Litter

Litter

Posted by Jane 
Litter
May 02, 2008 08:33AM
I would like to reiterate what Sakis from the Akropolis has said. Please take your litter home with you, or put in one of the very numerous bins. I know most of you are only on a short holiday and not here long term, but every bit of litter that is put in the proper place makes it nicer for those who visit after you.

I clean "my" bit of beach every day. I don't think I should have to, but then again it keeps it nice for me and other people.

Have a great summer holiday
Re: Litter
May 05, 2008 03:54PM
Myself and all the divers at odyssey dive club clean the beach above and below water whenever we dive.We find that the biggest problem as everywhere is the plastic.It kills all kinds of wild life.Take it home and put it in a bin that goes not just for holiday makers but for those that live here
May 05, 2008 04:20PM
I heard today from locals that they think major culprits are fishermen. I couldnt understand why every day on our beach there are plastic bottles and old nets. They say fishermen just shove them overboard. Not sure if it is true, but we need to get the message across.

I also clean our road daily - ouzo bottles, plastic cups, cigarette packets - and those don't come from the fishermen.

What annoys me most is that the bins are very numerous and in most cases would take only a few steps rather than just dumping it on the roadside.

If everybody who lives here, and everybody who holidays here, just take a bit of time to pick up a few bits of litter a day as well as putting their own rubbish in the bin, the result could be marvellous.
May 20, 2008 09:59AM
AS this topic does not seem to generate much interest, I am bringing it to the top again!

Only today I found that the local bar and supermarket have cleared the beach outside their premises. It looks lovely. However, they have cleared all the bottles and crap to just round the corner outside someone elses apartments !

Sometime soon the Greeks have got to start caring about their country. I do not mind clearing up outside my property, but I am not willing to keep walking for miles along the beach clearing up after others, only for it to be the same a couple of days later.

So, the message is, everyone, Greeks included, please take some pride in the lovely coastline and countryside and stop littering it up.
May 21, 2008 10:20AM
It does seem that they do keep their own patch clean and tidy but are not bothered about anywhere else
May 21, 2008 02:54PM
I know ! Only the other day some Greeks came to look round an apartment next to ours and mentioned to the landlord that our dog, who was in the sea at the time, would put fleas in the sea ! Nothing mentioned of course of the litter you come across every few hundred yards. Apart from the fact my dog does not have fleas, it shows their concerns to be somewhat fickle.

Sometimes, and I say this with regret as my fathers family originated from Chios, I feel they need to get a grip on what really matters. But then if they don't care what happens outside their property, they are hardly likely to care about the sealife and dangers of plastic etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login