Hanioti Beach - Sea Urchins?

Posted by Miss Sunshine 
March 25, 2009 03:33PM
Hello,

My boyfriend and I are booked to go to Hanioti in July for 2 weeks. I have been reading up on things to do etc, and I have read that there are loads of sea urchins in the sea, even in the shallow parts. Does anyone know if this is true?? Hope not! :-(

Thanks!
Re: Hanioti Beach - Sea Urchins?
March 25, 2009 04:13PM
Hi,
Sea urchins can be found only on rocky bottom. So if you are afraid of sea urchins stay on sandy areas.
By the way, if you find sea urchins then be sure that waters are 100% clear (unpolluted).

------------
Nikos
Forum Admin
nikos at halkidiki.com
Louise
March 26, 2009 11:22AM
Sea Urchins!!! do these harm you? i read something about this the other day and just passed it off. - should i be worried???

Louise x
March 26, 2009 11:50AM
I think they can harm you! That's why I'm worried! :-(
March 26, 2009 12:43PM
Sea Urchins are prickly. So yes they will hurt you. They cling to rocks. So avoid the rocks, wear shoes in the sea, stick to the sandy areas or stick to the swimming pool, you'll be fine.
Carolinus
March 26, 2009 12:45PM
You do get some sea urchins in Halkidiki - they are dark brown / black so pretty easy to see. They only live on the rocks under the water so avoid the rocky areas and you will be fine, they cannot attach themselves to the sand.

If you are in a stoney area just look down (the water is crystal clear) and if you see a dark circle then avoid it!

They are round & spikey (like a mini porcupine) and the spikes can break off in your feet if you tread on them. It is very painful but not life threatening or hospital-worthy. You can often just pull the spikes out yourself or go to the local doctor who can do it for you.

I have been on holiday to Halkidiki every summer for the last 6 years plus I worked out there for 3 summers in the early 1990s and I have NEVER trodden on one so don't worry too much about it....
March 26, 2009 01:48PM
Thanks for the replies. You have put my mind at rest a little. I will just try and avoid the rocky areas!

Thanks again! :-)
March 26, 2009 02:58PM
We lived on the other side in Mola Kaliva, and I can vouch that the water was brilliantly clear and clean, but because it was pebbly and a bit rocky there were some sea urchins. I just wore Crocs in the sea, and you can buy cheap Croc lookalikes locally in Hanioti and other resorts.
April 06, 2009 10:50PM
Helllllllloooooooooooooooooo Jane xxxxxxxx
April 07, 2009 02:37PM
Hi Jeff, when are you going to go over to Halk then, next year? And why no more after that? Sorry, being nosey.

We may be over there next year so we might eventually get to meet you and your wife, not forgetting the sprog !

Have a good summer.

Jane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login