Boats from Pefkochori/Kassandra to the Sporades??

Posted by llessica 
May 26, 2009 06:16PM
Hi!

Just read that in summer there is supposed to be a ferry, the so called Flying Dolphins boats??!, service between Pefkochori and Skopelos. Tried to google for details but havent found anything yet..Was wondering if anyone has information about this ferry service and if anyone has done this as a daytrip? Is it doable, recomendable and affordable?

Thankful for any tips and links!

Jessica
Re: Boats from Pefkochori/Kassandra to the Sporades??
May 26, 2009 07:22PM
I think that stopped some years ago !

Whilst staying in Halkidiki some years ago we went to Skopelos, but we had to travel down to Volos for the ferry. We managed to go to Chios from Thessaloniki. From Pefkochori I think you will just find it is the boats over to Sithonia.

Two years ago there was talk about a flying dolphin service from the newly extended harbour in Nea Skioni, but when we enquired last year we were told it was not happening now - we were told this year that things like this usually get promised before elections, but never come to fruition later !!!

There are some lovely trips out if you hire a car, for instance to Sithonia and beyond. These are doable in a day trip although it is a long day.

Jane
May 27, 2009 06:24AM
Could you please give me some information about the ferry from Pefkochori over to Sithonia. Have never been able to catch it at the right times, Where bo you book it and how often dos it cross eg. is it possable to do a day trip ? Advice needed please.
Tanya
May 27, 2009 07:38AM
Hi,
is Glarokavos far from Polichrono?
May 27, 2009 07:59AM
Alanapp, not too sure ! We have been many times to Pefkochori and last year we noticed two boats. We enquired with both and it seemed both went daily (think it is probably from mid June to end August) over to Sithonia, but you didn't get too long over there. The other one went off and stopped for swimming etc., going onto Sithonia again not for long. There used to be a timetable etc. printed and put at the end of the jetty near the beach but that disappeared long ago.

The other option last year was you could rent your own little "speed" (misnomer) boat. It was by the hour and was quite expensive for two people. For 4 it would be better. However, we do know that although the sea can look calm it can be pretty changeable and we didn't feel it was safe to go on our own with no prior boating experience. They will also take you over, but again it was expensive and they gave you an hour there, with the option of paying more by the hour to the boat skipper. All in all we decided to drive again and went over to Vourvourous, followed by lunch in Nea Marmaras. The drive is not not that long really and fairly enjoyable, and although we would love to go by boat the options just weren't suitable for us as we did not want a tourist type trip with swimming, we merely wanted to go over to Sithonia. The other thing is, Sithonia is so beautiful that a car trip allows you to see what you want and get about. Although Marmaras is very nice it is also nice to see some other villages and Vourvourous in particular has some beautiful beaches, really scenic.

Hope that helps a bit.

Jane
May 27, 2009 01:58PM
Hi Jane!

Thanks for the information! Read somewhere that there are also speed boats leaving from Nea Moudania to the Spordes?! Did you find Skopelos worth the trip? Or would you say the beaches in Sithonia are just as nice?

Jessica
petros
May 27, 2009 05:34PM
Hi Tanya,

Glarokavos is about 8 miles from polichrono , just after Pefkohori
May 27, 2009 05:35PM
Skopelos is lovely, a typical Greek island and very pretty. Gorgeous harbour area with all shops set on a hill at the back. As far as I can remember only one sandy beach though, as like most islands the beaches can be a bit pebbly or rocky. To be honest if you are only there a few weeks I would go for Sithonia, Vourvourous is lovely lots of coves and lovely scenic views, large boulders and rock outcrops at the edge of the beach. All the way round Sithonia you can stop at any beach and they are generally all nice (obviously I have not tried them all yet !). Most of the camping places have taken the best beaches, but I think we went to one recently called something like Mango Beach and it was for camping but there was loads of room and it was not packed at all. Lots of coves, you will see them as you drive round.

If you go to Vourvourous, just on the other side at the top of Sithonia it is easy to get to, and easy to get back this side and go down to Marmaras for lunch. We like these two places very much and for a nice day out they are perfect.

Have a great time.

Jane
May 27, 2009 06:14PM
Thanks Jane we driven around Sithonia many times well worth the trip, the opposite side (that faces Mount Athos) is very diffrent landscape. The only place in Halkidiki I have seen cattle. Have also been as far as Kav'alla very picturest landscape. Have also seen the boats come over to jetty in Pefkochori but never managed to sort a trip over there, not so keen on organised trips. Anyone who drives that to Sithonia must try the fresh fruit and veg. stalls by the road side best you will ever get. Just over 3 weeks and we will be there, thanks for the info Alan.
May 27, 2009 07:31PM
Yes to the fruit and veg stalls, they are fantastic.

We saw some more cattle this year, on Kassandra somewhere but not sure where now !

Not been to Kavala, but been to Mount Athos by road many years ago, before the road was actually worthy of the name ! At one point we wondered what to do as the road disappeared. Much better nowadays and we went almost all the way there last year but stopped at I think it was called Pirgadikia (always remember it as something like purgatory, reminds me of 20 years ago when we went with my mother in law and we could not find out way out of this place, it seemed hours before we got going and I was quite panicky at the time, I thought we would be going round in circles for the rest of our lives, haha)
May 28, 2009 05:22PM
hi again,

and thanks for all the good hints about sithonia! will skip skopelos and explore the beaches aroung vourvourou! have a great summer!

jessica
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login