Snakes and repellant

Snakes and repellant

Posted by Jane 
Snakes and repellant
April 25, 2010 11:13AM
Right folks, this is our first time living more in the countryside than near the sea. We notice neighbours have Herpetex snake repellent jars outside their houses! Today we saw a small snake, not sure what it was. Our query is, is the Herpetex repellant jar safe to have if you have a dog. We don't want to poison or harm our dog, but we would prefer not to have snakes in the garden. Anyone who has more experience of this please can you get back to me.

Thanks a lot
Re: Snakes and repellant
April 25, 2010 07:13PM
Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you say they have snakes in Halkidiki,Thats it then Im not coming this year.......
April 25, 2010 08:05PM
yes they have snakes ! We have often seen the large grass type snakes, but today it was more likely an adder or viper, only a small one, but nevertheless a bit unnerving! I don't think there is much of a problem by the sea, don't worry, we have been coming 30 years and it is only that we are now renting a house about two miles from the sea up in the hills surrounded by olive groves which appears to attract different animal life. On the plus side we have seen a hoopoe bird and a golden oriel, huge lizards and loads of buzzards.
April 26, 2010 11:21AM
Hi Jane

I believe there is only one poiseness snake which is small with a red marking on its back. I have seen a larger snake but they are harmless, unless of course the sight of it gives you a heart attack lol.
There are also scorpions of course that mainly live in the tree bark. They can sting and may cause a nasty reaction. So be careful if your bringing in wood for the fire.
April 26, 2010 04:00PM
Hi Joanne, thanks for that. I spoke to several people today and there are apparently vipers and adders about. I bought two snake repellant jars that are not harmful for dogs, so all should be OK. Cross fingers. Already seen the scorpion when we arrived ! I worry more for my dog than me, lol.......
April 26, 2010 04:31PM
I dont like the sound of this snake thing, I have never really thought about snakes over there but I guess there must be, we stay on the beach side of the road at Kriopigi and there is a lot of green marshy bits on the way down to the beach so I bet there are some around there. I think Im going to have to investigate more into this.
April 27, 2010 03:14PM
Mr Steve, don't worry too much. We have been coming for 30 years and have seen the odd large grass snake crossing the road. We stayed in hotels for many years with huge gardens around and never saw any. We are on our third rental house and I think this time as we are a couple of miles away from the sea, and up in the olive groves, that is why we have seen some. And that is why neighbours have these snake repellant jars out. As I say I worry more about the dog, but when we did a bit of off roading the other day I did decline to walk over the woodland / olive grove area as I had flip flops on !

From what i have read, they do not generally attack, they would rather retreat. It is only if they are cornered. And if you stick to the road I can see no problems. Don't let it worry you too much. We are here for the whole summer so I wanted to make sure the dog is OK.
April 27, 2010 04:28PM
Hi Jane

Where abouts are you renting, I have googled the snakes in greece and there are certainly some about out there, I can put up with most things but snakes are one of my big phobia's, Im waiting for Sakis to get back online, he answers most of my questions I have on that area, But if what you said in your other post is right about his bereavement then our condolences go out to him and all the family from Steve and Anne and all who know him from Luton. We did see a snake last year up by the main road in the village but it had obviously met its match with a car as it was rather flat and curled up when it was run over, but not sure what type it was, more of a greeny colour so could of been a smallish grass snake.

Steve
Arengo
Hi, Just come back fom Sciathos where they had snake repelent in the garden and four cats to keep the snakes out. We did see one basking on the road in the sun. Three feet long!!! Just the one sighting though. What a fantastic island.
July 13, 2010 07:21PM
Jane
Right folks, this is our first time living more in the countryside than near the sea. We notice neighbours have Herpetex snake repellent jars outside their houses! Today we saw a small snake, not sure what it was. Our query is, is the Herpetex repellant jar safe to have if you have a dog. We don't want to poison or harm our dog, but we would prefer not to have snakes in the garden. Anyone who has more experience of this please can you get back to me.

Thanks a lot
Jsk124
September 13, 2012 08:47PM
I stick to products that are natural & organic around my yard to prevent any side effects or illnesses on my lawn, kids and my pets. I use a snake repellent from here http://www.drtsnatureproducts.com/store/snake-repellent that uses natural oils and has been very effective ridding of snakes in my yard. Also, make sure you have no wood piles or compost piles around your yard....those are great hiding and breeding grounds for snakes. Cleaning you yard of those and even grass clippings will prevent snakes hiding in your yard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login