Getting there? Athens to Halk

Posted by Christina 
Christina
March 10, 2005 09:25PM
10 of us are travelling from Athens to Halkidiki in late May. The plan was to take a bus from Athens to Thessaloniki, rent a car, drive to Halkidiki. It will mean a scenic - but VERY LONG - day traveling.

I'm trying to think of other option. I checked with Aegean Air. We could fly to Thessaloniki for about 62Euros (plus taxes and fees). Then rent a car and drive to Halk.

Or we could try to arrange for a private transfer. Since there are 10 of us maybe we could find company that does that sort of thing. That would be perfect - we'd get the scenic ride, it would be faster than the bus and we could make stops when we want.

So two questions: Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on flights from Athens to Thessalonika? Any recommendations on a taxi or transfer service that could take 10 folks from Athens to Halk?

Thanks much!
sjs
Re: Getting there? Athens to Halk
March 11, 2005 07:44PM
Have you thought of using the train? It goes through some amazing scenery (Gorgopotomus) and is pretty quick now.
Christina
March 11, 2005 07:49PM
I love trains, but I heard the Greek trains were not so good. I dont remember where I read it, but I read that the trains were fast, but often unreliable because of delays. I also heard they were not air-conditioned.

Has the situation improved?
greeceishome
March 11, 2005 07:57PM
Yes. There are still slow trains but a few years back they introduced pretty decent ones. Air con, buffet and all mod cons!
Michael
March 11, 2005 10:38PM
Hi Christina
The train service is now very much better than it was! There are at least 6 services a day from Athens to Thessaloniki. The fare is an amazing E.15 or so a head (single - what you want, blood? LOL). The journey on the slow trains is 7 hrs or so, but the quick ones, just over 4 hrs. It would take a good driver, with knowledge of the roads at least 5 hrs to do the journey.
You doing my idea of a holiday - your seeing the place, not just a resort - enjoy!
best wishes
Michael
Christina
March 12, 2005 03:36PM
I love this board! Thank you! Train it is - cheap, fast, scenic - perfect. Is there train service all the way to Halk or would it be best to rent a car from Saloniki?
roy
March 12, 2005 09:06PM
The train only goes as far as Salonica so you will have to get a car there.Where are you going to end up
Christina
March 12, 2005 09:17PM
That works. We can take a bus or rent a car from Salonika. We are renting a villa in Neo Skioni.

Any idea where the train station is located? Hopefully not in downtown... What's the scene like there? Would it be wise to have transportation arranged from the train station in advance?
Michael
March 28, 2005 10:09PM
Hi Christina
The Railway Stn is the far side (that is, furthest away from) Halkidiki! It would be! Car hire is easily arranged in the city (and possibly cheaper than on resort - more competition). The city is NOT good to drive in unless you have no nerves at all - the Greeks haven't, for sure. You would, from a good firm, be likely to get, if you asked for, a guide car to show you out of the city on to the main rd to Halkidiki - SIGNPOSTED NEA MOUDANIA - NOT, NOT HALKIDIKI!!!!!!! Easy-peasy from there.
Drive passed Moudania to Kallithea (40 mins) Turn right at the (only) lights at a junction and continue for 1/2 hour or less to Skioni. Nice village, lovely harbour, good fishin' .....enjoy.
Michael

PS. Good 'ere, innit! LOL
Gigs
July 05, 2012 08:16PM
Christina
I love this board! Thank you! Train it is - cheap, fast, scenic - perfect. Is there train service all the way to Halk or would it be best to rent a car from Saloniki?

I need help

I'm planning to take my 8 year old son to greece.

I was pplanning 2 weeks in Rhodes crete or Corfu, but he wants to go on an adventure where we don't drive.

He wants to visit the Parthenon, and sample athens.....Olypiakos and panathanaikos if possible.

We have looked at Halkidiki in the north but want to know if there are trains that go direct to the Aegean Coast.

If we can break the holiday spend a day or 2 in Thessaloniki, before going to the beach up North.

My main aim is to show him the Greek culture his Spanish mother wants to exponge, but to do that we need an adventure.

Any tips
July 06, 2012 08:18PM
There is a rail service from Athens to Thessaloniki. So you`ll get to see some of the Greek countryside on the journey, it`s not fast, but it`s cheaper than flying ! Then you need to get a bus to the Kassandra Peninsula.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login