Help - we're new!!!

Help - we're new!!!

Posted by erdington three 
Help - we're new!!!
October 29, 2007 08:22PM
Hello there!

We are new to the forum and need some honest advice! We have been going to Thassos for our holidays for the last 10 years or so and now wanted to try somewhere different. Our daughter is 7years old and now needs more to keep her entertained!!!! Us oldies are late 30's - so not quite past it yet!

We have been looking at Hanioti and wondered if it was for us????? We need somewhere pretty, Greek!, no McDonalds/Burger King, no lager louts (except for my better half LOL) /hen parties etc. Really, somewhere with good beaches, decent and reasonably priced food/drink, with some form of entertainment of a night time - nowhere too quiet - is Halkidiki for us????

Any help or information would be much appreciated!

We look forward to hearing from you all soon - tar very much smiling smiley
Re: Help - we're new!!!
October 30, 2007 05:48AM
HI, Hanioti is really a tourist town. In winter there is nothing else there. Lots of shops, places to eat, things for kids to do and a reasonable beach. But for us oldies (50) wo have been coming 30 years it has never appealed as a place to stay. We visit it for a night of watching people while having a dirnk in one of the many bars.

Halkidiki is not really a lager lout destination thank goodness. In September you get some over from Serbia but even then it doesnt qualify in that status.

Somewhere quiet, but not too quiet. Greek and good beaches eh. Well, I would consider Athitos, but it is on a steep hill and you have to walk down to the beach. Pretty old town, that has been restored. So it all looks new, but it is nice.

Siviris, a nice little town which is busy enough from June onwards. Nice beach (not the main one, the one the other side of the village where nobody goes and you can walk round a corner to almost deserted bays). Quite a few places to eat and drink, a little jetty to sit on. A small arcade for children, but most stay on the beach.

NeaSkioni is a nice Greek town, just next to where we live. It is not touristy at all, probably only one tourist type shop. Small supermarkets, a nice bar, beach is not too bad either. Childrens swings etc on beach. It is not posh ! but is authentic. It currently is undergoing work in the harbour (it is a harbour town) to make a boat station for dolphins to go over to Thessaloniki. That is at the far end but it does mean there is a lot of work and lorries going through, but that could be finished next year? We hope so, we want to use the dolphins.

This is all on Kassandra. If you want Halkidiki as it used to be when we first came, go to Sithonia. Some lovely places. Beautiful beaches but everything is very much far apart so it can get isolated. I would try somewhere near Marmaras which is a busy little town with shops, restuarants, tavernas etc. It is a nice town set on the seaside. There are some nice hotels at Porto Carras, bit on the pricey side. Sure there must be other small ones nearby. We love Vourvourous just on the other side of the peninsula and I would imagine in summer it is quite busy. Gorgeous beaches, little coves, supermarkets and tavernas. We would stay there for two weeks, but we live here six months, so we would find it a bit isolated. Gorgeous for a holiday though.

There is Paliori on Kassandra. Nice little old town but nothing to do for kids.

You know, much as I love Halkidiki as we have been coming here for yonks, if I were you after Thassos I would probably try Sithonia or an island like Skopelos. Skopelos is lovely, set around a harbour. A couple of nice beaches, lots of scenerey and really Greek style.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jane
October 30, 2007 10:25AM
Hi...

The Kassandra peninsula (island) is a perfect place for you, there is a great diversity of places to stay from Nea Potidea in the north right down to Paliouri in the south , the best side of Kassandra is the East as the water is cleaner (the west has Thessaloniki port & Nea Moudania port at tyhe top so you might get oil spillage etc, also there are no rivers running into the gulf on the east side
October 30, 2007 12:44PM
I would definitely recommend Hanioti to you, it is a wonderful holiday place, there are no lager louts but lots of nice places to eat and drink, my favourite restaurant was the Tropicana on the square.

The beach is lovely and the water very clear.

I found Hanioti as a whole to be very good value for money.

Its a great place, I went for a week this year but am going back for two next year, and the year after that as well!

Transfer time from the airport is between 1.5 - 2 hours depending on how many drop off's your coach makes.

A lot of the hotels do put some form of entertainment on on various evenings, anything from karaoke, discos, greek nights, to bingo and quizzes.

Can't recommend the place enough! And can't wait to go back!
October 30, 2007 01:42PM
Just a point, the west side has perfectly clean water. It is far enough away from the ports and has open sea to the mainland. It also has Sani beach that side, which is a blue flag beach. So don't think that the sea is dirty this side, it is NOT.

October 30, 2007 07:21PM
Hi -- my wife and I have been visiting Hanioti for 17 years and love it. No fake english type bars or lager louts - been there in every season from January (attended wedding of Greek friends with whom we stay) to October - season is really june to start sept, before and after these dates things are very quiet with not everything open. Some bars are not cheap !! look around -two proper UK type large new supermarkets in hanioti - good value / range .
In season there is a venue called fairytopia for kids with trampolines and inflatable etc to entertain kids - it has a sitting area for adults with a bar !!!! friendly staff. It is quite a cosmopolitan village with many bars and tavernas - -the square is the place to be seen at night (most of the villages do not have the same central square layout ) you can sit at a bar and watch people go by - the square has a fountain with lighting under the water changing colour - kids love it. The jacket potato shop is good for "picky" kids - no Macdonalds
it is well placed between two other popular villages - we walk along a tarmac beach road to pefkahori 30 mins stroll (not main road little traffic) - taxi is 6 euro . The other way goes to Polychrono a bit further 40 mins. Our Greek friends took us to a large new shopping centre near Thessaloniki (Mediterranean CosmosVillage) think you can get bus there - it has bars cafes and resteraunts set out like a village outside the indoor shopping arcade (huge) and we had the best quality Greek meal ever in a place there. We are going in June and I will return !!!
We are going on 19 June to celebrate our silver wedding with our friends Thanasis & Menia who own the Central Cafe on the square - cant wait !!!!
Steve & Sherrilyn (Cumbria)

October 31, 2007 07:20AM
I completely agree with Steve,Hanioti is the perfect place to go on holiday with children. We have two daughters 9 &12 and there is always plenty to do,we live here all year round and never struggle for things for the kidz to do,especially during the season.There is the Fairytopia,the beach and pool obviously,a few parks,1 just off the square heading to the beach and 1 near Billy's Bar.
If you want somewhere very good and cheap to eat for the little 1,there is Kostats's just down by the side of Love Street Sport's Bar,they're fantastic.You can get Souvlaki,Gyros if in pitta is only €2 each,Pizza,Cheeseburger (proper ones not Mc D's rubbish),or if you like you can even order chips,susage and beans,or whatever your daughter prefers they are very accommodating. Not to mention that you can get a 500ml bottle of Amstel for €1,or a 500ml Mythos for €1.30 the cheapest in town!!!! and Yanni will keep you entertained throughout your stay,they're lovely people and are always pleased to see you and greet you with a smile.Tropicana is also a favourite eating place of ours for a family meal.

You're also close to the big supermarket, Masoutis where you can go and buy everything you'll need even down to snorkelling gear,which I recommend as the fish can come right into shore especially the Tetras,and the sea is generally so calm its like a millpond,beautiful.You have the view of Sithonia and Mamaras,and on a clear day you can even see Mount Athos (of which there are regular boat trips to),Breathtaking.

You can walk into Polychrono,which is another fabulous village,and unlike Hanioti where all the bars etc are in or around the square,Polychrono is mainly set along the beach front a bit like Pefkohori,but not as busy,although you can walk into town where you'll find plenty of shops to wander round.If you do go to Polychrono I sincerely recommend a meal at Kleanthis,the food is fantastic,1 of our Greek friends who has a bar there,recommended it to us and now we can't stay away. If the Greeks eat there you know its good! Pity its closed for the winter.

Come to Halkidiki,I don't think you'll be disappointed!
November 06, 2007 02:52AM
Hi all

Thanks so much for all of your comments - it just reaffirmed what we thought and had seen from photos!!!

We are certainly looking for Summer 2008, its just finding somewhere to stay now flying from Birmingham! We have seen a few, so please any comments/recommendations would again be most helpful!
The list so far reads as: Vicky, Angelo, Cleopatra, Niriides Apartments. We prefer self-catering, it gives you more freedom - especially with a little one.

Again, thanks to you all and Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary Steve and Shemlyn smiling smiley

Bye for now
November 06, 2007 06:54AM
Hi

We have been to Hanioti for the past 6 yrs in a row and always stayed at the Vicky apartments, they are lovely family run establishment, where you will always get the very best of welcome. Nothing is to much trouble for the owners and they will do everything they can to ensure you have a lovely hoilday. We were recommended to stay at the Vicky and were told once you have been you will keep returning, and they were right. Many of the guest have been going there for the past ten years or more, which just goes to prove how lovely they are. The rooms are lovely, bright and airy. The pool area, reception/bar are also lovely and spotlessly clean. They are only a short stroll from the main square and the beach. We have also booked for August next year, along with all the people we met on our first visit.

There are many nice resturants in Hanioti one of our favourite is Erodios, this was also recommended to us on our first visit and we have been there every year since, the food is great, good value for money and the staff are really friendly. As previously mentioned there is plenty in Hanioti to keep your daughter entertained.

We have flown from Bristol the last 2 yrs, but previous to that we have flown from Birmingham - im sure you will have a fab holiday.
November 07, 2007 12:45PM
Erdington Three

Have you tried going into yoru local Thomas Cook and getting the Sunset brochure? They have listed this year (as opposed to Thomson) the Tropical Hotel which is where I stayed this year and have already booked up to go back to next year!

Its a fantastic block of apartments and is just literally across the road from one you were looking at, the Vicky. One thing to warn you about the Vicky, the pool is very small, the picture makes it look big but it is not. Other than that, I can't tell you much about these apartments as I was never in them.

The pool at the Tropical is much bigger, although very deep if you are not in the kids end! There are plenty of sunbeds and the apartments are well kitted out with what you would need on a self catering holiday. Its about a five min stroll to the main square and the bars and restaurants around it.

Hope this helps!
November 07, 2007 01:22PM
Hi Sian Berry

Thanks for that information - will take everything on board! It must be good if you keep going back smiling smiley

Fiagro - we have the Sunset Brochure and have looked at the Tropical too - it looks quite nice, especially the rooms. The only thing in the brochure which put me off was the comment about it being ideal for "young couples"! I guess in our mid 30's we dont class as young couples any more!!!

Your comments have been really helpful - will let you know what we decide!

Roll on the summer!
November 08, 2007 02:53AM

Hi there Erdington 3 - just thought I'd put in my tuppence worth in.

Firstly I have heard good things about both of these hotels. Yes the pool sizes are different but the way I see it you can use any pool in any hotel as long as you buy something the owners are usually ok, business is business.

Tropical is right next to the main road so I would be quite careful about which room you will be in, vicky is very friendly. Both hotels are 5min walk to centre of the village.

If you go on any trips definately recommend the pirate ship cruise. But dont do the Waterpark, its right by the airport and really not worth it.

Hanioti is a very friendly place, popular with the greeks from the city who descend most weekends and for the whole of August.

Hope this is a ll useful

Have a great time............Joanne

November 08, 2007 03:49AM
Hi all

I know it says in the brochure that the Tropical is for young couples but I went this year with my best friend (and we are both in our thirties) and next year am going with a friend again.

So its not just for young couples - don't worry!

As Joanne said above, Vicky is absolutely lovely and will welcome you to the Tropical, even if you are not staying there she will welcome you to the pool area and the bar for nights of fun!

Lisa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login