Our Visit to Halkidiki, Kriopigi and all surrounding areas

Posted by Jane 
May 23, 2009 11:37AM
We have just returned from a shorter trip than usual while looking for accommodation for next year.

What we found is that eating out is getting increasingly expensive, and this is not at tourist places but at places where the Greeks eat and that are out of the way of most tourist villages. On average it was 35 euros for a meal for two consisting of about 4 or 5 plates, at least 2-3 of which were salad based.

You can still eat and drink cheaply at Kafenions, especially Pefkochori and Nea Skioni areas. For instance two mezes, bowl of chips !, bread, half a litre of wine and a large glass of tsipouro cost us the princely sum of 7 euros. But of course, for a more extensive menu choice, the price rises considerably. Giros still provide a cheap tasty meal at around 2.20 euros.

I thought frappe and coffee might have been reduced in the current climate, but it still averages 2.50 euros for a frappe (1.7 in kafenion). This of course may be a reflection of that fact that a lot of rich Eastern Europeans visit and have a considerable amount of money to spend, although some of the poorer ones shop at Lidl and then local places suffer.

We found a lovely place to rent, but are now wondering just how much it is going to cost us for 8 months over there just on the eating, drinking and paying our bills route. Obviously we can stay in more but then why go to Greece to stay in !

Friends also tell me that the same thing applies in Spain and they are now considering how long they can actually stay there or even visit for.

The euro exchange is a big problem, we got 1.14 via Nationwide card, but to be honest unless it recovers to around at least 1.35 we may not be able to afford long holidays there any more.

We are of course grateful to our friends Morfi and Sakis for letting us stay at their house free of charge, it really made a huge difference to our funds this year.

I do wish all businesses over there success during this difficult time, and I hope the euro recovers sufficiently for the loyal visitors to keep returning to Halkidiki for many years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login