Polychrono

Polychrono

Posted by Susan A 
Re: Polychrono
October 30, 2007 10:32AM

hi...

Go down the coast to Paliouri Bay, speak to the people on the" Pirate ship" Menia Maria the same company run daily cruises to Mount Athos sailing from the east side of Sithonia the Holiday companies all do coach trips but its probably cheaper to get there on your own, if you are hiring a car, there are also Flying Dolphon trips to Skiathos every day from Nea Moudania
February 17, 2008 03:46PM
Hello to all Im new to the forum so I hope ive posted ok! Fingers crossed and all that.

Hubby and myself are off to Haladiki in Sept 08! Staying at the Fanis apartments in Polychrono. Could anyone of you nice people out their tell me what the area and the apartments are like? I would be very greartful. Also will the sun be out then? or still snowing lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2008 05:55PM by holey.
February 20, 2008 11:42AM
Holey

Been to Polichrono about a dozen times in the last 7 years, never stayed at the Fanis but there are plenty of threads on the forum that sing its praises for the facilities and the friendliness of the family who run it..

The apartments are locatted on the beach front between the Laska Bar (music. karaoke, sky sports) and a pizza restaurant. Go past the pizza place and theres a range of restaurants along the promenade and up the side streets.

Polichrono is a laid back resort with a good beech, there's a music bar, The Tropical, at the other end of the beech.

As for the weather, I went early September last year and it was pretty cold, apparently a north wind from the mountains but I have been previous years at the same time and its been warm enough during the day maybe a jumper needed in the evening.
February 23, 2008 07:31PM
Hi
The Fanis is a great place to stay you should also look at the photos I posted last year - if you click on Users' photo albums and search for Fanis, there's some nice views. We are returning this summer for the third year on the run and you will find that lots of people do. It's in a great spot and the family look after you really well and make sure you have a very relaxing holiday.
February 23, 2008 09:10PM
Yes September last year was cold because of the wind. It was actually about 75-80 degrees F but the wind made it feel cold. They had brilliant weather right from mid April (80deg) to end August, Then we had a huge storm. On our side two villages flooded. On the other side Hanioti way there were huge hailstones! This is unusual, but weather patterns are changing all over.

We stay from March til October, but in the past on holidays have been in June and September and always had good weather. Last year October was nicer than September! We were still swimming in the sea til about 6 October then the wind picked up slightly. Nevertheless days of around 70 deg were there til end Oct.

Cross fingers, last years September wind was a hiccup. We really could have done with it in August which was sweltering and needed a breeze which never came.

Have a great time.
J1979
June 19, 2008 08:40PM
Hi all

Just come back today and wanted to say great place and great people. Full dues to all the staff at the Fanis who always have a smile, despite one or two grumpy guests who shall always remain nameless!

Wanted to post some notice to those that haven't been to the resort before - sorry if this is a bit longwinded,,. This is not a reflection on the hotel, but more of the area. With the Euro the way it is at the moment, Polychrono can be pretty pricy. Apart from the hotel (obviously!) avoid drinking on the front if you can as it is far from cheap. The cheapest place for booze is the Fashion Bar (which was quickly renamed the euro bar by ourselves for reasons which become clear, which is really a fast food joint, but the wine is served in a half litre jug and the pints come thick and fast, each coming in at just 1 euro per drink! Each are both very drinkable and we often had one or two hazy nights from starting and finishing our evenings there...its usually a good indication as its always busy with locals. There is albanian guy who works there, who is really nice, despite his little english. He looked after us, despite how busy the place got. you can sit outside and it's right next to the main square and a great place to people watch.

One really big tip to anyone travelling is that we got stung on the cash front on our first night, not expecting the high costs. We burned through most of our cash in the first 3 or 4 days and didn't take travellers cheques as no apparent bank to cash them (correct me if i am wrong), knowing that there was a cash point on the main road to take money from if need be. THIS CASH POINT DOESN'T WORK!!! I took a long and extremely hot walk to Hanioti (pardon my spelling if wrong) down the busy and dangerous road about 4 miles away where there are loads that do work, but you can do this trip in a taxi for 7 euros so would recommed not walking (we speculated the taxi drivers had broken it for the trade but that thought soon passed). At the fanis you can hire a safety deposit box for a week for about 15 euros, which is worth it for peace of mind, although its entirely up to you....better to be safe than sorry...sorry bad joke. Recommend take more cash and keep it in the safe until you need it.

Also, finally... If you pop to the Cockney Cafe (as posted - great brekkie), see if Debbie is around (I think she is usually there around lunch time) and she will give you a free guide to the area which is paid for by the local businesses through advertising. It mainly talks about the local history etc, but has some useful things like phrases and driving routes. We only picked it up toward the end of the hol and wished we had met her there sooner. She also gave us a free drink (bogof) at the Tropical cocktail bar, which when coupled with their happy hour (before 11pm) is two propper cocktails for only 4 euros...always rounded the evening nicely..plus a nice atmosphere in there with modern music for the younger peeps.
Hope this all helps and hope everyone enjoys there time...ps it only rained once in a week with an hour long thunder storm (very impressive lightening) and the temp was scorching this morning!
June 20, 2008 12:36AM
We will be there again !!! from the 7th July for 1 week will be at " Nemo " most days and nights , far north end of the front .................................
June 27, 2008 10:31AM
hi, we arrive in Royal Kostas on 14 July, as two adults and a ten year old and we were wondering if any kids about aged 10 were arriving too. thanks x
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login