Greek version
Greek

Deutsch version
Deutsch

HISTORY

Vourvourou
History
Location (Map)
Sightseeing
Beaches &
Photos
Accommodation
   


 

 

 

 

Known of since the 10th century the land of the Vourvourions (as it was called), was given to the Holy Monastery of Xenophon of Agion Oros. In the 1615, the people of Agios Nikolaos, owners of the land, gave it to the Holy Monastery of Simonos Petras.
At the end of the 18th century, because of internal problems the monastery deserted the area and the previous owners took control. At the end of the 19th century the monks of Simonos Petras, high - handedly sold the area to Russian monks who where driven away by the locals.

Vourvourou, Sithonia, Halkidiki, Greece

At the same time they asked for support of the Greek Consulate in Turkish controlled Thessaloniki. Ever since, the Russians have never shown interest and the people of Agios Nikolaos remain holders of the land to this day. 
During the 60's the teaching staff of the University of Thessaloniki, developed a holiday resort in Vourvourou, known nation - wide for its revolutionary design and respect for the natural surroundings. In 1974 excavation at the chapel of Panagia in Vourvourou, uncovered ruins of what is probably the remains of the monastery of Ieromnimon.

 


| Home | Back | Greek | Deutsch |