KILLER PLASTIC CARRIER BAGS.....

Posted by yorkshire lass 
July 22, 2007 05:04PM
In the seas of Greece, TURTLES swim as many species of wildlife.
And, in certain regions the greeks are highly protective of the TURTLES, when laying eggs are occuring.
However, when the TURTLES are in the sea the real danger is PLASTIC CARRIER BAGS.
These are the one of the biggest threats to both the TURTLES and many marine life.
The main food source of TURTLES is jellyfish.
When a plastic carrier bag is bobbing around on the surface of the sea, it can be mistaken to be a jellyfish.
Once this gets into the TURTLES mouth, it will then start to face a slow agonizing choking death, as it is unable to rid itself of the bag, because of how its throat is designed.
The bags can also entwine themselves around the face of the TURTLE as it swims through the sea, thus causing another slow painful suffocating death.

Congratulations to the folk of two english towns, in Devon and Yorkshire, who have seen this as a major problem to both the enviroment and wildlife, and banned the use of KILLER PLASTIC BAGS provided by shops.
Re: KILLER PLASTIC CARRIER BAGS.....
July 23, 2007 04:20AM
whenever we dive at Odyssey dive club we take out the rubbish that we see in the water and during our lunch break we do a bit of cleaning on the beach.It all helps
July 23, 2007 10:59AM
I find that when the out of towners head to Fourka, for the weekend (every week) the amount of rubbish dumped on the beach is unbelieveable..plastic bags, disposable nappies (not disposed of properly,more plastic bags, drinks bottles buried half way in the sand. Why do I say out of towners, because they tend to use a certain stretch of the beach away from where the tourists are hiring the sunbeds/brollies around the bars and hotel.
Last year there were bins allocated on the beach, this year not.
And, the previous year, a group of local boys actually went round the beach armed with bin liners clearing up after the mucky lot who left their rubbish.
Its amazing how some of the local business people despair at 'their own' for being such litter louts.

July 23, 2007 06:22PM
just outside Pefkohori there is a beautiful stretch of beach and pine forest and a natural harbour.it is spoilt by a mountain of stinking rubbish thrown away by illegal campers and caravaners.They also use the woods as a toilet.All this when there is a camp site a few k's down the road.Why don't the local council and police ernforce the no free camping laws
July 24, 2007 01:54PM
Sounds to me the authorities are just lapsy dazy in implement laws, just like the laying down of poison. As I state in another thread, they want the euros spent by tourists, through the local businesses, but won't do anything about anything.

July 25, 2007 08:53AM

Everyone blames the tourists to the area, but in the winter when there are no tourists who is it that leaves the rubbish on the beaches.

July 25, 2007 09:17AM
Interesting debate who leaves the litter.

20 locals visit the beach one of them drops litter you have to searce to find that litter the following day that person stays at home so no-one drops litter.
2000 tourists visit and one in 25 drops litter all of a sudden you think it is the tourists that drops all the litter as there is loads of litter on the beach. All i can say is at the moment i am a tourists but when i move to greece for longer periods of time will i be classed as a "local" either way i would like to think i never drop litter so it is unfair to label locals or tourists as the litter louts, just take your rubbish home
July 26, 2007 03:37AM
the locals do drop far more litter than the tourists.The mountain of rubbish mentioned above starts well berore the tourists arrive and all the caravans parked illegally there have Greek plates.Have a look at how many greek cars have rubbish thrown out of them.it's a shame as it is a beautiful country
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login