Driving to Halkidiki

Driving to Halkidiki

Posted by pedro 
Driving to Halkidiki
March 16, 2013 09:19PM
Starting to plan my drive to Halkidiki next month.
I'll be going through France,Switzerland and Italy getting the Ancona- igouomitsa ferry.
Got the car serviced and will sort out some Europian breakdown cover just in case.
Just need some good weather so I can get the top of the MG down and enjoy the sun.
Halkidiki Lover
Re: Driving to Halkidiki
March 18, 2013 11:14AM
I think you have chosen the best route, I have done it many times. One word of warning though DO NOT BREAK THE SPEED LIMIT in Switzerland (or don't get caught) as the fines are very large and have to be paid on the spot., also dont forgett the new rules in France, hi viz jackets and alcahol breath testers must be present in the car, again watch rour speed around Calais as the cops look for cars fresh from the ferry.

Enjoy your trip
March 18, 2013 04:45PM
The new road from igouominitsa should make a big difference.The last time I drove it was the windy mountain route
March 18, 2013 04:48PM
I would avoid Switzerland...at the border you have to pay for a "Road Tax" sticker, to be legal on the Swiss roads that you will only be on for a few hours, best route is, through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and over the Brenner Pass. French roads are good but "Payage" is expensive.... Forget Ancona, get the ferry from Venice, saves a long drive and Venice is worth seeing while you wait for the ferry, the cost is not much different and time on the sea not much different either. At Igoumenitsa it`s a really good road, built at enormous cost to the E.U.tax payer ..until you get to the bit that has collapsed, then it`s a bit of a detour `til you get back on the good road to Thess.
Cristina
April 10, 2013 09:50AM
Me and my family will drive to Halkidiki too, this summer. From Italy we'll get the Ancona- igouomitsa ferry and then drive with our car.
I need informations about gas stations: someone knows where we can find LPG? I know that there are gas stations wich sell LPG in Igoumenitsa, Ioannina, Thessaloniki. Are there in Halkidiki too?
Thanks
April 10, 2013 06:58PM
Hi Cristina,
I know for sure that there are 2 gas stations which sell LPG on the main road close to Nea Moudania and another one in Sarti.
Have a relaxing holiday this summer!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login