Posted by steve 
steve
Re: fourka
November 27, 2004 01:19PM
lets paint and paint and paint motel then go in the bar lol
steph
November 29, 2004 03:44PM
Hi Cynthia - I have stayed in Everdiki apartments, the rooms are nice and clean with a little kitchen and nice bathroom. they all have windows and balconies overlooking the pool and the road - view is quite nice, close enough to town to walk to all shops and restaurants, maids clean daily and the apartment pool is nice and the staff are friendly too.would recommend this, they have quiz nights too and some times they have kareoke!!
bayl
January 20, 2005 06:25PM
steve you still paint and paint lol forget that just go to jimmy;s get lashed and spend all day on the beach got to get that tan remember . cos we no your excelerator man lol of the shopping channel ooooo yessssss the mythos dont forget the mythos happy days .
steve
January 22, 2005 12:09PM
o yessssssssssssssssss more beerrrrrrrrrr .what a tan iv got lol
Tracey & Nicky
January 24, 2005 08:54PM
Hi Steve,

My friends and myself are going to the same place as you did and would like to know if the beach near by has water sports and so on, or could you tell us a bit more about the apartments and local shops. We have gathered that Jimmy's is the place to go.

How is the beach?

Many thanks
steve
February 01, 2005 09:03PM
hi tracey and nicky .yes there are water sports and the beach is just brill .yes jimmys is a good night out all i can say is that it is brill place
you will love it there . go have a look at neo skioni just get a taxi there you love the beach there to . shops are good and bars are to good food at all the resterants

can you tell zaki that steve and marie will see him soon and tell him that bill is a malaka he no what i mean lol thanks
stef
Re: fourka part one
August 30, 2005 11:10PM
well just had one of the wort holidays of my life...went to fourka and the christina apartments...what can i say..where do i start...at he begining i think.
after arriving at 2am with 4 kids in tow i was more than a little stressed and tired...when i was shown to my "apartment"..i realised why there was no pics in the portland book or on the net...they are lets say "rustic"..witch i can live with..foreign country ..live as they do etc etc...well sorry no...sockets hanging from the wall..rotten sink unit that was very close to collapsing...mould in the showers...and just a general feeling of filth..this was upheld when the cleaners "cleaning" was to empty the toilet bin and sweep the floor,wo behold he who leaves anything on the floor as this results in a inablity to sweep the room...note i have 4 children so clothes/toys etc on the floor was an everyday event..thus resulting in unswept floors..then towels and sheets were only changed once a week...this was disaterous for a family of six...but we thought have to make the most of a bad job...beach is fantastic...not to overcrowded..and a nice feel to it... what was dissapointing was the lack of beach side activaties,well not a lack...there was none at all,unless you count the doughnut seller walking by... the pool we had the use off was part f he hotel australia..n altogether more civilised affair..what the owners didnt think to mention was that the bottom of the pool was lined with grouted gravel..witch without remorse shredded the skin of every newcomer to the pool giving the receipatent two or 3 days of hobbling pain.
steve
Re: fourka part two
August 30, 2005 11:28PM
night life..well the restaurants down in the square were very good..lots of choice and only had one bad meal in the two weeks ....the problems arise when you have eaten and you want a bar...you have to come back up to the australia for the famous jimmy's bar..well what its famous for i will never know...it was dead for the whole 2 weeks apart from the last night of my holiday when the englad match was on and they had a band aswell ...the chill out bar..this meant "nobody goes here" this was a shame as the aussie bar manager was a real nice guy...but who wants to sit in a bar on there own..this only left one other bar whitch wasn't really suited to kids.
SHOPS..ha ha ha....not many to choose from..2 jewellers 3 very outdated arcades..a book stall...and not much else....the supermarket was less than super and very overpriced...for instance a magazine..yes i know they cost more to ship etc..hence th higher price...but this was beyond a joke..the shop had the same mag in english and greek...greek version 3 euro...english version a whopping 12 euro...how why!!!!
PEOPLE..in the restaraunts and bars they were great...but we must realise they want your euro's..get on the street they are very arrogent iggnorant...and damb right horrible..there are no paths...so you have to dice with death with the local chav's in there crappy cars with 80,000 watt stereos,no right of way is in place other than "i'm greek move"..with 4 kids this was hard and nerve racking at times
steve
Re: fourka part three
August 30, 2005 11:36PM
all in all...let me some this up...if your holiday needs are get up got to beach..stay on beach till dinner time...go for a meal and then off to bed...this place cannot be beaten....if you want any more than this i'm affraid you will be struggling to fill the hours in the day..and a big no no for kids...there is no entertainment for kids full stop....the old mossy was a big problem aswell....i wanted to give this place a glowing report after reading all of your posts...but i can't it must have changed alot in the years since you started posting in here....or all you fit into the catagory of beach/food/sleep...i feel better now thats off my chest...please don't remove this post as it will be usefull to those who want a little more...each to there own i say...roll on next year smiling smiley
mandy
September 04, 2005 10:23AM
love fourka-have stayed in christina and litsa apartments. There is nothing to do at that end of Fourka-bliss! Just eat,drink,swim and sunbathe. It really isn't suitable for kids but great for adults who just want to chill for a couple of weeks. Yannis and Michael in the Chill out bar are always very friendly and welcoming and although it's never really packed out we always enjoy ourselves.There are water sports at the other end of the village for the fitter among you!!! The dogs are actually looked after and checked by a vet on a regular basis which is nice for us pooch loving brits!! Quite a few restaurants for a small village-we like Victoria-George is always entertaining!! We are going back in June next year for our 3rd visit and can't wait.
Terry
September 06, 2005 10:54PM
Hmm ....just booked for Fourka yesterday [depart 26/9/05] ....as a "no kids-40+" couple we're intending using it as a base for touring the local area in a hire car or large bike during the day, coolin' off for the last hour or so in the pool and just chillin' out & winding down over a meal and a good few beers in the evening,not into loud music bars ....just a quiet relaxed atmosphere! ......We're usually used to the Greek Islands [done most of the large ones] so we're a little apprehensive 'bout this being the Mainland. Evridiki apts? any comments anyone?
Tel & Lin.
BlueAzure
Aristotelis Studios...
September 08, 2005 03:43PM
Just come back from Fourka, with my wife, and we have had the worst holiday ever! The big reason was the Aristotelis studios. We are both early 30's, and wanted a quiet, cheaper beach style holiday. Having booked all of our breaks via Thomson over the last few years we let ourselves be swayed by the girl in the shop towards Halkidiki, and booked via Thomsons pricebreakers deals. All I can say without writing a best seller is that you dont go there. At the moment of writing this they have lost their contract with Thomson next year. They have given up. Fact. The staff and management are rude, unhelpful and made us feel like imposing visitors. There is a huge building site opposite that noone told us about, that starts at 7 every day. Last night they started a fire, burned a tyre and sodded off for tea leaving us gagging on black smoke as we sat around the pool. The site is massive, and once finished Im sure the Aristotelis will be sold, flattened and we can all go back and dance on the ashes. The guy who owns the Aristotelis, I swear I thought he was the odd job guy, but no, he turns out to be the millionaire family brither who owns the the place! Oh, and a air conditioning business, and a bathroom centre. So thats the reason we have proper air con in the rooms... at a rate of 70 Euro for 2 weeks! Same reason that the bathroom needs to be ripped out and replaced, same reason he's lost his Thomson 3 year contract... He doesnt want to part with his money... funny that his bar is one of the most expensive in town...You do the math! Fourka itself is very quiet, and having spoken with town folk can tell you that they have 3 months per year to make a season. June, July and August time will be very busy (80% greek) and after that its tumbleweed central. Eating and drinking can be expensive thanks to the Euro (£2+ per pint - £7+ for a basic meal) unless you get savvy and eat at the 24hr kebab shops etc. Beach is very pricey (£4.50 for a ham cob and £4 for a bottle of beer at the chill-out!). If youre considering it, I wouldnt. Really. Its nowt to look at and although typically 'Greek' is much of a muchness!
BlueAzure
Re: Aristotelis Studios...
September 08, 2005 04:01PM
...The saddest thing, even thought the town was quiet and the euro has hit hard, was last night. After spending 2 weeks and making friends in town via restaurants etc and shaking hands and wishing everyone all the best and likewise we all sat around the smokey pool and waited for the coach to come and collect us and when it arrived the driver got out, motioned to us and we dragged our cases across the pool area, down the ramp and walked onto the coach, and as other holiday makers follwed us and waved us goodbye, we watched as the staff and 'Sati' the proprietor stood behind the bar area motionless. No goodbyes, no safe journey... nowt. Not a peep.

It was definatley something that made everyone on the coach grumble. It was something that cemented our holiday. We felt like walking euro signs. An open wallet that once emptied gets thrown aside.

Dont go... Dont line the pocket of this awful little zenophobic shite.
You have been warned!
Jane
September 08, 2005 05:29PM
It is such a pity this is your first taste of Halkidiki. We have been going 25+ years, and really there are some super places and even more super Greek people about. We are probably lucky in that we have known lots of them for years. But our best friends in Kriopigi we have only known since we lived over there for three summers from 1999 - 2001. We still go and we visit them and their family, we went to their wedding and we text and phone each other constantly.

I personally dont like Fourka, but from what you describe this really is not a typical Greek welcome (or not as the case may be !). Usually apart from a few odd hotels which happens anywhere, you get a fantastic welcome.

Also the prices, it seems you were in a particularly rip off area. Generally we found Amstel at 1.5 Euros a pint, 2 euros max which is well below UK. Also food can be extremely good value (not as cheap as a few years ago before the dreaded Euro) at tavernas and restaurants frequented by the Greeks. The tourist type ones are the ones to avoid. But I suppose you have to be in the know to find the local type ones.

I hope you may give Halkidiki another try sometime, but do go onto this site and ask advice on where to go. As you can see from us visiting for so long, we are not youngsters. There are many beautiful resorts in Halkidiki, either busy or quiet, with many many nice Greek people about. Try Skioni, Kriopigi, Paliori. Even Hanioti is quite nice although it is a bit on the busy side for us - having said that, lots of nice cheap eateries there, and nice people.

So sorry your first trip was such a dissappointment.
Jane
Jane
September 08, 2005 05:29PM
It is such a pity this is your first taste of Halkidiki. We have been going 25+ years, and really there are some super places and even more super Greek people about. We are probably lucky in that we have known lots of them for years. But our best friends in Kriopigi we have only known since we lived over there for three summers from 1999 - 2001. We still go and we visit them and their family, we went to their wedding and we text and phone each other constantly.

I personally dont like Fourka, but from what you describe this really is not a typical Greek welcome (or not as the case may be !). Usually apart from a few odd hotels which happens anywhere, you get a fantastic welcome.

Also the prices, it seems you were in a particularly rip off area. Generally we found Amstel at 1.5 Euros a pint, 2 euros max which is well below UK. Also food can be extremely good value (not as cheap as a few years ago before the dreaded Euro) at tavernas and restaurants frequented by the Greeks. The tourist type ones are the ones to avoid. But I suppose you have to be in the know to find the local type ones.

I hope you may give Halkidiki another try sometime, but do go onto this site and ask advice on where to go. As you can see from us visiting for so long, we are not youngsters. There are many beautiful resorts in Halkidiki, either busy or quiet, with many many nice Greek people about. Try Skioni, Kriopigi, Paliori. Even Hanioti is quite nice although it is a bit on the busy side for us - having said that, lots of nice cheap eateries there, and nice people.

So sorry your first trip was such a dissappointment.
Jane
Terry
September 09, 2005 12:35AM
Hi Jane ....>I personally dont like Fourka< .....why? ....I've never been there but please tell me what to beware of.
Cheers
Tel&Lin
Jane
September 09, 2005 05:36AM
It is just a personal thing, so don't worry if you are booked there. To me it is a flat featureless village, thats all. It is one of the newer areas that was just a very small Greek village for many years. Apparently some people love it, the beach is very sandy and wide and the sea is fine.

It is just not a pretty village. Having said that we do go there sometimes for the best pizza about. We are not great pizza fans, and indeed we like to eat Greek food, but when we were there for 8 months a year we yearned for something like fast food pizza! Can't remember the places name just now, but it was super pizza, absolutely FULL of topping.

I have also heard there are some great accommodation places there, so please don't worry if you are booked there. Just get out and about and see the rest of the peninsula and you will see what I mean, there are much prettier and interestng places, and smaller bays and beaches about. If you drive down the peninsula from Fourka call in at Mola Kaliva, or anywhere just past and find little tracks down to beaches, mainly pebble but once in the sea, sandy, and mostof all very quiet. We used to live about a mile from Skioni, which is a lovely fishing village, very Greek. If you go there try Anemone cafe on the front and say Martyn and Jane sent you. Nothing posh, just very friendly and you can use his sunbeds for free if you have a drink or two.

Enjoy
Jane
steve
September 12, 2005 09:22PM

hi all for those that are going to stay at the Aristotelis Studios cut paste this into your browser its their [ forum ] and web addy is Aristotelis . tk we are off to there this wednesday 14.9.05 . as for a post that sakie will not spend cash on his [Studios] well thats not right all the rooms are being revampted as you will see on there site.and as for thomson pulling out thats not right sakis had pulled out from them. why you ask well thay trying to get the greek hotel owners to drop there prices of there rooms.

thanks all steve @ marie
kevin
September 17, 2005 07:50AM
I can see why, blue azure has not put his name to this but I think I know who you are!!! and you have written a pack of lies. Could it be a vengance for the fact that you were caught drinking your own drinks round the pool!!! The price of drinks at the hotel is the cheapest in Halkidiki 2 euro for a large bottle of beer - 1-68 english but you were too tight to pay that and the price is the same at the chill out.
I dont know how you found out all the info about the owner but it is him who has refused to sign the contract because he is fed up with dealing with miserable English moaner cheap scates like you
kevin
September 17, 2005 08:07AM
I live in Fourka village and have done for many years, before that my wife and I had holidays in Fourka beach for many years. I am the barman at the Aristotelis and we usually wave the guests off and shake hands with everyone twice a week but sometimes you can not wait too see the back of some people, they are not euro signs they spend nothing, if they did they would know the actual price of drinks and not invent them to put off other people. Guests come back to the hotel year after year, some have been twice this year so that speaks for itself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login