Weather

Weather

Posted by Miss Sunshine 
Weather
February 17, 2009 12:50PM
Hello,

Could those of you have have been to Halkidiki, Hanioti in particular, comment on what the weather/temperature was like? I'm wanting to go in July so hopefully some of you will have been during July! Does it get cold at night during the summer?

Slightly worried that it won't be as hot as I'm used to! I know it's not summer yet but had a look on weather and it says it's 7 degrees right now compared with 17 degrees on some of the Greek Islands! sad smiley

Many Thanks!
Re: Weather
February 17, 2009 01:12PM
Do not worry it is hot in july often well over 30 c, it is still very warm at night. I always yake a pair of jeans but have never worn them in july or august, I never learn. Just go and enjoy yourself, I bet you will return very soon. We all do this what helps keep this site so popular.
Carolinus
February 17, 2009 03:20PM
Don't worry - in July it will be scorchio!

It is colder than a lot of the islands in the winter as it is so much further north (and Crete is as far south as you can go in Greece) but it all levels out in the height of summer.

I was there early July last year (and will be the same this year) and it was roasting - high 30s. It was also very warm in the evenings, no cardis or jumpers required.
February 17, 2009 03:24PM
Thank you! That has put my mind at rest. I'd just read a number of reviews where people had said they'd had bad weather. They hadn't said which month they were there so I wasn't sure what to think!
Carolinus
February 17, 2009 03:38PM
It can be bad early & late season (May & Sept) due to being so far north, but July & August are pretty much guaranteed sunshine.

It does occasionally rain, but it is usually at night, and if you are unlucky enough to get a storm it rarely lasts more than a day. Weather everywhere nowadays is a bit of a gamble, but July & August are normally gorgeous weather - last year was even verging on too hot...!!
February 17, 2009 03:45PM
Thanks Carolinus!

Have you stayed in or been to Hanioti? If so, what's the beach like there? Sandy or rocky? Someone said you need to wear beach shoes to go in the sea...!! confused smiley
Carolinus
February 17, 2009 03:52PM
I do know Hanioti quite well, there is a very long beach, parts of which are sandy and parts are pebbly. Most of the beaches in Halkidiki ae like that, but if you walk along a bit, rather than just plonking yourself down in the middle of the beach you will find sandier areas.

I NEVER wear shoes into the sea, the people who have said that must have gone to a stoney part of the beach and not realised that if they walked 5 mins in either direction they would get perfect sand! And it certainly isn't rocky!

It's a lovely village, as others have said, the main tourists are couples and families, but there are still quite a lot of young there, with a good selection of lively bars. The nightlife scene isn't really clubbing / dance orientated, more chilling out with cocktails. 'Sunshine' is a lively bar just off the square that attracts the younger crowd - they have dance music and fish bowl cocktails if that is your scene....
Lauren
March 04, 2009 10:07PM
Hey everyone....just wondering if anyone can help with the weather in june? me and my boyfriend both 21 are going 4 2weeks 8th-22nd this site has really helped us 2 find alot out about Hanioti and the hotel bella grecia now were just wondering about the weather temp etc? we were booked 2 go middle of july however my boyfriends graduation was right in the middle of our holiday so we had 2 move 2 june, if anyone can help?
March 04, 2009 10:24PM
June wil be lovely Lauren. I personally would find July and August too hot for me. I certainly would not wory about gettinggood temps at that time of the year thumbs up
Leanne
March 04, 2009 11:09PM
hey i wouldnt worry about the weather we went May and September last year and it was roasting and the peak season is even hotter (altho id watch out for the wasps! we went in may and saw none then back in sept an we saw lots!)
L x
c1403
March 25, 2009 11:59AM
Me and my boyf are going in May to Polychrono.
Hope it will be nice and warm, i went to pefkohori last year in august and it was far too hot for me.
prince
Weather
March 26, 2009 02:46PM
Hi everyone. Could you tell me something about the weather in september at Sarti? Im planning with my husband to spend a week there from 18 sept. and Im worried about the temperature how it would be.

Thank you in advanced,
prince
Sophie1404
June 22, 2009 12:37PM
Hi everyone,

I'm off to Halkidiki...thessaloniki... on Thursday. The weather forecast is saying heavy rain so far which doesn't look too good. Someone please tell me the weather forecast is wrong and it will be beautiful! We went in June last year and had nothing but 30 degree heat!!!
June 22, 2009 02:07PM
try looking at www.meteo.gr. It is available for a few days worth of forecasts in English. You need to hit the Makedonia, then Kassandra region. I have just looked at the forecast but it is currently being updated so only a few days worth to see. It does say rain on Thursday, but I shouldnt worry too much. If it rains it usually clear up quickly, and if you are unlucky enough to get a whole day of rain it doesnt usually go more than that.

Try checking the website out later when it has been updated.
chris1982
June 22, 2009 10:05PM
Yeah im flying out thursday ,and im just praying its going to be hot ,spent great deal of time and money on this 2 week holiday.one thing we just cant control *( pretty worried.
GemGem
June 23, 2009 06:21PM
We fly out on thursday as well, it says it will rain the entire time we are there, has anyone got any better news for me sad smiley

Gem
June 24, 2009 08:21AM
Hi Gemma

Just checked the forecast and it's looking better than yesterday. I'm sure it won't rain for all of your hols. I've been to Hanioti for the last two years and only had rain once. We fly out on Thursday too. Where are you going from?

Carole
GemGem
June 24, 2009 08:41AM
Hi Carole,

Thats good to hear, i'm just keeping my fingers crossed on the weather front. We fly from Manchester...getting quite excited now. We're stopping in Pefkohori, never been to Greece before so its a bit of an unknown. Are you stopping in Hanioti Carole?

Gemma
June 24, 2009 09:37AM
Hi Gemma

We're going frm Manchester too, 07:50 flight. I'm going with my 16 yr old son and his mate. This is my 3rd. time to Hanioti. You'll love it, haven't been to Pefkohori but if you look at some of the threads on here you'll see that everyone who's been loves it. Halkidiki casts a spell on ppl and you'll want to go back I'm sure. Only ever been for a week but this time going for 2 so intend to do some exploring.

Have a brill time.

Carole x
GemGem
June 24, 2009 09:59AM
Hi Carole,

Hey small world eh, thats the same flight time as us. I'm going with my boyfriend, if u do see us at the airport give us a shout, i've got long dark hair and my boyfriend looks a bit like owen wilson lol. Yeah i've been looking though the threads and people have a lot of good things to say about Pefkohori so am really looking forward to it, i'll keep my fingers crossed for the weather for both of us.

If i dont see u at the airport have a lovely holiday

Gemma x
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login