meteora

meteora

Posted by SHOEY657 
meteora
April 28, 2009 12:32PM
Hi

Can anyone recommend a hotel in the meteora area? I would like to visit the monasteries so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Phil
Re: meteora
April 28, 2009 01:17PM
Hotel Odysseon - we stayed there last year whilst visiting Meteora for a few days. We stayed there because we were allowed to take our dog with us (initially they said on the balcony, but my dog doesnt do balconies ! then in the room was allowed) Last day saw us with masking tape going round the floor of the room as our labrador was moulting!!!! No problems encountered though.

To be honest, none of the hotels we saw around the area were fantastic, but this one was clean and very near to the drive to the monasteries. It had adequate parking facilities and the owners were friendly, there was a decent bar and breakfast was OK for the price.

The town of Kalambaki was OK, bit tourist driven as I suppose you would expect.

However our tours around the monasteries (we could not go in because of our dog unfortunately) were brilliant and we got some really good photos and managed several walk arounds near some of them. It was really beautiful. We would go again but next time would ask some friends to take care of our dog for a while so we could go inside some of them.

Well worth the trip, and this hotel was fine and fairly cheap.

Hope that helps.

Jane
April 28, 2009 02:26PM
thanks Jane i will send them an e-mail, i did find loads of hotels but it is always best to have recomendations meteora looks brill, can't wait.

thanks

Phil
April 29, 2009 07:17PM
Jane

Did you find it was best to book the hotel well in advance or a couple of days before as i am not sure on the days we want to visit.

thanks

Phil
April 30, 2009 07:30AM
Hi, depends on when you want to go I suppose. We booked about 2 weeks in advance for end of June. I seem to remember I phoned to book (to make sure dog was inside the room with us) and I didn't have to pay until we checked out. I think a lot of people looking round were actually on coach tours and the like and were heading back to their holiday hotels.

By the way, and we should know better after driving the Igoumenitsa/Halk route nine times - google maps told us to head towards Igou, then there were no signs, we ended up almost at Igou and phoned hotel to be told we had another 3 hour drive back over the mountains ! Big mistake. You need to head towards Patras and that way is quite quick and easy as we headed back that way. Good job we were staying overnight that's all I can say !!

We have now found a GPS add on which includes Greece, of sorts! It annoys me to see all the countries around Greece on GPS but Greece for some reason is so hard to find, and is certainly not included in our in-car system.

So get a good GPS if you can, or a good map and don't rely on road signs as you must know too that they dissappear at the most arkward of times in Greece........
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login