traditional taverna near Paliouri needed for wedding reception.

Posted by calypso2007 
October 16, 2007 12:31PM
hi
my mom is getting married next september 2008 and we are all stopping at the chrousso village hotel. she is looking for a family friendly traditional taverna where she can have her own reception with real greek food and atmos, the numbers arent too large probably 14 but 20 people tops (5 being children).
i read some where that on a monday Paliouri has greek dancing etc in the square? has anyone been to this and what are the restaurants like there?, we would be willing to travel further afield if necessary for the right place but mom is looking for the full on bazouki playing, dancing, plate smashing type do.
perferably in a lovely village setting or somewhere over looking the sea aka shirley valentine.
any suggestions please!

thanks in advance
cal
x
Re: traditional taverna near Paliouri needed for wedding reception.
October 17, 2007 02:19PM
Paliouri is quite small - I'd describe it as as close as you can get to a traditional Greek village on Halkidiki except perhaps Kassandrinho and old Fourka. It isn't on the sea, though. There are three or four Tavernas in the square, they look OK although I haven't tried them. Sorry, don't know anything about dancing on Mondays. I wouldn't bank on it, especially in September where things definately wind down, unless you know for sure it's on.

I'm sure there's somewhere in Hanioti where you can get the full Greek night works, the travel agencies certainly advertise - and there's Akropolis in Kriopigi which is a bit further away, I'm not sure when Sakis stops his Greek nights but if he reads this I'm sure he'll tell you.

I don't know anywhere in Pefkohori that does them.

Good luck.
October 17, 2007 02:42PM
It depends whether you want a traditional Greek style reception (which does not involve smashing plates!) or a tourist type one. Both would be lovely.

In that respect Paliori would be a traditional Greek style reception. Old style village and tavernas. We eat at Yiannikos which is very nice and on the square. However, there are two others, which are a bit more "sanitised"! (the toilets at Yiannikos are not the best). We have eaten at one of the other tavernas there but cannot remember the name. It was very nice. We are here til December this year, so if you want me to find out and get telephone numbers of the others I can do so for you. Let me know. Paliori is near to your hotel and is not a tourist town. Therefore do not expect anything glamourous or bright lights, just a nice basic little town with friendly and genuine people.

If you want a tourist type then Akropolis would be the ticket. Smashing of plates, Greek dancing and the like.

By the sea, there are a few nice hotels which would accommodate a Greek style reception, and probably provide dancing etc. Try the Aegean Melathron outside Kallithea, the Pallini Beach hotel next to the Aegean Melathron. These two hotels are situated next to the sea and beach and often cater for wedding receptions.

For a real Greek atmosphere taverna, then Thessaloniki has many traditional tavernas which regularly feature bouzouki playing and dancing, if not the plate smashing. Ouzo Melathron being one, in the centre of the city.

Reading your post again, probably something like the Akropolis would fit in with most of your needs, except being next to the sea.

Hope this helps.

October 17, 2007 06:57PM
hi thanks for your replies, it is quite hard to find info on Paliouri on the net, apart from saying it is a nice traditional village so a bit stumped lol
re the plate smashing, its not an essential requirement but thought a plate was smashed after the wedding for luck or something? did read it is a practice greeks now look upon with disdain and prefer to throw flowers instead, much the same as confetti over rice here which probably hurts lol
personally i could do without plates being thrown around especially if the babies decide to join in, dinner time might never be the same again lol
i have seen the place Akropolis so it is an option if it is still open at that time of year but thought there might be something a bit closer and less full of tourists getting peed up as wouldnt want it interfering with moms reception if end up with a load of rowdy tourists sat next to us all.
Paliouri to me sounds the best option if the food is good and not too over the top in price as it will be easier for us to get to from the hotel and if the children get tired, not too far to take them back.
what do you think would be good for a menu?
im not familiar with all the grrek dishes, ive tried my hand recently at stifado and pistachio (the greek lasagne lol, remember having it in Kefalonia and it was a fav for me!), my mom and her partner are mad on greek food though so im sure will be pleased with what ever the chef creates!
is there any photos of Paliouri on here, it would be nice to see the square etc.
i will have a word with my mom Jane and let her know the options and if she wants the tel no,s i will let you know, thats really kind of you to offer.
thanks
Cal
x
October 19, 2007 10:48AM
Dear Calypso 2007
-Congratulations on your forthcoming moms Wedding.

Dear Calypso's 2007 mom. Congratulations on your forthcoming Wedding.
If you are looking for a truly ā€˜Greekā€™ evening for your wedding reception venue, then the ā€˜Akropolisā€™ restaurant in Kriopigi will be ideal place for you.

-Our restaurant offers excellent food and service, which will make your wedding day that bit extra special. Established back in the early 80's, ā€˜Akropolisā€™ Restaurant in Kriopigi has continued to build on its profound and well deserved reputation ever since, attracting visitors from all over Halkidiki and Kassandra area. to sample its traditional Greek Night and its Greek cuisine.
Our menu is prepared to cover, special starters, grill dishes (Souvlaki, Gyros etc) special Greek oven dishes (Mousaka,Stifado etc) as well as a selection of vegetarian dishes, ONLY fresh and homemade ones. ā€˜Akropolisā€™ menu can be adapted to suit your taste.

-ā€˜Akropolisā€™ Restaurant, offers the ideal setting for your wedding reception and with our live Greek musicians, featuring the bouzouki, guitar and/or keyboard, Greek dancers and singers, dancing and singing traditional Greek ballads, folk songs, - they do can play also English and International music if you wish too- We can provide also fire works on request.
Children are more than welcome in 'Akropolis'. There is a separate childrenā€™s play area with Nintento and Playstation games, so that the young members of your party will have something to keep them occupied as well.

-ā€˜Akropolisā€™ Restaurant is centrally located in the heart of ā€˜Kassandra Peninsular at Kriopigi village, just 10 - 20 minutes from almost anywhere in greater Kassandra area and 10 minutes from both, Kassandra or Pallini town Hall

- We can arrange a prestige wedding car hire from 160.00 euro.( VW Beatle convertible, Peugeot 306 convertible, Audi TT, Mercedes Benz etc).

- We can arrange also for your special occasion, by providing a complete, cost effective and flexible chauffeur limousine driven hire service. A professional (English speaking) chauffeur driven limousine e.g. ( Lincoln - Town Car- 4600cc 8 persons (7 + driver) L = 7,35 m, from 650.00 euro. Smaller and Cheaper limousines with a professional chauffer are also available.
We can provide your guests also from our car hire company ā€˜Kriopigi Carsā€™ Rent a Car with hired cars ( prices start from 32.90 euro p/day as it is High season.). We can also arrange transportation for your guests from/to accommodation to Town Hall and to the restaurant with air-conditioned busses -(prices start from approximately 110.00 euro per bus, depended from where the pick up and drop off point is-. (max 50 passengers per bus).

-Your Wedding Day is one which you will remember for the rest of your life and from start to finish our friendly, professional and dedicated team, will be working with you, to ensure your reception is everything you wish for. -
You will be well looked after by the ā€˜Manolasā€™ Family and staff and made to feel so special on your wedding day.
- Once again Congratulations and Thank you for reading.
Waiting for your reply on: sales@kriopigi.net
Sakis Manolas
Manager of : The ā€˜Akropolisā€™ Restaurant and ā€˜Kriopigi Carsā€™ Rent A Car in Kriopigi
www.kriopigi.net

PS for Jane:
Thank you very much Jane for your kind Comments.
Sakis
October 22, 2007 08:32AM
I have eaten in the Tavernas in the square in Paliouri and the gianikos is great.It is a small family run taverna.We recently went to a christening there and had a great time
November 13, 2007 11:34AM
hi thanks for the replies
i have handed the info over to my mom so she will be in contact when she decides where she wants to go, think she is a bit shocked by all the wedding related paperwork at the moment!
x
August 07, 2008 01:42PM
well its nearly sorted out, having reception at sakis place, poor bloke..hope hes used to kids!
mams paper work is nearly done and they have a date 29th september!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ļ»æ