.

I hope you all have great holidays and those of you who are living there I'm really jealous !!!

Carole x
May 16, 2008 11:08AM
Carole

Yes its difficult to fimd any companies that will take singles. I was looking a coupl,e of months ago and got a pretty good quote from Manos for single accommodation in Polichrono.

Last couple of years I've booked separate flights and hotel andit all worked out ok. One benefit I found was that they fly every day of the week so took the opportunity of avoiding Thursdays, that when all the charter flights seem to arrive and its chaos at the airport.

Another benefit is that you don't have to stick to one or two weeks, for example I'm off there on 1st June for 5 nights. Also the hotel I recommended, Summer Dream, picks you up and takes you back to the airport which is included in their price. This saves around 160/180 euros on a taxi.

Anyway hope you find something and get to Polichrono, its a great place for a chilling out relaxing break.

Regards.

Ian
May 17, 2008 06:22AM
Nemos web

[www.nemo.gr]
May 17, 2008 06:36PM
Thet aeollis in Pefkohori is a nice family run hotel about 50 mtrs from the beach.I'm not sure what travel agency uses it.
May 18, 2008 11:40AM
Hi

I've booked for the Sarantis apartments in Hanioti, it was the only one I could get for the date I wanted.

Carole x
May 25, 2008 03:00PM
Hi Carole, My Wife and I have just returned from Pefkohori and i can't comment on this resort enough, it is absolutely great if you just want to chill-out, drink excellent wine and eat good food, as this resort is perfect for it.
Visit "Captain's Fish & Grill Restaurant" on the main road opposite "Maxims" another good eaterie, Petros and his family are experts in what they do - Food, Service, Value for money and a warm welcome is guaranteed. Please also try the nearby Bakeries as they are fantastic! (don't worry about the calories though).
If you want to stay in a Hotel that is family run, clean and friendly, central to all the local amenities shops, supermarkets, bars & restaurants, beach ( 2 mins walk!) the the Hotel Diana is very recommended, (we have stayed here twice) the owner "Billy" is great, he is Greek but speaks very good English, he is very laid back,friendly and helpful.
The tour operator for this hotel are Thomson's.
Hope you enjoy your stay.
May 25, 2008 03:32PM
We have been coming 30 years, have never stayed at the Diana hotel but chanced upon it one year for cocktails. We now rent a house here and we always go to see Billy at the Diana bar as he is such a friendly person and we have known him so long. We would always recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good location and friendly owner. Not sure if there is air con though, that may be the only downside, but there are fans to hire I believe.
June 03, 2008 07:36PM
Hi Jihn

we stayed at Georges 3 years ago. Been to Polichrono a few times and go independently. I take it it is George with the sunbeds.
I don't suppose you know if george's brother sold his apartments. he tried to sell us one last time we were there.
Thinking of going back this summer. Have you heard of Maria's apartments?
Hazel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login