U.K to Greece - Car & Ferry advice needed!

mark in manchester
U.K to Greece - Car & Ferry advice needed!
June 12, 2006 05:47PM
Hello!!

We want to take a family of 3 from Manchester to Greece using car and ferry. Can anyone please tell the easiest way to arrange this. If you can give us contact numbers and/or route maps that would be great. If someone has already done this themselves we would appreciate a breakdown of prices etc...

thanks. Us 3 x
Re: U.K to Greece - Car & Ferry advice needed!
June 12, 2006 06:03PM
Hi, I can't give you prices at the moment as I am in middle of packing and about to set off for Greece.

However, we went to Halkidiki three years on the trot, for 9 months at a time.

The route we took was drive from Derbyshire to Dover, ferry over to Calais. Stayed overnight just outside Calais. Next day drove to Strasbourg, stayed overnight. Next day drove to Sirmione on Lake Garda and stayed overnight. Last day drove to Venice and got ferry over to Patras, two nights on board. Arrived early morning and drove to Halkidiki.

Timings. We based our journeys on days of around 350 miles. We could have driven from Strasbourg straight through to Venice, but fancied Lake Garda and liked it so much we kept to the same itinerary all three years.

Boat over to Patras, I believe there is now a superfast ferry which takes the timings down to one night.

There is a good ferry site [www.ferries.gr] run by Paleologos Shipping. We used this company all three years. We booked tickets and they were delivered to us by special delivery within days.

We did not really budget hard as we were on a three year break from work. So our hotels although not 5* luxury were more upmarket than cheaper end. In Calais a lovely BW chateau, in Strasbourg a city hotel (only city I did not feel safe in though, be careful there), in Sirmione a lovely hotel in the old town 4*.

From what I can remember the ferry to and from Venice/Patras was cheaper than the ferry return from Dover to Calais !!! (they do not give discount for long term returns, I can never see the reason for this as you only take up the same space on the boat whether one day later or one year, anyway.....)

We know of other people doing different routes, but this one worked for us. We also used the toll roads in France as they were so quick, well maintained and empty! In Switzerland you had to buy a toll pass, but this lasts for one year so was valid for return. We did get a speeding fine first time through Switzerland coming out of a tunnel, as did hundreds of other people. But it cost us about £400, for about 5mph over limit. A lesson learned for our future trips that was. They are very keen on speed and fines in Switzerland.

Hope this helps a bit. If you are not going immediately and have time for more info, let me know and I will get back to you.

However, off to finish packing and off to Greece til 7 July.

Cheers
Jane

BTW, we enjoyed every minute of our journeys. The motorway stops in Italy/Switzerland were fantastic, not like motorway cafes as we know them. All fresh food, loads of choice, fruits, breads you name it they had it, marvellous.
cheryl
June 12, 2006 10:13PM
Hi,
Besides travelling by ferry from Italy which can be quite expensvie you can also drive through the old Yugoslavia. It is totally safe to do so again and you shouldn't have any problems. You'll pass through slovenia, croatia, serbia and Skopje (don't know if iI've missed any out there) your insurance should cover this but make sure that you have got a green card for serbia. All of these places are becoming tourist destinations again so you should be fine and it's probably a bit cheaper than the ferry from Italy which is getting quite expensive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2006 09:07AM by Nikos.
June 13, 2006 05:15AM
Hi MARK
I have to agrre with Cheryl that is totaly safe to drivre through the old Yugoslavia. I've beeing going
to Austria since the war was finished (nearly 10 years now) every X'mass and we had no problem
AT ALL !! And is very cheap too !!
If you still want to drive through Italy here is a route from England:
Harwich A120
Harbour Port Stenna Lines
Hook of Holland
A20 Rotterdam
A20 - E25 Gouda
A12 - E35 Arnhem
A 3 - E35 Oberhausen
A3 - E35 Kolhn

Siebengebirge overnigt stop.

A3 - E35 Frankffurt
A3 - E41 Wurzburg
E43 around Wurzburg
A3 - E45 Nurnburg
Change Motorways
Inglostadt
A9 - E45 Munchen
Ring road
E45 - E52 - A99
E45 - E52 - A8 Rqsenheim
E52 - A8 Salzburg
A10 - 55 Villach
Austria - Italy border
E55 - A2 - A23 Udine
From Udine you follow the Motorway to VENICE !!
In Venice you can take one from the 2 Ferries to Greece with ANEK LINES or MINOAN LINES every day to Igoumenitsa (GREECE)
From Igoumenitsa you take the road to Ioannina (EGANATIA ROAD) part time Motorway to Thessaloniki and then Halkidiki

I hope that helps
Sakis

PS
Saying that please let me wish a safe journey to my Friends John and Barbara from Bolton as they are on the way to halkidiki by car, driving through Yugoslavia too! ( I believe they are near
Zagreb at the moment)
June 13, 2006 10:33AM

Hey folks

Thank you all for replying..hopefully we'll make it there for XMAS!! :-)

Sakis..I have tried emailing you at kriopigi.net AND kriopigi.org so hopefully will get through to you soon.

ANYONE....If you're in halkidiki this summer look out for us 'OKEY DOKEY KARAOKE'. Fingers crossed we'll be there...somewhere! Come along and give us a song.

Bye for now.

us x

cheryl
June 13, 2006 11:32AM
Hi Sakis,

They aren't there yet they are syill in Salzburg for a couple of days pretending to be cultural!!! they should be with you by the weekend to disturb your piece for a few weeks. love to all and wish that i was there too xxx
June 13, 2006 02:41PM
Hi Cheryl !!
Tell them to bring some sunshine from ....Austria as it rains and rains and rains here for the last
4 - 5 days!!!
Give our love to Elanor and to John. Oh to Borris too!!
Are you coming this year ??
Love to all
Sakis and Family
Julie
June 13, 2006 06:38PM
Mark, if you can post you email address on this message, I will be happy to email you a full driving route.
We drive to the UK and back every year.
Frank Wilkinson
June 17, 2006 12:33PM
Thank you all for information, but we are making the final destination ZAKYNTHOS (Zante) any futher hints from intrepid travellers??
Debbie GOOGLERS
June 18, 2006 08:04PM
Hi Cheryl, Just a few lines to say hello while you are on here, where are you girl ? I saw your mum and dad yesterday, they are very good but dad needs a bit of tanning ahahah, Kerry and Jay are having a great time shame you and John arent here , never mind theres always next year! please give Elanor a huge cuddle for me ,mum says she just like you ..... well take care love from Debbie and Tony xxx
Cheryl
June 25, 2006 10:09AM
Hello Sakis and Debbie etc...

Only just seen your messages from you two, sorry that i didn't reply. No we can't can't make it this year as we are poor. But if you would like to set up a Kripigi fund for us in Akropolis and Casablanca to raise flight money we'll be over!!!! Really wish that we could be there, will try for next year!!!

Love to all

Cheryl, john and Eleanor xxx
(and Boris the bag too!!!)
caroline shreeve
July 06, 2006 08:01PM
JUST A THOUGHT. I AM A 62-YEAR-OLD, ACTIVE AND ENERGETIC, SEMI-RETIRED GP AND I AM THINKING OF DRIVING FROM UK TO MAINLAND GREECE PLUS 2 SMALL DOGS. I CAN GO ALONE I GUESS, BUT A COMPANION TO SHARE JOURNEY, DRIVING AND DIRECTIONS MIGHT BE REALLY GOOD. REASON FOR GOING - WONDERING WHETHER WE (DOGS AND I) MAY END UP LIVING THERE. ALSO ADORE CLASSICAL SITES, MUSEUMS ETC AND LIKE ATHENS CONSIDERING I AM NOT A LOVER OF TOWNS AND CITIES. ALSO HAVEN'T HAD A BREAK FOR 18 MONTHS AND AM THINKING OF GOING THIS V LATE AUTUMN OR WINTER OR EVEN NEXT SPRING. THANKS, AND WHOEVER YOU ARE AND WHEREVER YOU ARE HEADING - BON VOYAGE, GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS...

CAROLINE SHREEVE
December 26, 2006 03:13PM
Hi Mark,

I purchased a house in Samos and need to travel to the Island with building materials in May / June time, and finding it very difficult to find information on the cheapest route, etc.

I live in Stalybridge, Manchester, if you could possibly contact me, you may just on the next street !!!!!

Regards

John
Nic
January 02, 2007 07:05PM
Hi,

I drove it last June, my girlfiend flew over from Greece, I drove down from Yorkshire to Gatwick, picked her up there, drove to Dover, got the ferry to Dunkirk using Norfolkline ferries, cost £34. Stopped overnight in Dunkirk at the Formula One Motel, cost 30 euros for a room (www.hotelformule1.com). Drove then through Belgium, Luxembourg, back into France and stopped at another Formula 1 at a place called Mulhouse near the Swiss border, cost again 30 euros. Next day drove through Switzerland (very nice drive) and stopped at the Motel Vezia in Lugano (www.motel.ch) cost about 100 euros. Following day short drive down through Italy to Ancona. Pre-booked ferry tickets via a company called aferry (www.aferry.to) cost was 184 euros for a cabin for 2 and 64 euros for the car, picked up the tickets at the ferry place, overnight ferry ride to Igoumenitsa, Greece, and then a nice few hours drive through the mountains down to Thessaloniki and then on to Halkidiki.
Brilliant drive, took 5 days from leaving Yorkshire....well worth it....and I'm still here!

Nic.
lee
March 30, 2007 12:37PM
The cheapest way is,calais in to belgium,germany,austria,then italy & get a ferry from venice,ancona,barry,brindisi to iganamitsa main land greece.The whole from the uk will be about 500 pounds i think or you can go through serbia n macedonia
Bijon
August 10, 2010 07:54PM
Hello
We're thinking of driving to Piraeus from the UK in December this year in time for X'mas. We want, if possible, to get there all the way by road from France (i.e. avoiding ferry crossings from Italy). Could anyone please help with an idea of costs (with minimum stopovers), advice about road conditions in the winter , green cards etc. The info on this website is very useful but its a little out of date (2006), so if anyone has any info of today's prices, conditions etc, I'd be very grateful.
Many thanks
Bijon
Susan Faragher
January 03, 2011 06:52PM
Hi Caroline

I dont know how old your note is but I would love to talk to you! I own a small house on mainland Greece - I turned 60 this year have 2 springer spaniels and would love to live in Greece long term for for a good while. I am ending a very sad relationship with an unadventurous man - I have owned the house in Greece for 20 years - the views are spectacular, and because it belongs to me and he wants to stay in
Cheshire, he isnt interested. I have visited my house alone for 3 years now. My house is in the Pelion region of Greece - a gorgeous part of mainland Greece and near Volos. Am looking for a person who loves Greece as much as I do and wants to live there. I also want to help the many stray dogs in Greece - I have a fundraising background and am very good at raising funds.

If you want to contact me, would love to hear from you = if you dont, hope there is someone out there who thinks the same as I do!

Best wishes

Susan
viv
April 10, 2011 08:09AM
Hi Susan,
I have a little house in Crete and although I am kind of stuck in the Uk caring for my mum I intend to travel with my dog who I rescued from Crete 5 years ago probably by car in the future. It was such a nightmare bringing him to the Uk on a plane. Would love to meet a like mindd person to keep in touch with till it is possible for me to travel again. Viv
Elysiumuk
April 24, 2011 06:09PM
I'm going to drive from Worthing west sussex to Thassos in August (I have place there) and looking for cheapest option - former Yugo route still seems best?

David
Mart
April 25, 2011 09:54AM
I have done the trip to Greece by car many,many times. I always go:

UK, France, Switzerland, Italy, - car ferry - Greece

I would NEVER consider driving through the former Yugoslavia

My route takes five days at a leisurely 350 - 400 miles per day with hotel / motel stops on three nights and one night on the ferry

I can supply a detailed route, good hotels, ferry details ETC if required
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login